Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-13-2012, 04:48 AM   #181
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Apparently this was the first non-Darabont episode. I think I felt the change. The whole aftermath of the zombie barn felt anti-climatic. The ending tavern scene was fantastic though...great tension...still doesn't make up for the 50 minutes of nothing.

I feel a great moment coming soon though. It seems as though they are going to bypass Wiltshire and the prison and get right to the "Governor" type scenerio? From the previews next weeks episode looks like it could deliver.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #182
ZoSo
The Fucking King

Liked the ending scene. Rick is breaking out of his pussy shell. Thought it was odd they left the car accident up in the air like that tho...

- Smelling of death since 1976!
- I warned you not to go out tonight.

Drugs of choice: #1 | #2 | #3
The Faces of Fu: Check It Out!
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #183
allmessedup
It's beer time.

It's been hit or miss with me, but tonight's episode was good. Sometimes I feel like the dialogue is moving stuff forward, sometimes I don't. Tonight I was pretty happy with it.

I watched Talking Dead tonight, Glen Mazzara looked like he wanted to punch Dave Navarro.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #184
Mr. Eddy
Stalker

At least they played Clutch at the end!
Mr. Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #185
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmessedup View Post

I watched Talking Dead tonight, Glen Mazzara looked like he wanted to punch Dave Navarro.
Haha...yea. At least Navarro had the balls to say what the majority of viewers are thinking. Fans should be thanking him.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #186
JGrendel
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Haha...yea. At least Navarro had the balls to say what the majority of viewers are thinking. Fans should be thanking him.
Thanks Dave!!!!!
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #187
allmessedup
It's beer time.

I felt the same way....so did that first caller apparently. I'm glad someone has finally voiced that opinion on Talking Dead, and also glad they didn't drag out the old "Well, this show isn't really about zombies, you don't get it..."

This episode was still not that bad as far as zombies compared to some of the others, but I get pretty tired of the philosophical discussions.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #188
Paff

Can anyone bullet point what Dave Navarro said?

I've been pretty forgiving of the series so far, as it was always about the survivors and their interactions. I don't need a zombie attack every 2 minutes. That's a video game, not a television series.

That all said, they do need to amp up the action, and above all, the SUSPENSE. Last 5 minutes doesn't count. In the comics, there was always the lingering threat of zombies. Whether it was a jawless zombie on the side of the road saying "guhhhh", or the tension (and smell) of everyone sleeping in the RV. Right now, it's all cush in that big farmhouse. It's like Little House on the Prairie with an occasional zombie scene (which now that I mention it, would have made that series a lot more enjoyable). I'd like a little more tension and sense of imminent danger, and less time spent learning that no woman has ever said "I love you" to Glenn. Hey, that's just me.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #189
allmessedup
It's beer time.

He basically said "I've invested 14 hours of my life into this show and want to see more zombies."
Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #190
shape22
HackMaster

I gave up on The Walking Dead after the first couple episodes of Season 2. It definitely wasn't a matter of too little zombie action. I just never took to any of the characters. They're not a particularly interesting or well-developed bunch. And their pettiness didn't ring true for me. I'm not generally an optimist when it comes to human behavior. But I have to believe that people confronting the apocalypse would be a little less concerned about nonsense.

The best TV dramas, like Deadwood, manage to establish a group of identifiable real people early on. The Walking Dead never cleared that hurdle. I hung in there for a long time because the show's potential is obvious. But it never became compelling enough to really hook me.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #191
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

The bar for outstanding zombie/end-of-the-world entertainment was set pretty high by Stephen King's THE STAND back in '94, so they're going to have a tough time topping that, regardless of the quality of the zombie effects. I'm having a hard time liking the characters on Walking Dead but it's the story that I find most problematic with the show, specifically the pacing. I'd like to see this bunch get out of the farm and get moving, to a major city, where the potential for danger and suspense is greater. I'm not giving up on this thing, not yet at least.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #192
JGrendel
HackMaster

What urks me about the show is this group tends to do first & then think about it later thus causing them to put themselves in needless danger for nothing. For example in the last episode we have laurie going off to find rick & glenn after Rick specially told to stay. She put herself in danger for no reason & now she's overturned on the side of the road & we have no idea the condition of the baby. It's just plain stupid.
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #193
allmessedup
It's beer time.

That is pretty annoying, when characters are doing dumb stuff to where it's obviously a plot device to create a cliffhanger situation.

I still watch the show and like it for the most part, but it's nowhere near as good as I thought it was going to be when it first started.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #194
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmessedup View Post
, but it's nowhere near as good as I thought it was going to be when it first started.
That's because it's NOT as good as when it first started. I'm not gonna be one of those people who demands that a film (TV in this case) version remain rigidly faithful to the source material. After all, which version of The Shining do most people prefer?

But the reason this show had such promise is that the first episode was like it had used the first comic as a storyboard. It's that faithful. And while the direction had to change, it's not merely tossed out the story of the comic, it's tossed out the TONE of it as well, and that's the biggest sin.

I know the producers have heard the Navarro-esque complaint of "more zombies please!", and hope they don't placate with redundant zombie attacks (let's face it, there's only so many ways you can have a good zombie attack in a 2-hour movie, let alone a weekly series). As I said above, just apply the TENSION of living in a zombie-based world.

For example, the current farm scenario also occurred in the comics, but the point was made that they were still sleeping in the RV. Many comments were made about claustrophobia, lack of personal space, and ever-present BO. Again, not a single zombie there, but just knowing what's needed to survive adds so much more interest and suspense. As it is right now, the TV version is making it look like they have this huge farmland where they can do as they please, with the farmhouse basically acting as a resort hotel.

I'll still watch, as I think it's the only zombie-themed show in prime time, but it could be so much better.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #195
Dobby
HackMaster

Having never watched or seen this show myself at all. After glancing through 14 pages of various member replies. All I have gathered is this show is drama crap with the occasional cool zombie moments. THE END.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote