Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 12-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #61
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
I paid less than $5 for the region free UK Blu-Ray!!
Yes you still can direct from Amazon.co.uk or £2.75 from.a third party seller. Oh and I agree this is a pretty average movie that I only watched once and figured I wouldnt revisit so I sold it on Ebay to a guy in America.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #62
othervoice1
HackMaster

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9920...andy_lane.html
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:38 AM   #63
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Felt they're trying to make a new Alicia Silverstone out of this actress, shades of The Crush, however one Alicia Silverstone was bad enough.
Found the film predictable and boring, by the one hour mark I was ready to say goodnight Mandy Lane.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #64
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

I think it's too little too late for this movie because where I work the shot on the shelf is still full, I don't think a single copy has been sold yet. Regardless it is still a bizarre thing to see a physical dvd addition of this movie out there. I remember watching it online all the way back in 2007!

As for the movie itself, it is nothing to get worked up about. Much like a Shyamalan film, it exists solely on the plot twist at the end which doesn't make any sense what so ever.
Spoiler:
If my memory serves me correctly, Mandy had some sort of suicide pact with one of the guys only to kill him and then run off with so other dude?
Old 01-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #65
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetwarrior View Post
IAs for the movie itself, it is nothing to get worked up about. Much like a Shyamalan film, it exists solely on the plot twist at the end which doesn't make any sense what so ever.
See, this is what I'm talking about. The delay in the film's release means people want to see something that differentiates it, something that justifies the long delay (which again, seemed to just be a financial decision to shelve it by the Weinsteins).

While I did mention a few things that stood out (the photography), it's still pretty much just a throwback slasher film. And let's face it, most of those weren't too groundbreaking either, yet a lot of you on this site seem to just eat them up and yell for more. So you'd think that Mandy Lane would be right up most of all y'all's alleys. But no, a 7-year delay means you want something special.

You have to factor out the delay when watching this, and just look at it as a retro-style slasher film. And if you do, you'll find it's pretty damn good.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #66
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetwarrior View Post
Much like a Shyamalan film, it exists solely on the plot twist at the end which doesn't make any sense what so ever.
I didn't think the movie hinged on the twist ending. They took an old school slasher film and injected some contemporary elements into it. You go to a Shyamalan film expecting a twist, but the slasher genre comes with a sense of familiarity. And the twist here really isn't that shocking or unbelievable.

While the twist does present an interesting post-Columbine spin on the slasher genre, I doubt the filmmakers were aspiring to make anything more than simply a fun slasher flick.

The director Jonathan Levine even said:
Quote:
For me, this was always a movie that I hope people watch in college on like a Saturday night when they come home drunk at three in the morning and they take a bong hit and they fall asleep. That was always how I picture people watching this movie because that’s how I used to watch movies my freshman and sophomore year of college and I had such a great time watching movies like that. Obviously, Gravity you probably want to see in IMAX, and this one you probably want to see with a bong hit and a little buzz on.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #67
soxfan666
Maniac

This is now streaming on Netflix.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #68
Franco
Weekender

Saw the movie, and only loved Mandy Lane herself
Old 01-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #69
crikan
HackMaster

Watch MANDY LANE this weekend. This one is so close to being great for all the reasons Paff mentions. It really feels like a perfect throwback slasher. My issue with the film is the pacing in the second half. I had no problem with how long it took to get to the killin', but once the first couple of kills take place the film doesn't pick up the pace or tension. The kids are unaware the killing has started so they just spend even more time smoking weed, drinking and trying to get laid. This goes on until the film is damn near over. So for me, the film ran out of steam just when it was supposed to be ramping up.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #70
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

I picked up a copy at BB the other day but ended up walking out without it. Been burned too many times by blind buys of recent horror flicks. Looks like I didn't make a mistake by putting it back. If you make movies you're supposed to enjoy only when you're high or drunk then I'd say it's not worth watching at all.

Last edited by elDomenechHDG; 01-13-2014 at 05:15 PM.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #71
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Does the lovely Amber Heard display any nudity? That's what I'd like to know, as I believe she is spectacular.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #72
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE “I”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Does the lovely Amber Heard display any nudity?
Nope.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #73
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
nope.
to hell with this film!

Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.

Last edited by Workshed; 01-13-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #74
Zillamon51
Maniac

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
...But no, a 7-year delay means you want something special.

You have to factor out the delay when watching this, and just look at it as a retro-style slasher film. And if you do, you'll find it's pretty damn good.
That's not the problem (at least for me). The problem is that the killer's motivation and final plan make no sense. So the film is just stupid. And yes, many old slashers that people still love are stupid, but in a post-Scream / Leslie Vernon world, it's not too much to ask that the plot be better thought out.

I will grant you that the film was very nicely photographed. Since it's streaming on Netflix, I will give it another shot sometime.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #75
scott71670
Maniac

There's also people like me throwing the sales numbers off. I got a copy in Denmark (same thing with Dead Snow) because it was only eight bucks and I was tired of waiting for an American release. Really striking photography, but it is simply a film indicative of its time. I'll pick it up when it goes in a five dollar wal mart bin.
scott71670 is offline   Reply With Quote