Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-02-2004, 12:32 AM   #1
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Iím Looking for a region free PAL capable DVD player

My Malata N996 went out today. The display ceased functioning about a month ago and today it wouldnít work at all. Iíve been very pleased with the performance it has given over the past few years, and am sad to see it go. I could use some help from you folks with finding a replacement. Iíve looked through some old threads, but would like some direct advice. I need it to be region free and able to play PAL discs as well. The JVC XV-S500 seemed quite popular, but looking through different sites I failed to find that model. I was thinking about getting another Malata, but I donít know. I donít need an absolute top of the line player, but I would like something on par with my last one. One of the features I really enjoyed was itís zooming ability. It was a useful little tool. So that would be desired. Also, it would be nice to know a few good online stores that sell such machines. I canít remember where it was I bought mine. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Egg_Shen; 09-02-2004 at 12:47 AM.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:43 AM   #2
Nemesis

i'm not sure as i live in australia, but i can tell you there are a bunch of other threads somewhere about this exact same topic, you could probably do a search for "PAL Region Free player" and come up with some useful tips
Old 09-02-2004, 12:55 AM   #3
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
i'm not sure as i live in australia, but i can tell you there are a bunch of other threads somewhere about this exact same topic, you could probably do a search for "PAL Region Free player" and come up with some useful tips

Yeah, there are quite a few. I didnít mean to be repetitious, but there was so much info there I was having a hard time narrowing down a good player for me. I was very happy with the malata and was seriously thinking of purchasing the same model again. Itís the only region free PAL DVD player Iíve owned. I suppose itís between that and the JVC XV-S500, which I canít find.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:11 AM   #4
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg_Shen
Yeah, there are quite a few. I didnít mean to be repetitious, but there was so much info there I was having a hard time narrowing down a good player for me. I was very happy with the malata and was seriously thinking of purchasing the same model again. Itís the only region free PAL DVD player Iíve owned. I suppose itís between that and the JVC XV-S500, which I canít find.
Well for the record I have the JVC XV-SA602 (similar to the 500, I think) which I got from http://www.220-electronics.com. They were good with shipping, but there is an annoying flaw that they didn't know how to fix so I was going to send it back, but after some fiddling around I fixed it. I think it was just some setting they forgot to switch though, so it's no biggie. The player displays beautiful picture but my problem with it is on some anamorphic PAL DVDs the bottom widescreen bar has a jagged edge and comes up like a step, so the bar isn't straight across. I got accustomed to it though, and if you have an Anamorphic TV (or even one with Anamorphic enhancement, like the WEGA I recently bought) then it will be a non-issue. I'd recommend checking it out, but it does not have that super cool zooming feature in small increments. It does have a zoom option, but it goes in 50/100/200% steps. Nothing you'd ever watch zoomed out, but it is nice to have when the TV's overscan is noticable.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:14 AM   #5
RickMoe
Maniac

If you want a cheaply priced, but WELL worth it DVD player that has Macrovision removal, Region Free and PAL/NTSC capabilities... you should look into the LITE-ON LVD 2002. It's a bit of a sluggish player (slow starting, occasional bad starts), but with these listed capabilities, the $125 CAN I paid was WEEEEELLLLLLL worth it!! I've had it for 1.5 years and it's STILL going strong.

Check it out on www.dvdrhelp.com
Old 09-02-2004, 05:02 AM   #6
FulciZombieFan
Stalker

The JVC players use the same chipset as the Malata you had except the JVC models disabled the step zooming. Otherwise almost identical function but of course better build quality.

http://www.hkflix.com/ usually has the JVC models pre-moded to be region free for what seems to be a good price ... at least compared to some other on-line sites I've seen.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
I just checked the link to http://www.220-electronics.com/ provided above in another post and they in fact have the JVC players MUCH cheaper than HK Flix!

Last edited by FulciZombieFan; 09-02-2004 at 05:04 AM.
FulciZombieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:19 AM   #7
BloodMan
Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Stay away from the Akai region free players. Mine is slowly dying out on me. 2 months old.

If I Don't Have The Right To Torture You, Why Then Do You Have The Right To Torture Me By Taking Away The Pleasure That I Could Get From Torturing You?

Remember, one cannot make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on their butt, and who wants to leave butt prints in the sands of time?
BloodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:47 AM   #8
Paff

from Paff's Department of Redundancy Department:

The Toshiba SD-4900

Reliable, less than $100, easily hacked to all-region.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 01:28 AM   #9
saveyourservant

I have used the JVC s500 for almost two years and have never had any problems. It has the zoom ability, but I have never really used it. I got mine from an online vendor that specialized in Region Free Players.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:57 AM   #10
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

i have a Cyberhome 300 and it's regionless (remote control code) and PAL compatible (keeps the aspect ratio correct unlike some players). it was only $40 if i remember correctly.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:05 PM   #11
Agentsusp
Stalker

I got the JVC from 220-electronics and have been very happy with it.

I recently got a Phillips DVP-642 though from Target for 69.99 with a really quick and simple remote hack it is region free permanently and converts PAL to NTSC with no problem at all. Very happy with it.
Agentsusp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:51 PM   #12
x666x
HackMaster

I too have the JVC XV-SA602 and it is a solid machine in comparison to the cheaper mondels that are out there. The one problem that I still have with it as with my older Electrohome is the SCART issue. With some discs, camera pans and any kind of movement is slightly jagged as opposed to fluid.

The following movies (of mine) still have this problem:

Battle Royale Tartan Tin version
Laughing Dead
The first Night of the Demons in the PAL boxset
Mutilator

Does anyone have these discs and a (current) machine that plays these properly? I would recommend getting such a machine. So far I am 0 for 2.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:24 PM   #13
wizzer
get outta here ewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by x666x
I too have the JVC XV-SA602 and it is a solid machine in comparison to the cheaper mondels that are out there. The one problem that I still have with it as with my older Electrohome is the SCART issue. With some discs, camera pans and any kind of movement is slightly jagged as opposed to fluid.

Laughing Dead
The first Night of the Demons in the PAL boxset
Mutilator

Does anyone have these discs and a (current) machine that plays these properly? I would recommend getting such a machine. So far I am 0 for 2.

the only one i have on your list is the night of the demons one and it does in fact have this problem on my cyberhome 1500 and my magnavox both of wich are region free.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:36 PM   #14
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by x666x

My understanding on this title is that it is due to a mastering issue, not playback. Something about PAL to NTSC back to PAL.

I'll probably eventually buy one of the NTSC Battle Royale discs for the movie, and just keep the SE for the extras.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:40 PM   #15
x666x
HackMaster

Apparently, some machines do not have this problem, though.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote