Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #76
j tea
Stalker

I had to mention this because I thought it was funny. Other Atlantans probably caught this. The iconic image they keep using of the main character entering the city on horseback is set on a short segment of freeway that doesn't go anywhere. It leads from downtown and dead-ends into a neighborhood east of the city but doesn't connect to any escape routes. All of the cars are headed in the direction of the neighborhood where it dead-ends. In reality I would think all the cars would be headed BACK INTO downtown where the highways and escape routes actually would be. It was fun in the opening episode picking out the sights in Atlanta though. Hope there is more of that.
j tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #77
j tea
Stalker

Pretty awesome last night! I was shocked by the gore level in the pivotal middle scene (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!).
Old 11-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #78
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

The series has already gone into full-blown soap opera mode. Every zombie film is fundamentally the same, so far the second episode was fundamentally the same as the first. I suspect the rest of the episodes will be too. Meanwhile surrounded by endless talking, waxing and waning from the cast, there just so happens to be zombies and occasional gore to keep people watching.

I am not interested in this.
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #79
j tea
Stalker

Have fun watching Two and a Half Men.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #80
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchrist View Post
The series has already gone into full-blown soap opera mode. Every zombie film is fundamentally the same, so far the second episode was fundamentally the same as the first. I suspect the rest of the episodes will be too. Meanwhile surrounded by endless talking, waxing and waning from the cast, there just so happens to be zombies and occasional gore to keep people watching.

I am not interested in this.
Is it at least Coronation Street with Zombies?
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #81
maybrick
HackMaster

Since the Walking Dead has always been about the relationships between people, yeah, it's going to have a bit of a soap opera element to it, naturally. I don't have a problem with that. It would be near impossible to make an ongoing series featuring the mindless living dead based on anything else.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #82
Paff

It's still the best zombie series on television right now

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #83
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Since the Walking Dead has always been about the relationships between people, yeah, it's going to have a bit of a soap opera element to it, naturally. I don't have a problem with that. It would be near impossible to make an ongoing series featuring the mindless living dead based on anything else.
That's my whole point. the only thing that makes a zombie movie good are the people, setting, and what they do to survive. And that got old by 1978. Fuck the zombies don't even matter, and to drag on an entire series, especially when the characters aren't showing themselves to be interesting, it is going to be like watching the same zombie drek every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff
It's still the best zombie series on television right now
You're right about that.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #84
maybrick
HackMaster

What makes The Walking Dead interesting is in seeing how the human race devolves over time, where you see how a normal law abiding citizen slowly turns into a cold blooded killer, and in some cases into psychotic despots and cannibals. You get that to a certain extent in horror movies, but not nearly to the depth that the comic series did. Most zombie films only give you a snippet of a few days or weeks of the characters lives, because that's all they can handle in under 2 hours. The Walking Dead goes on for years.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #85
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

That's fine, but the scenario has not hooked me into it to last that long. I don't have the patience to watch a show about a group of characters I don't care about become a mess. If I wanted to do that, I'd watch Jersey Shore.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:29 PM   #86
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchrist View Post
That's fine, but the scenario has not hooked me into it to last that long. I don't have the patience to watch a show about a group of characters I don't care about become a mess. If I wanted to do that, I'd watch Jersey Shore.
You're perfectly entitled to believe what you want of course, but I've never understood the necessity some people have to "care" about the characters in horror films, especially zombie films. If you don't like a character then it's almost worth it all by itself to wait for him or her to be eaten. (And most of these characters WILL be eaten.) I already dislike the wife and her cop boyfriend enough to want to see them die in some gruesome fashion.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #87
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

Of course, but I don't want to wait three or six seasons for it to happen. See the difference?
Old 11-09-2010, 03:58 AM   #88
dvdfan
Stalker

It's been picked up for a 13 episode second season. WooHoo!!
dvdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:58 AM   #89
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Actually, The Walking Dead is referring to the human characters which is the "twist". The comics always had zombies play a secondary role to character development and that's what made the comics work so well. The show is doing the exact same thing which is probably why it was greenlit as a series.

I admit that the first episode was leaps ahead of the second, but the second was still alot of fun.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #90
Mitbox
Stalker

I liked the second episode better, but I can't stop thinking that every scene is already done in zombie movie world. I still feel like watching a remake but at least is still entertaining. Besides I love Sarah Wayne Callies, since I first saw her on Prison Break I thought she looked italian enough for a zombie movie, and here we are... she's so beautiful...*sigh
Mitbox is offline   Reply With Quote