Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #91
Copyboy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitbox View Post
I liked the second episode better, but I can't stop thinking that every scene is already done in zombie movie world. I still feel like watching a remake but at least is still entertaining.
Ditto. The thing I'm most bothered/annoyed by is that not only have we seen everything that's presented here in other zombie movies, but in other non-horror movies as well. I have yet to see a single original idea in all this. So far, I'm still enjoying it despite its unoriginality.
Copyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #92
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copyboy View Post
Ditto. The thing I'm most bothered/annoyed by is that not only have we seen everything that's presented here in other zombie movies, but in other non-horror movies as well. I have yet to see a single original idea in all this. So far, I'm still enjoying it despite its unoriginality.
What other zombie film had people coating themselves in guts to camouflage themselves? I missed that one.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #93
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Give it a chance! I actually almost threw down the first issue in the comic shop, it pissed me off so much. All I saw was a direct rip off of 28 Days Later with the hospital scene. I kept hearing about how good it was getting and picked up the trades and was hooked. I've been reading the series ever since. The characters in the group and ones they meet are what makes it interesting. And yes, there will be a lot of stuff you've seen before. It is hard to make a totally original zombie film/book.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #94
Touch The Sun

i like the show, though. so it's been done before but if ts good why not enjoy it?!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #95
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

This was annonounced on imdb.com: The Walking Dead has been renewed for a second season. ALL RIGHT.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #96
KamuiX
The Eighth Samurai

Yeah, everyone needs to take a breath here. It should have been obvious from the beginning that the first season was going to feel like an extended film, and in the world of zombies, it's hard to establish something without rehashing a lot of ideas.

But remember, this initial season is ONLY six episodes, covering the first story arc and adding in some new elements. The second season has already been given the go-ahead for 13 episodes, which is where this is going to start to differentiate itself. The story stretches over YEARS, and the characters and their relationships with one another become so multi-faceted that it's going to be pretty crazy for those that stick with it to look back at the original episodes and see how far these people have gone. And what has been said already, if you're going into this show for the zombies, you should just delete it off of your DVR and move on because you're going to be disappointed. The show is going to be about the people, their relationships, and survival. There are multiple issues of the comic where there is no zombie action at all; this book could pull out zombies and insert a nuclear wasteland or any other massive disaster to humanity and it would be the same. The zombies are just the device to put the characters in the situation in which we get to observe how they manage. And as unoriginal as all of that may sound to those seasoned in zombie films, the characters are what make this (and you can't judge them yet off of two episodes; they're still being introduced) and it certainly is unlike anything on TV right now or in recent memory. Imagine what Lost would have been like without all the bullshit

Please visit my site...It's the future!

Wii Friend Code: 8897-8584-2714-5768 // XBL & PS3 GamerTag: KamuiXZero

Last edited by KamuiX; 11-09-2010 at 10:23 PM.
KamuiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #97
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

I'm not in it for the zombies, I'm in it for the story. Right now I don't see anything different than something like Lost and unlike Lost, at least I'm interested in what happens to those people. I am not here, and I gave up on Lost too after the first season.

Zombies? Could care less.
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #98
Copyboy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
What other zombie film had people coating themselves in guts to camouflage themselves? I missed that one.
They weren't covered in guts, but it reminded me of Shaun of the Dead when they tricked the dead by acting like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
Give it a chance!
As I said, I am enjoying it.

I'll try not to have any more negative opinions about this show. Sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't realize it had a Star Trek-like fan base.
Copyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:41 AM   #99
Paff

Quote:
They weren't covered in guts, but it reminded me of Shaun of the Dead when they tricked the dead by acting like them.
Yeah, I got a "Shaun" vibe from that scene too, even though in this case, The Walking Dead DID come first. And obviously, Shaun of the Dead plays the concept for laughs, quite the opposite of how they did it in Walking Dead. For that reason, I was hoping Glenn and Rick would just move slowly, and not shuffle like zombies, because then the scene would become too comical (thanks a lot, Edgar Wright)

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:01 AM   #100
zompirejoe
Maniac

I am a big fan of the comic, and so far I really dig this show ! The scene with Rick and Glen walking with the dead was suspenseful as hell. It's nice to see the book fleshed out so well, and great to see this stuff on TV.
zompirejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:50 AM   #101
TheShape
Victim

Quote:
I don't recall any zombie film with characters using that technique too. This was a scene that was both funny, tense and scary at the same time.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #102
spawningblue
Deadite

Watched the second episode last night and thought it was great. Don't know what people are complaining about it, but I can't wait for episode 3! And I agree, the scene where they were walking amongst the dead was tense as hell and something that I have never seen done before.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #103
blackeye
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
this happened in House of the Dead 2
blackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #104
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Finally got around to watching the first two episodes (my DVR is way backed up!) and enjoyed them quite a bit. Looking forward to future episodes.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #105
KR~!
The Apocalyptic Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfiend View Post
Finally got around to watching the first two episodes (my DVR is way backed up!) and enjoyed them quite a bit. Looking forward to future episodes.
Same here! I watched it on Video on Demand and it was amazing!

Also, as people here already pointed out, this series is based on a comic which was released long before other movies started the copy the comic.

- Johann von Goethe
KR~! is offline   Reply With Quote