Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #121
Anaestheus
HackMaster

I actually really liked the ending a lot. Since I took the whole thing as a metaphor for the process of making a horror film in the creative slump that has been American horror over the past few decades, with obvious nods to the Japanese for picking up the slack there. So, with that in mind, the "ritual" serves as the blueprint for lazy horror film making. I would suspect that the Japanese have a different ritual, considering that their ritual takes place in a pre-teen girls' school. And the rising of "the ancient ones" is just the common masses being upset that the film didn't follow the standard tropes. So, if you want to see what the ancient ones looked like, just look at the audience.

In fact, the only thing that annoyed me was the inclusion of the cenobite character, since Hellraiser, even as a series, has tried to hard to step away from those tropes.

So, in many ways, the "horror" aspect of the film really only comes from the uncomfortable insinuation that we as a people need to see these characters violently punished out of some form of primal bloodlust. In many ways, this film reminds me more and more of films like Peeping Tom in that respect.

Yeah, it's a bit precious in that statement and I would accept the criticism that Whedon hasn't really earned the right to make a statement like that, as opposed to someone like Carpenter or Cronenberg whose careers were affected by their attempts to expand beyond standard tropes. But, I do still think that the statement is valid when you look at the success of the structure in American horror.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #122
Workshed
October!

^^^^ Agreed. I didn't think about the Cenobite character, but it's a good point. I saw that as more of a loving nod than any real statement about horror. I liked the ending a lot, too.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #123
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
But Scream is better as an actual movie. Because it’s more than a just a commentary on horror movies but a good movie too.

No offense man, but it's neither

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #124
SEANVALEN
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Paff Legend

Scream I think accidently became a motivation to create better horror or do something different/bring back the formula/polish it.

Lionsgate, fast zombie, saw films, torture, then the return of evil dead, the return of jason etc, we got horror back.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #125
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
I never even noticed this. The ending was a complete surprise to me and what a thrill!
I was just way ahead of this one. When you see this facility in the opening you know the kids will make it there eventually. The titles also show some ritual stuff. Midway through they even mention the old volcano sacrifices and there is that painting in the cabin.

Quote:
I thought they were. Didn't they have several swat team like soldiers to fight them off? I think they were prepared to handle one or two at a time, but not all of them at once, and how could they? It was just pure insanity!
I thought the containment squad or whatever they were called should have been like Ghostbusters without the comedy. As long as they were doing rituals they should have been extremely professional and proficient at recapturing these monsters. But that again could be part of the joke of the movie just like the giant release button.

Quote:
Yes, I got the impression that only one ritual had to be successful, and they were the ones to always come out in the end. I think they were just really cocky. They had a perfect record I believe and it was never a problem for them. They started to get pretty worried once things didn't go exactly as planned but again I don't think they foresaw anything that happened.
It's weird. They do mention I believe how the Japanese squad is perfect. Also, that the American squad failed before because of the Chemistry department. I think that is a reference to The Faculty movie. I just never got the sense of panic the "Ancient Ones" should bring to everyone working in the facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I like Scream. I'm not the type to analyze movies and seeing all the references and breakdown of how old horror movies work was a huge surprise to me. Even something like the "I'll be right back" line is something I never really picked up on. Now, rewatching old and at times modern horror movies. It's crazy how many times that line shows up. The characters in Scream are great too. Many have funny lines and stuff. I love the "Jesus the camera hurry" line. I will say that I haven't seen Scream 3 (I only saw parts). I didn't like Scream 2 at all. I haven't seen Scream 4 yet.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #126
joltaddict
HackMaster

I love this movie and even months after seeing it Im still saying "TEQUILAS MY LAAAAADIIIEE!!" and "Pop Tarts? We have Pop Tarts?"
Old 01-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #127
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

No one thinks those statue images I posted are freaky? Maybe it's just me then.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #128
Ash28M
HackMaster

On rewatch my opinion hasn't changed on this. I think It's slightly above average but not worth the hype.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #129
Ptflea2
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
On rewatch my opinion hasn't changed on this. I think It's slightly above average but not worth the hype.
I re-watched it today myself and my opinion hasn't changed either. Very much worth the hype.
Ptflea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #130
slinker
Un-Holy Force.

Thought it was annoying and pathetic.....some ridiculous idea for a plot that just happens to include a CGI fest ending with some of the genres fans favourite monsters for a trip down memory lane. Hardly original or thought provoking material for me.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #131
othervoice1
HackMaster

I just watched this one again and enjoyed it just as much as the first time - my fave horror movie of 2012 and right up there as my favorite film of the year overall. There will be a few that just wont like the premise or mood of the movie or appreciate Whedon's wit but I loved it.
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #132
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

I watched it twice just to be sure. I think if you want to see a slasher movie then the old ones like Friday the 13th Part 2 are still better. If you want a commentary on horror then Scream is better.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #133
Steel76
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinker View Post
a CGI fest ending...

Well, just so you know, most of those FX was real and practical stuff, like animatronics and guys in monstersuits. It was mostly just the spectre and the snake that was CGI. And that shot with all the boxes with different monsters like the Blob etc. was also mostly practical, it was just the shifting of the boxes that was done with CGI as it was impossible to do otherwise. Watch the documentary on the DVD/BD and you will be VERY surprised of how little CGI there actually is in this movie. Even the last shot with the huge hand crashing through the house, the house itself is a miniature that they blow up, and only the hand is CGI, plus the added background. The movie is the perfect mix of both worlds, as they only used it where practical wasnīt possible. So I wouldnīt call this a CGI fest.

I find it kinda interesting when people complain about CGI overload, and most of it isnīt

Like the reactions of the Evil Dead trailer, which used practical old-school FX, and still lots of people say itīs CGI. Which it isnīt.

They can do VERY advanced and lifelike stuff with animatronics etc today, far beyond anything that was possible even back in the 80:s. So if a creature moves fluidly and can do more crazy shit than back then, people seems to think it CGI, even though itīs practical.

The same with Prometheus. The only CGI creature in that movie, was the gigantic "Facehugger", as they couldnīt make the practical version work, all the rest was done with animatronics and puppetry.

So as I said, itīs kinda funny now when the moviemakers have gone back to using practical stuff, and people still say itīs CGI
Old 01-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #134
Workshed
October!

thanks for the info, steel76.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #135
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
If you want a commentary on horror then Scream is better.
Again, no. If by "commentary" you mean "insulting the intelligence of", then yes.

Cabin in the Woods insults horror fans too, but in a more informed way. As in, most horror films are riddled with cliches that the hardcore audiece (yes, US) seems to expect, and they (WE) go off the deep end if those expected cliches are not there. It's an indictment, and one I happen to agree with.

Scream seems to want to point out that today's movie viewer is far more savvy than those of us who saw a lot of slashers in the 80s, that we could not recognize obvious cliches. Trust me, we did. I remember tons of times in the theaters in the 80s with all the derisive comments at the screen when someone did something that would lead to their obvious demise.

Scream pointed out the cliches. Cabin in the Woods pointed out WHY the cliches are there. Far far far more insightful and intelligent.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote