Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #376
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
It hit me while watching this the other night that I was actually watching a show about people fighting a cold. Are they kidding me with this shit?
When was the last time that you had a cold that caused you to vomit blood?

There is the common cold and then there is influenza, which up until very recently killed millions of people without modern medicine. Get your head out of the sand.
maybrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #377
Paff

I like it far better than zombie apocalypse scenarios where all is well, and there's just a zombie horde outside. Meanwhile, we can relax in a mall and watch Animal House on the big screen TV we looted from Sears.

The loss of infrastructure puts people back in a world where simple things like contaminated water can cause death. And it's far more realistic. Did anyone see the reality show on Discovery this past summer called Naked and Afraid? They'd put two experienced outdoorsmen (well, and outdoorswomen) in a harsh world with absolutely nothing. In one episode someone drank water from a stream, and another stepped on a thorn. Both became life-threatening illnesses and the competitors had to be airlifted from the show!

Something like a deadly waterborne virus is probably far more realistic. And besides, what else would you have in a week-to-week zombie-themed TV show? A 42-minute battle between humans and zombies? Or another fight with a surviving band of people? This deadly flu bug, in a time where you can't just hop in your car and head down to Walgreens, is a good plotline.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #378
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

It's a show about a zombie apocalypse and we're talking about realism.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #379
MisterTwister
HackMaster

So far I'm loving the season.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #380
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
It's a show about a zombie apocalypse and we're talking about realism.
Yes we are.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #381
Mok
Family is Forever

I wish they'd stop jerking us off and move things along already. The first three or four episodes could have been condensed into one.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #382
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Selective realism may be a more accurate description. Sickness in their scenario would be very real and I think it's valid to explore it. At the same time, there's dozens of goofs and plot holes that have been outright ignored which flies in the face of realism. For example: why are they driving a 2013 Tuscon in 2010 that always manages to stay clean and undamaged, infinite ammo, showing a completely blown out wall in the prison and never make a reference to fixing it etc. etc.
17thJuggalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #383
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
Selective realism may be a more accurate description. Sickness in their scenario would be very real and I think it's valid to explore it. At the same time, there's dozens of goofs and plot holes that have been outright ignored which flies in the face of realism. For example: why are they driving a 2013 Tuscon in 2010 that always manages to stay clean and undamaged, infinite ammo, showing a completely blown out wall in the prison and never make a reference to fixing it etc. etc.
Good point.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #384
baggio
HackMaster

Here's something that always bothered me. Why didn't they just go and stay at Woodbury instead of the prison?

As far as the fences/gates issue it seemed like Woodbury was much more secure. Plus it had a better living environment. It looked like each person/family had their own living quarters that they could also use for additional protection.

Last edited by baggio; 10-30-2013 at 05:35 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #385
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
2013 Tuscon in 2010
They have never given dates on the The Walking Dead, so while taking issue with the cleanliness of the vehicles is valid, complaining about model years isn't. For all we know The Walking Dead takes place in the future.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #386
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Here's something that always bothered me. Why didn't they just go and stay at Woodbury instead of the prison?

As far as the fences/gates issue it seemed like Woodbury was much more secure. Plus it had a better living environment. It looked like each person/family had their own living quarters that they could also use for additional protection.
The Governor and some of his goons are still alive so that might deter them. They never make reference if they are still in Woodbury though.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #387
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post

Woodbury May have been defensible against zombies, but humans seemed to have a relatively easy time sneaking inside.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #388
Paff

I think it's just the general idea of a prison, something designed with security in mind. It was built to keep people in. A town is the opposite.

That said, they did make Woodbury seem kinda nice, with barbecues and stand-alone homes and all. My knowledge of the comics ends at Compendium 1, and they leave the prison at the end of that, so it's certainly not a permanent location in the source material. I'm guessing they move on eventually.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #389
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
For all we know The Walking Dead takes place in the future.
That's true, at least for the show. Kirkman said the comics took place when they were released which was 2003 at the time and they went forward from there.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #390
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

I really want to love this show, but its shortcomings are so glaring that I don't know where to start. It's biggest flaw is its inability to find the right balance between action and story telling. I know a lot of this has to do with the showrunner's position changing every season, which comes down to backroom politics of the television world, but after four seasons you would think they could finally get it right. Season one focused almost entirely on the action, which left the large cast of supporting characters to be neglected. Sure, it was only seven episodes, but when certain characters died, it was hard to feel any real sadness since we barely got a chance to know them. Season two suffered from the opposite, having too much character development and very little action. I swear, the whole middle of that season just drags because the characters keep going in circles arguing about the same problems. But, it does have some of the strongest moments in the series run (the barn sequence) and when members of the cast do die off, it is heartbreaking because we have an emotional attachment to them.
Season three seemed like it was going be the big turn around for the show, with a good balance of action and story, but the last 4 or 5 episodes is where things slow down to a fault. There is SO much filler and almost no pay off when the season finally ends I really didn't want to bother with this one. I fear that the writers of this show will become just as complacent as the writers of Dexter by playing it safe (I worry that the current line up of main characters are going to be here for the long haul for no other reason than to not piss off the fan base by killing anyone off) and sticking too close to the zombie lore. I'll give it until the mid season finally to really "Wow" me, but I think I might have to sit this one out if it doesn't.