Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #361
Paff

Actually, Capt Hook does have a point about the season 2 cliffhanger, with the shot of the prison and the introduction of Michonne. I do think they were nods to the comic fans, who'd been impatiently waiting for both plotlines. I can't "unread" the comic and be able to assess if I would have had the same response as a non-reader of the comic did.

But really, the references to the comic are actually few and far between. You don't need to have read it in order to know what's happening. I think those above mentioned scenes were actually a way of luring back the fans of the comic, as it had almost completely detoured from the source material after the pilot episode. It's a good example, but also probably the only example of a scene where one should have read the comic first.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #362
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Personally, having not seen the comics, I guessed it to be a prison and was excited for the next season to start. I thought it was a cool cliffhanger. But that's just me, I like it when things are unexplained.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #363
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

If you feel THAT left out that you find it is a hindrance to your enjoyment of the show, why not just pick up one of the compendiums and read it? Even though the two are completely different entities, if you are that inclined to mention that you don't know what this place is or who this person is...just read the comic. I mean its a great fucking comic for crying out loud. Why not read it?
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #364
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

I think it's been a pretty great season so far. I'm not sure where else you find horror gore like this on television.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #365
Mok
HackMaster

The show feels a bit bloated. Here are a few highlights of season 4:
- "Hey you're that Daryl guy who caught a deer! Can I shake your hand?"
- Rick dinks off with an Irish woman for no reason.
- Rick and Daryl nod at each other for the umpteenth time.
- Glen has become annoying and useless. He loves his girlfriend. We get it.
- Apparently teaching kids about survival during the zombie apocalypse is a sticking point?
- Mishone twisted her ankle.
- It's wrong to eat pigs.

Yeah, I'm annoyed with the show. Season 2 started with the group getting their shit ruined on the highway. Season 3 started out with not only zombies in the prison but unruly prisoners too! Season 4 starts off with people dying of the flu?

All that said, I'll still watch the show even when it gets to the point where it's all about the group having to wait for a table at a chinese restaurant. Looks like next episode ups the anti.

Last edited by Mok; 10-22-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #366
Ptflea2
Maniac

LOVED last season, but yeah, color me unimpressed so far with the start of this season. Fences falling and rats getting fed to Walkers, oh my!
Ptflea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #367
7dizbust
Victim

Wow, tough crowd.
7dizbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #368
Mr. Eddy
Stalker

So far I can't get into it. Boring!!!!!
Mr. Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #369
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
Season 4 starts off with people dying of the flu?
Really? Are you that quick to forget the "rain of zombies at the Walmart"?

Sure there are many things to nag about, but to say nothing has happened this season while ignoring that spectacular spectacle is the sign of someone who wouldn't be satisfied by anything.
KGBRadioMoskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #370
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Really want to love this show but it's tough. Lately I've been watching it with my wife and providing my own Rifftrax-like commentary to keep us both entertained.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #371
Mok
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBRadioMoskow View Post
Really? Are you that quick to forget the "rain of zombies at the Walmart"?

Sure there are many things to nag about, but to say nothing has happened this season while ignoring that spectacular spectacle is the sign of someone who wouldn't be satisfied by anything.
Put the gun down, I'm still watching the show and I like those parts. It's more about moving things along. I'm cool with stopping to take things in, but this season started off by stopping to take things in. Countless one-on-one conversations that aren't all that compelling or necessary.

But it looks like shit may be getting interesting, finally, after last night's episode. (I still feel like they're still dragging their feet though. Why not start things off with Rick inspecting the burned bodies and have a quick flash back to the tussle with Tyrese? Boom, we're all caught up.)

Any ways, the real show occurred on The Talking Dead where Marilyn Manson made an appearance and agitated the fuck out of the host. I think Marilyn was on something because he would hijack the conversation and go off on his own tangent. Uncomfortable and yet entertaining to watch. He made one real great point though. Or at least tried to in light of Carol's development. He said that when Rick took off the police hat, that is when characters started becoming their own authority. Maybe that was obvious to everyone else, but I missed it. I'd have to re-watch those episodes to see how things unfolded in season 2.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:52 AM   #372
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
Any ways, the real show occurred on The Talking Dead where Marilyn Manson made an appearance and agitated the fuck out of the host. I think Marilyn was on something because he would hijack the conversation and go off on his own tangent. Uncomfortable and yet entertaining to watch. He made one real great point though. Or at least tried to in light of Carol's development. He said that when Rick took off the police hat, that is when characters started becoming their own authority. Maybe that was obvious to everyone else, but I missed it. I'd have to re-watch those episodes to see how things unfolded in season 2.
He had little bits of wisdom accompanied by the rantings of a blithering idiot. What a fucking douchebag! I never liked Manson!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #373
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Manson was obviously lit...shame too because I was actually looking forward to him being on the show. Not because I'm necessarily a fan of the guy but because he is usually well spoken with a higher level intelligence. I thought it would be refreshing for the show. Not that night...Jack Osbourne had a higher maturity level than Manson.

It was fun watching Hardwick's patience completely fade as the show went on...he went from jovial joking around to just cracking jokes at Manson's expense. Goddamn...no idea why this show exists.

I felt bad for Gale Anne Hurd though...she is more legendary than all three of those dickholes combined.

As for the episode itself...it was OK. I don't know, they need a goal or long term objective to string the episodes together. It seems like every episode this season has been formulaiclly the same. Basically everybody is just jerking each other off in the prison until someone does something stupid to rile up some zombies. Yeah, the zombie action is great, but they need another threat....the Governor needs to come back, someone needs to get lost, it needs to snow...something.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #374
shithead
Death By Ejaculation

Manson was the most entertaining Talking Dead guest yet!

Even better than the night's actual WD episode.

My DVDs
shithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #375
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

It hit me while watching this the other night that I was actually watching a show about people fighting a cold. Are they kidding me with this shit?

Last edited by Mikey Horror; 10-29-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Mikey Horror is offline   Reply With Quote