Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 AM   #121
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR~! View Post
Sell them now while it's hot! Once the TV show levels off they go back to being worth 50 cents.
I'm still kicking myself for not buying #1. It is worth quite a bit!!

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bi...3634471744%201
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #122
Workshed
October!

So, where to sell issue #1? I've never used ebay. Anywhere else?

Also, what a strange season. I tuned in every week, enjoyed it--yet I'm not sure why.

The writing was often subpar: "And today was my sister's birthday," ha ha. I had a good chuckle at what was supposed to be a Very Dramatic moment. Really, her birthday? Why not have her win the lottery while we're at it? And battered wife going nuts with the pickaxe was a tired, predictable move.

The acting is, at times, wooden: see also Rick's accent. Ouch.

And there isn't much zombie action.

So why do I like this show? I dunno, but it works. I really enjoyed the CDC plot; wish they had extended it into next season. Loved watching the character "turn" into a zombie while he was still alive. Terrifying.

My bet for what was whispered to Rick:
Spoiler:
"Your wife is pregnant." And Rick realizes the baby can't be his.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.

Last edited by Workshed; 12-08-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:26 AM   #123
Paff

Yeah, I thought it got a little sloppy writing-wise towards the end. Worries me a bit, as in they could pull a "Heroes" or "Twin Peaks" and have a great first season but have nowhere to go in the second season. They almost seemed to be running out of steam with the 6th episode. Can they sustain it for the 13 episodes they've been picked up for?

There were some good points of the CDC storyline, which did not come from the comics, obviously (unless it's after the Compendium, which is as far as I've gotten). However, a few things like the blood test and demands to keep power consumption low were red herrings at best, and contradictory at worst.

I do think the blood test will lead to Workshed's spoiler, which as anyone who's read the comic knows, is indeed what happens.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #124
othervoice1
HackMaster

I refuse to read any of the posts in this thread in case there are spoilers cuz I just started watching this yesterday- actually the 1st longer episode yesterday and episode 2 tonight- very impressed so far and a bit surprised just how gory this actually is for an AMC tv series. Ill start reading everyone else's reactions once I get done with the other 4 episodes <:
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:12 AM   #125
Vortex
Stalker

The writing and lack of common sense killed this thing dead in it's tracks. Doubt I'll watch a second season.
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:42 AM   #126
msw7
Morso a morte

I watched the first episode, then had four or five more recorded that I just didn't muster enough interest in to watch.

*shrug*
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:57 AM   #127
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

I've had fun with it for what it was worth. The main problem is there is such a large ensemble cast and many are killed off after one or two episodes that we are never able to connect with any of them or feel sorrow when they die. The only cast members that have gotten an excess amount of character development have been Rick (Andrew Lincoln), Jon (Shane Walsh), Lori (Sarah Wayne Callies), Daryl (Norman Reedus) and to a lesser extent Andrea (Laurie Holden) and Dale (Jeffery DeMunn). As for the rest they are all just one dimensional throwaway characters who are only there as plot devices to keep the story in motion.
On the plus side of things, there is a lot of action that keeps things fast paced, plenty of suspense and tension during zombie encounters, and tons of set pieces that keep things fresh. And lets not forget a descent amount of gore which is surprising since it is a basic cable show.
But now that Frank Darabont has fired his entire writing team I'm nervous, this has bad karma written all over it. I have my fingers crossed that Darabont knows what he is doing and can hire more competent writers and pick up the slack with season two.

Season One Average: 7/10

Last edited by Hatchetwarrior; 12-09-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Hatchetwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:15 AM   #128
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

I loved the season with the exception of the last episode. The whole CDC thing was pointless and went nowhere. Rather than a climatic ending, it was just filler.

However, Darabont fired all of his writers and AMC confirmed that there will be "changes" in the writing staff next season.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 AM   #129
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

I can't seeing it being sustained. It had a great start and just filler since. the CDC thing was interesting, could have been almost a whole season of that. It's moving too fast to keep it together and the characters are not very likeable.
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:18 AM   #130
allmessedup
It's beer time.

I think it's one of those shows where I'm tuning in just to see how long they can sustain it. It's pretty draggy at times, but I understand the need to have episodes like that---you can't have week after week of characters running from zombies, thinking they're safe only to be in danger again.

Long term, I don't know how it can work over a 13-episode season without a major shift in the basic premise. I'm still happy the show is a success, and can't believe some of the stuff they've gotten away with. I don't really see this being one of those shows that lasts four or five seasons, though.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #131
Horrorphilly
Maniac

Does anyones cable On Demand have the 4th and 5th episodes? My OD doesnt, shame cause I wanted to see the last episode, or does anyone know where I can buy the episode and watch it on my tv?

Sean
Horrorphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #132
Copyboy
Maniac

I'll continue watching this when it returns but I think the UK's Dead Set was a much better zombie show.
Copyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #133
j tea
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorphilly View Post
Does anyones cable On Demand have the 4th and 5th episodes? My OD doesnt, shame cause I wanted to see the last episode, or does anyone know where I can buy the episode and watch it on my tv?
Sean
A friend of mine was buying them from ITunes.
j tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #134
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copyboy View Post
I'll continue watching this when it returns but I think the UK's Dead Set was a much better zombie show.
Wow. I'm not in total awe of Walking Dead (though I'll be quick to state I think it is a significant improvement over the comic). And I did enjoy Dead Set. But I'd be hard pressed to consider the latter to be better, even much better, than former.

Apart from the reality TV gimmick, which made a good excuse for the cookie cutter character personality acting (although apart from the director, the characters quickly lost their "distinctness" and just became generic victims in waiting), the show didn't really break any new ground in the "overrun by fast zombies" trend. It was competently done, but again apart from the setup premise it was just entertaining, not impressive.
KGBRadioMoskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #135
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copyboy View Post
I enjoyed The Walking Dead but I agree, so far I enjoyed Dead Set more.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote