Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #346
maybrick
HackMaster

I'm finding people around here are simply way too willing to forgive lapses in logic when it comes to horror films. Just because these shows and movies involve supernatural beings is no excuse for lazy, hackneyed scripting and while it's okay in a film for it's monsters to defy reality and warp reason (to an extent), it is far from okay for it's human characters to do so. If the characters are not believable then it's easy to disconnect from their plight and difficult to care if they live or die.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #347
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Diamond View Post
And, Breaking Bad completely disagrees with your last point.
I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #348
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I'm finding people around here are simply way too willing to forgive lapses in logic when it comes to horror films. Just because these shows and movies involve supernatural beings is no excuse for lazy, hackneyed scripting and while it's okay in a film for it's monsters to defy reality and warp reason (to an extent), it is far from okay for it's human characters to do so. If the characters are not believable then it's easy to disconnect from their plight and difficult to care if they live or die.
Are some of us too willing to forgive or are you too unwilling to forgive? Either way, I guess it boils down to the fact that I might not be taking my entertainment as seriously as you are. I just demand to be entertained and, for me, lapses in logic and prop misuse don't usually tip the scale.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #349
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Breck View Post
Are some of us too willing to forgive or are you too unwilling to forgive? Either way, I guess it boils down to the fact that I might not be taking my entertainment as seriously as you are. I just demand to be entertained and, for me, lapses in logic and prop misuse don't usually tip the scale.
I only take something as seriously as the source material demands. I'm far less forgiving when it comes to gritty reality based programming like The Walking Dead than I am with something more tongue in cheek like Supernatural. That only makes perfect sense to me.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #350
Fistfuck
Helloooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Dear lord yes. Without question.

Andrea was pretty, but nowhere near Lauren Cohan.

Ever see her on Kimmel Chomp? More gooder!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCj3Lmz8nX4
Philly represent!

-Paff
Fistfuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #351
King Diamond
Victim

Quote:
I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
Awesome. I hope you enjoy it.
King Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #352
Mok
HackMaster

Quote:
Great point here. I definitely agree and am also one of the more forgiving fans.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #353
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

I guess I'm just expecting more from the biggest show on cable TV that has enormous budget. Sure, not everything should be addressed outright however having plot holes that you can drive a truck through are never acceptable. No one is really expecting high art from The Walking Dead, but I don't think it's unacceptable to expect better writing.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #354
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
I guess I'm just expecting more from the biggest show on cable TV that has enormous budget.
I’m pretty sure the budget was cut in each consecutive year its been on air…including $3.4 million to $2.7 million when it went from 6 episodes in season 1 to 13 episodes in Season 2.

Not exactly enormous...considering Game of Thrones is getting around $6 million per episode.

Last edited by Chomp; 04-08-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #355
baggio
HackMaster

Anybody watching this season?

Pretty good so far (2 episodes). Looks like the situation at the prison is gonna get real bad, real fast. Greg Nicotero directed the first episode.

Last night (episode 2) there was a homage to a scene in Day of the Dead. Won't spoil it any further than just saying that.

Last edited by baggio; 10-21-2013 at 08:11 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #356
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I think I'm about done with this show. I'm surprised I made it this far.

It follows the same sleepy style storytelling that AMC employed for Breaking Bad and it's other shows, where nothing happens, nothing happens, nothing happens, something starts to happen, the episode ends. Then instead of picking up on that cliffhanger, the next episode is nothing happens, nothing happens, nothing happens, something starts to happen, the episode ends.

Their scripts must be 10 pages long because there is so little dialogue.

The first season was really good, the second season had some strong moments but was just a little too drawn out, but from then on the show has become near unwatchable.

Also don't appreciate that they cater so much to the comic book crowd and left the rest of their audience in the dust. I remember one of the season finale cliffhangers, it ends on some square building in the distance. Okay? What does that mean? What are we even looking at? Come to find out it was a prison and the only way you would know this or take anything away from that cliffhanger is if you had read the comic books. I hadn't read the comics, and this is the point where this show and I should have parted ways. But I stuck around anyway and the show has just gotten lamer and lamer.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #357
cjg
Maniac

Unhappy

Pretty good so far but they did kill off one of my favorite characters RIP Hat you will be missed.
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #358
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I think I'm about done with this show. I'm surprised I made it this far.

It follows the same sleepy style storytelling that AMC employed for Breaking Bad and it's other shows, where nothing happens, nothing happens, nothing happens, something starts to happen, the episode ends. Then instead of picking up on that cliffhanger, the next episode is nothing happens, nothing happens, nothing happens, something starts to happen, the episode ends.

Their scripts must be 10 pages long because there is so little dialogue.

The first season was really good, the second season had some strong moments but was just a little too drawn out, but from then on the show has become near unwatchable.

Also don't appreciate that they cater so much to the comic book crowd and left the rest of their audience in the dust. I remember one of the season finale cliffhangers, it ends on some square building in the distance. Okay? What does that mean? What are we even looking at? Come to find out it was a prison and the only way you would know this or take anything away from that cliffhanger is if you had read the comic books. I hadn't read the comics, and this is the point where this show and I should have parted ways. But I stuck around anyway and the show has just gotten lamer and lamer.
Well, excuse me but that is just silly. So the show based upon a comic book actually makes a few nods to it's source material? And what is sillier, taking that opinion and walking away now that the show is absolutely nothing like the comics? Trust me, if the tv producers were really trying to cater to the comic book crowd then they wouldn't have taken an immensely popular character like Andrea and turned her into the stupidest and most irritating person in the series.

I can appreciate your difference of opinion, but I honestly don't see how anybody could complain about the slow pace of the show but swear that the first season was not only good but "really good". To me, the show was mind numbingly boring and flat out stupid until the kid popped out of the barn at the mid point of season 2. Talk about wanting to give up on it, I was just about to until that happened.

This is a good start to the season. I hope they live up to it's potential.

Last edited by maybrick; 10-21-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #359
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Shiiiiit...I actually agree with maybrick.

The only good thing about season 1 was the pilot...everything else seemed as if it was shot for the Sy Fy channel. And if you didn't read the comics and could not tell that was a prison at the end of season 2...go to the eye doctor.

Season 3 is great so far....tons of gory zombie action (some of the stuff I have no idea how they get away with) and it looks like Rick is going to take back the reigns and get bat shit crazy once again. I cant wait.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #360
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Shiiiiit...I actually agree with maybrick.

The only good thing about season 1 was the pilot...everything else seemed as if it was shot for the Sy Fy channel. And if you didn't read the comics and could not tell that was a prison at the end of season 2...go to the eye doctor.

Season 3 is great so far....tons of gory zombie action (some of the stuff I have no idea how they get away with) and it looks like Rick is going to take back the reigns and get bat shit crazy once again. I cant wait.
Fuck you, chomp. You know you love me.