Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #136
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Cabin in the Woods insults horror fans too, but in a more informed way. As in, most horror films are riddled with cliches that the hardcore audiece (yes, US) seems to expect, and they (WE) go off the deep end if those expected cliches are not there. It's an indictment, and one I happen to agree with.

Scream seems to want to point out that today's movie viewer is far more savvy than those of us who saw a lot of slashers in the 80s, that we could not recognize obvious cliches. Trust me, we did. I remember tons of times in the theaters in the 80s with all the derisive comments at the screen when someone did something that would lead to their obvious demise.

Scream pointed out the cliches. Cabin in the Woods pointed out WHY the cliches are there. Far far far more insightful and intelligent.
I don't know. Maybe you're older than me and recognized those cliches. I know I wasn't a huge horror fan when I was young. It was difficult to get them. I only watched the big names. And even then the movies were cut most times. There is just a lot of stuff I like in Scream. The scene with Sidney telling the caller why she doesn't like horror movies because the girl is always running up the stairs when she should be running out. Then Sidney ends up running up the stairs too

Cabin in the Woods did make a reason for why these tropes are there. But it goes back to my original review. How the movie is a love/hate or tired of these things story. Yes, we the audience wants to see this sort of thing. But we also want to see better. At least I do. When the kids go back in the house and get the stupid gas, I was disappointed. Because I wanted to see the smarter kids figure it out. It's kind of like in When A Stranger Calls, when Camilla Belle's character keeps picking up the phone and Katie Cassidy's character says don't pick up the phone then. That's the smart thing to do. Or in 666 Park Avenue, when Rachael Taylor's character realizes it's time to get out of that apartment. I want to see a really good horror movie. I think it's ok to break the rules as long as you make your own new rules. Or just a really good scary movie. That's why I said I was waiting for a real movie to start with the Ancient Ones. The Friday the 13th remake/reboot is kind of similar in changing the rules but not creating anything new as well. When the good girl character gets knifed I was completely out of that movie.

I was just ahead of Cabin in the Woods the whole time. Where as the twist and so much of Scream was a surprise. I actually like I Know What You Did Last Summer more than Cabin in the Woods.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 01-30-2013 at 01:18 AM.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #137
The Tall Man
Stalker

Just watched this for the first time. Had never even seen a trailer for it and had no idea what I was in store for. At the end of the movie I was like "wtf did I just watch", but totally enjoyed it. I have gone back and read through the thread a bit and this movie certainly generates mixed reactions. Having no idea what it was about helped me enjoy it more I think, had I had gone in knowing the plot it may have been different. But, yeah, original (to a point) and enjoyable. Wish I got around to it sooner.
The Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #138
Anaestheus
HackMaster

I meant to post this ages ago, but kept forgetting.

For those that liked the movie, there's a board game out there called "Betrayal at the House on the Hill" that kinda plays like movie does. If you dig board games, I'd recommend it. But, for serious gamers, it does have a lot of design "flaws" that you may have to overlook. But, if you can ignore those and have some like-minded, fun-seeking friends, it's worth a look.
Anaestheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #139
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
I meant to post this ages ago, but kept forgetting.

For those that liked the movie, there's a board game out there called "Betrayal at the House on the Hill" that kinda plays like movie does. If you dig board games, I'd recommend it. But, for serious gamers, it does have a lot of design "flaws" that you may have to overlook. But, if you can ignore those and have some like-minded, fun-seeking friends, it's worth a look.
nice, thank you. It appears to be out of print, though. Anyone happen to hear of any reprints?
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #140
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

I saw this on Netflix about a year or so ago. It was.... eh.

The acting was pretty mediocre and the CGI was incredibly bad. I did actually think the concept was pretty interesting, but even then it came off as forced and too complicated for its own good.

This would have made a really cool TV mini-series but as a movie I thought it fell short.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:17 AM   #141
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
nice, thank you. It appears to be out of print, though. Anyone happen to hear of any reprints?
Ah, crap, man. Sorry. I didn't realize that it was OOP right now. I know there was a rush on the game after Table Top did a segment on it a few months back. But, I thought they were going to keep it in print.

Rumor is that there will be a re-print coming out around June-July

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1169...-print-slotted

Do read up on it a bit before dropping the coin though. There are some aspects that may annoy you. I don't mind them myself, but it got a lot of negative reviews when it first came out and I can't say that any of them weren't well-founded.

Last edited by Anaestheus; 05-15-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Anaestheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:28 AM   #142
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
Ah, crap, man. Sorry. I didn't realize that it was OOP right now. I know there was a rush on the game after Table Top did a segment on it a few months back. But, I thought they were going to keep it in print.

Rumor is that there will be a re-print coming out around June-July

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1169...-print-slotted

Do read up on it a bit before dropping the coin though. There are some aspects that may annoy you. I don't mind them myself, but it got a lot of negative reviews when it first came out and I can't say that any of them weren't well-founded.
thanks, man.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:31 AM   #143
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Scream seems to want to point out that today's movie viewer is far more savvy than those of us who saw a lot of slashers in the 80s, that we could not recognize obvious cliches. Trust me, we did. I remember tons of times in the theaters in the 80s with all the derisive comments at the screen when someone did something that would lead to their obvious demise.
I never saw Scream as stating the '80s audience wasn't savvy - quite the opposite - they were in on the joke as you state with the derisive comments in theaters. Scream just made it's characters the '80s audience who are aware of horror films and make their own derisive comments.

I think the opening of Scream is still brilliant to this day. I liked Cabin in the Woods alright but it did feel a bit forced.