Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 05-07-2003, 12:11 AM   #1
Cujo108

The Legend of Boggy Creek DVD question

THE LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK is an older favorite of mine, and I recently came across the DVD at a local store for a really cheap price. I just want to know, does anyone know if this film was shot in widescreen, and if it was, is this DVD widescreen? I'll probably pick it up even if its not OAR because I love the film and the price is very cheap. Still, I will be pissed if its not OAR. Please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-07-2003, 12:40 AM   #2
betterdan

i have the dvd and it is not widescreen. I don't know if it was shown theatrically widescreen. The dvd is ok not the best but of course you know that. I'm glad I bought it though, brings back good memories
Old 05-07-2003, 04:08 AM   #3
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

It wasn't as good as I remember, but it was worth it, especially for the $5 I paid for a used copy!! It is fullscreen, as betterdan said, and I doubt that you are missing any if much of the frame.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 07:38 AM   #4
Cujo108

Thanks guys! It is very much appreciated.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

I just watched this and Creature From Black Lake released on the Sterling label. I'm pretty sure Boggy Creek was originally shot in widescreen as there are at least two pan & scan type of scenes.
Creature From Black Lake is presented in 1.85:1 non-anamorphic widescreen but still missing lots of info so I assume it was originally shot in 2.35:1. I only wish there were better DVDs of these movies available because both are quite fun and entertaining.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I have a tape where the 2.35:1 widescreen picture is squeezed to fit the TV so everyone and everything looks stretched and very tall.
The DVD I have from Hens Tooth is decent. But the zoom-ins (it's full frame, too) are too much. Still, it's better than the stretched version...but at least that tape had all the picture information showing. The DVD needs major re-invention.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Seems like this is going to be "The Year of the Sasquatch". Following the recent release of The Bigfoot Filmography book, it looks like we will also get a look behind-the-scenes of the true stories and movies based on The Fouke Monster. The book is called The Beast of Boggy Creek: The True Story of the Fouke Monster and is scheduled for release in March, although there is no listing yet on Amazon.

I'm reading through The Bigfoot Filmography now and loving it. Since the Boggy Creek DVDs are barebones (and Return to... is MIA on disc) it'll be great to hear some info on the making of these films.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post
Seems like this is going to be "The Year of the Sasquatch". Following the recent release of The Bigfoot Filmography book, it looks like we will also get a look behind-the-scenes of the true stories and movies based on The Fouke Monster. The book is called The Beast of Boggy Creek: The True Story of the Fouke Monster and is scheduled for release in March, although there is no listing yet on Amazon.

I'm reading through The Bigfoot Filmography now and loving it. Since the Boggy Creek DVDs are barebones (and Return to... is MIA on disc) it'll be great to hear some info on the making of these films.
I'd love to pick up that Bigfoot book, but $48 is pretty steep and it's listed as a paperback too.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by satans-sadists View Post
I'd love to pick up that Bigfoot book, but $48 is pretty steep and it's listed as a paperback too.
Being a huge Bigfoot fan, I think it's worth the price. I did think it was odd that McFarland only released it in paperback as the other film books I own from them are hardcover with better paper stock.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post

Year of the bigfoot indeed....

http://www.amazon.com/Cum-Bigfoot-Mo...0&sr=1-2-fkmr0

Thanks.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

I just bought the book The Beast of Boggy Creek: The True Story of the Fouke Monster. The Fouke Monster website http://foukemonster.net/shop.htm has a 2014 dvd release of The Legend of Boggy Creek.

There is another website comparing the different dvd releases of Boggy Creek: http://legendofboggycreek.com/releases.htm

Has anyone seen this 2014 dvd release from Film Trauma? I have the 2002 Sterling Entertainment release & would like to get a better dvd release if there is such a thing. I have minimal expectations for the remastered picture they claim, but there is definitely room for improvement from the version I have.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:03 AM   #12
shape22
HackMaster

The Legend Of Boggy Creek was shot 2.35:1. You can watch that version on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnH2GVYP4tI

Resolution isn't great. It's sourced from VHS--as are all 2.35 versions currently in circulation. Hopefully the original elements are out there. It looks much more like a movie (as opposed to a cheesy TV show) in the correct aspect ratio.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #13
RickMoe
Maniac

You can also free download (or watch) the 2.35:1 version here...

https://archive.org/details/TheLegendOfBoggyCreek1972

"This print is in the original 2:35.1 LTBX format as seen in most theatres, not a cropped full screen print. I have also uploaded the original theatrical trailer and television spot. It took years of scrounging to finally get my hands on a theatrical print so fans could experience it. I compressed the video file enough to deter some weinee from sticking it on a DVD-R and selling it on eBay but left the quality high enough to be worth watching. Being public domain I could have hired a company to put it and my menus on a DVD and put all those crappy full screen DVD releases in the tank but I want as many people as possible to see and enjoy it."
Old 05-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #14
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
The Legend Of Boggy Creek was shot 2.35:1. You can watch that version on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnH2GVYP4tI

Resolution isn't great. It's sourced from VHS--as are all 2.35 versions currently in circulation. Hopefully the original elements are out there. It looks much more like a movie (as opposed to a cheesy TV show) in the correct aspect ratio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMoe View Post

"This print is in the original 2:35.1 LTBX format as seen in most theatres, not a cropped full screen print. I have also uploaded the original theatrical trailer and television spot. It took years of scrounging to finally get my hands on a theatrical print so fans could experience it. I compressed the video file enough to deter some weinee from sticking it on a DVD-R and selling it on eBay but left the quality high enough to be worth watching. Being public domain I could have hired a company to put it and my menus on a DVD and put all those crappy full screen DVD releases in the tank but I want as many people as possible to see and enjoy it."
Thanks, guys. This helps. I've only seen this movie in full frame format.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #15
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMoe View Post

I also have this version. Original author's hyperbole aside, it's clear this was sourced from the same video master--and one that's almost certainly several generations removed from the original source. Hopefully the claims of existing 35mm prints are true. A direct transfer from film elements (even severely damaged elements) would blow the circulating widescreen versions out of the water.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote