Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #451
baggio
HackMaster

So what did everybody think of the season finale?
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #452
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I was hoping someone would die. Like Carl. No dice.

Whatever happened to that blonde girl? Maggie's sister. She just drove away a few episodes ago, didn't she? I can't remember for sure.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:15 PM   #453
NaturesMistake
Stalker

Well, I liked it. The flashbacks were overdone though and the proverbial pack of wolves Darryl was running with were disbatched too early. I'm pretty sure Terminus is the shows version of The Hunters much like how the Walking Dead game had its interpretation of human cannibals. I like this series and am thankful it doesn't follow the comics to a T because it gives us readers something different to watch.
NaturesMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #454
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturesMistake View Post
Well, I liked it. The flashbacks were overdone though and the proverbial pack of wolves Darryl was running with were disbatched too early. I'm pretty sure Terminus is the shows version of The Hunters much like how the Walking Dead game had its interpretation of human cannibals. I like this series and am thankful it doesn't follow the comics to a T because it gives us readers something different to watch.
That's a popular theory that I'm not ready to buy. The Hunters came along in roughly this part of the story and for that reason alone it seems as if people are reading things into Terminus that aren't there, or maybe are there but are planted by the writer as a bait and switch. I think the writing on the wall tells all the back story you need: Terminus was once a legit refuge, but inevitably the wrong people came along and made them suffer greatly. Many people died. Eventually they regained the upper hand but no longer trusted outsiders. So what do you do when you no longer trust people but have a base of operations with guide signs pointed to it for miles around?

Cannibalism is just too huge of a leap. Given their numbers they would need way too many victims to keep going, and humanity is in ever dwindling supply. Besides, The Walking Dead has never been known for its subtlety. If cannibalism is their intent, wouldn't that point have been really hammered home this episode? Why waste an opportunity to shock in the last scene of a season finale by not showing a roasting human foot on a stick?

Last edited by maybrick; 03-31-2014 at 09:43 PM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #455
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
That's a popular theory that I'm not ready to buy. The Hunters came along in roughly this part of the story and for that reason alone it seems as if people are reading things into Terminus that aren't there, or maybe are there but are planted by the writer as a bait and switch. I think the writing on the wall tells all the back story you need: Terminus was once a legit refuge, but inevitably the wrong people came along and made them suffer greatly. Many people died. Eventually they regained the upper hand but no longer trusted outsiders. So what do you do when you no longer trust people but have a base of operations with guide signs pointed to it for miles around?

Cannibalism is just too huge of a leap. Given their numbers they would need way too many victims to keep going, and humanity is in ever dwindling supply. Besides, The Walking Dead has never been known for its subtlety. If cannibalism is their intent, wouldn't that point have been really hammered home this episode? Why waste an opportunity to shock in the last scene of a season finale by not showing a roasting human foot on a stick?
They kinda did in a way.

Spoiler:
What about the yelling from inside the "other" box cars and the piles of bloody human remains clearly shown? Which looked quite "fresh" and not rotted. And there's the "corralling" the survivors almost like cattle (careful not to kill them) to the boxcar

Of course this could be just to trick the audience in thinking one way vs another.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #456
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Whatever happened to that blonde girl? Maggie's sister. She just drove away a few episodes ago, didn't she? I can't remember for sure.
She was taken, she didn't just drive away. That's obviously going to be a continuing plot for next season.

I know the show is nothing particularly cerebral, but it's still the best zombie show on TV right now.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:00 PM   #457
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
it's still the best zombie show on TV right now.
I think it's the only one though, isn't it?
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 PM   #458
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I think it's the only one though, isn't it?
Precisely my point. (although there is the French series The Returned about a bunch of people coming back from the grave, but it's not really zombies)

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #459
NaturesMistake
Stalker

That's what convinced me Baggio, but Maybrick is right in that it's not explicit and may not be what we think. The human remains, abundance of meat without farm animals, and the corralling of the group into shipping containers lead me to the conclusion. As a side note, the spokes person of Terminus reminds me of the main baddie from the Hunters, and the female cook reminds me of the cannibal mother from the game.

Last edited by NaturesMistake; 03-31-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:15 PM   #460
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
And that's why I believe it IS cannibalism. You've got the obvious foreshadowing of Rick showing Carl how to trap prey, and the exact same thing happens to them. Not to mention the fact that Terminus always seems to have a BBQ going, and they're not too subtle about showing it.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #461
NaturesMistake
Stalker

Quote:
And that's why I believe it IS cannibalism. You've got the obvious foreshadowing of Rick showing Carl how to trap prey, and the exact same thing happens to them. Not to mention the fact that Terminus always seems to have a BBQ going, and they're not too subtle about showing it.
Good point about Rick showing Carl how to trap... I'll be sad if they aren't cannibals... lol. I'm already set that they are the lazy ass man eating Hunters. It doesn't apply to the show, but did anyone notice that the Hunters are all twenty something Millennials in the comic? They were too lazy to hunt and did stuff the easy way. I think that is some darkly humorous satire.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 PM   #462
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
All I can say is that they better have a believable back story to this if that's where they're taking it. I do think that they're throwing away a great arc by not adhering closer to the Hunters storyline. It had a lot of potential for development.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 PM   #463
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Wow, excellent pick up on the trapping prey reference Paff.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:50 PM   #464
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Wow, excellent pick up on the trapping prey reference Paff.
From the moment the idea of Terminus was introduced I knew it'd be a trap, but just because they foreshadowed a trap doesn't necessary equal getting eaten. It would also work for trapping people for other nefarious ends.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #465
baggio
HackMaster

If I was writing the end, I wouldn't had the gang with Daryl incident happen at all. Instead have everybody including Rick, son , etc... get captured at Terminus. But have Daryl and his new found "friends" save them. Then a power struggle between both groups to run Terminus.

Maybe it's just me, but I wanted those guys to stick around a little longer. Jeff Kober fit the leader of that gang perfectly.