Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-29-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
g0mang071
Screamy Bopper

Rob Zombie's H2 kinda sucks...

Imagine that! I caved and went to see Halloween 2 today - the original and first sequel are at the top of my list for slashers. I skimmed through several negative reviews before going , but feel it's always best to judge for oneself. It wasn't super terrible and I even liked it better than his Halloween, but that is not saying much. I won't retread all the hate that's been spewed on Zombie for his remakes, but I kind of feel depressed for spending money on this and I just needed to get it out of my system...
g0mang071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:49 AM   #2
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Halloween 2 reaction thread

Interested in others thoughts about Zombie's H2.

I went in with tons of hope but a worriedness from the trailer. I love his first Halloween but just could not get into this one at all.

I'll save some of my issues for a bit to see if not alone, so those who've seen it please leave your thoughts. If you haven't seen it please don't turn this into a Zombie bashing fest. Although I cannot even try to defend this latest movie. I've liked or loved all his previous film work, but think I hate this one. Maybe not quite hate, but really fucking close.

As far as I'm concerned, Michael died at the end of the first film and this never happened. I won't buy it on any format and doubt I'll even check it out from the library.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
DVDBone
Stalker

Absolutely HATED it. I really disliked the first one but had some hopes for this one since it didn't have to follow the classic Halloween storyline. But this movie was just a mess. I could not stand the editing/cinematography and the end had me actually laughing out loud (no spoilers). A couple good things - Brad Douriff rocked in his expanded role and Michael Myers was really sadistic and vicious. But those were not enough to save this clusterf*ck of a movie.
DVDBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:24 AM   #4
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

My buddy reviewed it on my site: http://www.oh-the-horror.com/page.php?id=545

God, it sounds like Zombie spoon fed his audience the meanings of the movie's metaphors at the beginning with text... good God.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:47 AM   #5
g0mang071
Screamy Bopper

Ehh... I actually liked it better than the first....but we get more of his white trash version of Haddenfield. I already posted on this, but I really feel like my dollar contributed to this and guilt has set in....
g0mang071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:06 AM   #6
Rocker416
Stalker

Still don't what I think............Some of it wasn't bad, but more of it seemed confusing. I won't drop any spoilers........Suffice to say, I don't think this story was thought all the way through.....
Guess I'm right with ya BigDaddyHorse,.......I think I hate it........
Old 08-29-2009, 05:12 AM   #7
fceurich39
HackMaster

i loved the book signing scene with lynda's dad
also this movie to me was ruined by way to many scenes with deborah myers as well this movie begged for the halloween theme music throughout not just the ending

i also hated the ending it seemed to happen waaaaaaaay too fast
also all these scenes i was looking forward to got cut out and will hopefully be apart of the director's cut dvd/blu-ray

michael hanging the girl in the tree
dr loomis speech about michael is more evolved

the tension between annie and laurie with annie showing laurie the scars on her face this has been confirmed by rob zombie that it will be in the director's cut version

also additional stuff LIKE LAURIE SAYING i'm not strong enough and deborah myers saying kill her baby and only a river of blood line

sheriff brackett's saying no noooo noooooo
alsothere is another ending which i've heard about

but i just wished loomis and michael's confrontation was better like in 2007 version that was great this the ending seemed too rushed even some of the kills happen way too fast and the picture quality was very dark since it was shot on 16mm not 35mm like the last one

all in all i was disapointed but already am anxiously awaiting the director's cut and hoping everything that was in the trailers will be in the director's cut
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:22 AM   #8
MadmanMarz
Stalker

I really wanted Zombie to redeem himself here, but again disappointment rears its ugly head. I thought the Loomis character was a throw away, especially in the ending with Michael Myers confrontation. Anything with Sheri Moon Zombie in it was horrible and left me asking "why does he continue to do this". What was this "white horse" bullsh!t..r u kidding me? What's up with the homeless Michael Myers BS? Is he like 50 years old now???

The only two things I enjoyed was Brad Dourif's performance and the death scenes. I think zombie did a better job exposing the brutality of the kills and adding tension, especially in the hospital sequence in the beginning. Otherwise a huge miss here...even I after saw the disappointing The Final Destination.
MadmanMarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:53 AM   #9
moogong
Arte Suave

I liked it. I think it could have been much better but it was not what I was expecting it to be. Then again, I refused to watch the trailers leading up to it. There are some elements to it that I need to dissect and analyze to hopefully bet a better grasp of where Zombie is coming from.
moogong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
Queen B

Hate to be immature here, but the one word that pretty much sums up the film is "STUPID". Honestly, it's one of the dumbest genre offerings in recent memory. The final is so damn laughable.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Zombie's worst yet. The opening scenes were interesting, but ended up being a huge cheat. Didn't like the ghost mom, hobo Myers just wandering the earth like Caine in Kung Fu in between Halloweens, Laurie's new friends who had the same personalities as her old ones, and the terrible changing of the Loomis character. All in all this is the weirdest Halloween since the Man in Black/Thorn stuff in Revenge and Curse. From someone who considers the original to be a pinnacle in the horror genre, can this series please die now?
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
mclay18
Maniac

Zombie should never ever make movies again.

I don't mind violence in movies, but the scene in the strip club took it too far. (Betsy Rue still has nice tits, though.) And Danielle Harris makes the most of her scenes, even though she doesn't get as much as Scout Taylor-Compton (who overacts horribly).

Even though I saw this movie for free, I still wanted my time back from watching it. FD4 is a far better genre pic, at least it doesn't make its audience actively hate it like H2 does.
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #13
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Don't want to spoil this for everyone so I won't reveal anything, I went with four friends(two of which loved the first Zombie take on Halloween) and we all hated it.
As for me, I thought that the first Halloween was nothing special and kind of dull.
I do love the original series though(I-IV).
This was a convoluted and contrived mess of a film with little to no entertainment value. The surreal imagery was cheesy beyond belief and I found myself laughing out loud at several scenes.
I am really getting sick of seeing the same actors in all of his films, we get it Rob, Sherri is an awesome looking woman but do we need her in every damn film? The pacing was slow and dull, the acting was atrocious(except for Douriff) and the dialogue awful. Zombie tried elaborating on the Myers character in ways that really destroyed the whole mystique. Scenes meant to be shocking seemed pretty tame compared to recent films like Last House and the kill scenes were just uninspired.
I also hate how Zombie sets a tone that seems totally 1970's and then throws in recent references to random dumb shit like Austin Powers and the Black Eyed Peas ruining the whole illusion. The aesthetic of the film is totally seventies again with references to Alice Cooper, Kiss etc.
If you're a fan of the original series-stay away from this. Several people left the theater and I was tempted to do the same. Overall, I was really disapointed in how boring it was.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #14
Slackjaw83
Lonely St. Tattooer

Quote:
Zombie tried elaborating on the Myers character in ways that really destroyed the whole mystique
Many, including myself, thought Zombie did this when he turned the epitome and the personification of evil into a chubby kid with anger issues.

That said, I think the wife and I, gluttons for punishment that we are, are going to check this out tomorrow. She enjoyed the remake (She dislikes the original, and, because the remake deviated pretty heavily, I can see where it appealed to her tastes as opposed to mine), so she's excited about the sequel. I'm just hoping I can make it through it.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0mang071 View Post
I skimmed through several negative reviews before going , but feel it's always best to judge for oneself. [...] I won't retread all the hate that's been spewed on Zombie for his remakes, but I kind of feel depressed for spending money on this and I just needed to get it out of my system...
Really don't get that mentality. "I heard getting punched in the nads hurts, but I wanted to see for myself so I paid a guy $10 to punch my nads. It hurt like fuck and I feel like I've wasted my money."

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote