Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 05-12-2002, 09:24 AM   #1
rhett

Thumbs up Hell Night

Just got through watching Hell Night with Linda Blair, and I was fairly impressed. The running time could have been trimmed by 10 minutes or so, but the film stayed interesting, and the killer was good and creepy. The killer's death was also one of the best of the genre if you ask me! There were some great jump scares in the last ten minutes or so of the film too. I thought it was a pretty good little film, what about you guys?
Old 05-12-2002, 05:27 PM   #2
Egg_Shen
broomhead

"Hell Night" was quite enjoyable for me as well . It was certainly one of the finer films of the decade, amid such films as "Friday the 13th"(whatever part was released that year) and various other tired slashers. I still have to pick up the Anchor Bay DVD. I heard K-Mart had it for a rather cheap $6.99, but I couldn’t find a copy when I went. Guess I'll have to shell out the extra cash online.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 09:29 AM   #3
Joel Groce

A Sweet Slasher!!!

Yeah, Hell Night is a great atmospheric slasher when the good stuff was still coming out. I really like some of the kills and the end was nicely done. I really like AB's release of this one.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:26 PM   #4
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

"H" Night

The rare horror film with a late-night Creature Features/Hammer look and an '80's slasher spirit. Hell Night was that great slasher that didn't let us down - it delivered the goods that cool September night in 1981 (the first week of 7th grade for me). The audience LOVED it - there were screams galore. The part that got EVERYONE was when Linda Blair and Peter Barton were talking and the killer is looming in the background under that rug. Blair has one of the great chase scenes, also - something even the later Friday the 13th's couldn't get right.
Great film!
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 10:57 PM   #5
KillerCannabis
Slow, Deep & Hard

I've never seen this movie, but I've seen the disc around. The only thing stopping me from getting it was that I hadnt seen it and the price was a little too high at the time. Maybe I'll have to make a run to K-Mart and see if mine has any copies in stock. This flick sounds good to me. I love 80's slasher movies.
KillerCannabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 04:02 AM   #6
betterdan

Not to mention Blair's boobs look NICE in this great movie.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:35 PM   #7
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

I remember reading lots of articles about "Hell Night" in Fangoria, was all giddy and couldn't hardly wait to see this film. A few years later I've finally watched it on video and it's been a favorite 80s slasher of mine ever since.

Love the AB disc, nice decent picture and the audio commentary is entertaining. I think "Hell Night" was one of the first 16:9 DVDs from Anchor Bay.

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 01:18 AM   #8
Mark Relford
Chairman of the Bored

Quote:
Originally posted by betterdan
Not to mention Blair's boobs look NICE in this great movie.
She didn't look too bad in the tub scene from Savage Streets. Well, except for that gut.
Haven't seen Hell Night in ages. Thanks to this thread, I might check it out tonight.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:57 AM   #9
Paff

I always thought Hell Night was the best of the Halloween rip-offs out there. Much better than any of the Friday the 13th movies.

Hell, the story of Garth Manor alone is a classic.

Great setting, fantastic lighting, nice costumes (which helps keep the film from aging). The commentary is enjoyable too. I was surprised when I found out how proud of the movie Linda Blair is.

One of the interesting things that came up in the commentary was the "candle guys". These guys had pre-burned candles of different lengths, so that early scenes had long candles, later scenes had short ones. Since the film was shot totally out of sequence, it was their job to keep candle continuity.

Also interesting was the three settings. There was a mansion they used for indoor scenes, another mansion used for outdoor scenes, and a set with the infamous gate. So when you see Vincent Van Patten go running out of the house and down to the gate, that's three separate nights of shooting for a 10 second scene.

It's actually one of my all-time favorite horror films, and I watch it several times a year.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 01:43 AM   #10
rhett

Thumbs up Enough to make your head spin...

Linda Blair's rack is top notch in this film, but she will always be the possessed girl from The Exorcist in my mind.
Blair does look a LOT better now than she ever has though, IMO.

My favorite part of the film is the killer, one of the creepiest stalkers I've ever seen in a slasher!
Old 07-07-2002, 08:04 PM   #11
Max Yokell

Hell Night

Hell Night

Linda Blair in an 80's slasher.

Basic plot 4 pledges, 2 male and 2 female are locked away to survive a night in a haunted mansion while several others try to scare them using an elobrate set-up of tricks.

But oops there is a real killer in there with them.

There was some gore but it was fairly tame stuff. There was the constant threat of gratituous nudity, however it never really happened beyond some girl running around in panties and a bra.

Overall it was a kind of fun but stupid movie where characters allways seem to make the wrong choice. Would have prefered some more gory killings though.

I will give it a C+ maybe a B- when graded on a curve against other US Slasher flicks from the 80's.

The DVD was from Anchor Bay and had a 16x9 1.85 transfer that looked pretty damn good considering the source. Mono soundtrack. Trailers, TV Spots, Commentary and some bios are the extras on the disc.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:08 AM   #12
mutleyhyde
Fuck it.

I never saw it back in the day, but watching it recently made me yearn for '80s sluts soooo bad. Yes, Linda's rack was mighty yummy looking. And seeing Vince Van Patten in something other than Rock and Roll High School, lol! What a dork.

M. Hyde
Movies seen; 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
mutleyhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 05:44 PM   #13
Loced Out Demon

OOP?

I heard this movie is OOP, but I never had heard of it or seen it till now here, has anyone seen it at k mart? or was that just a rumor, maybe ill run up there today. this movie sounds good from how yall talk about it....
Old 07-17-2002, 11:05 PM   #14
Loced Out Demon

"Hell Night"=went up to k mart and they didnt have any, went to suncoast, they had the dvd in there computer in stock, but it was for 24.99, went to circuit city and they had it for 17.99 but i only had 15 dollars. i set it down, then i found a prince of darkness for 9.99. so i got that instead.

*im glad i went out on this lil venture cause ive seen prince of darkness b4 and i know i like it, i havent seen hell night but im gonna keep it in mind... cause from yalls remarks and the story on the back of it, it sounds kinda interesting....

LOD
Old 07-18-2002, 01:02 AM   #15
Paff

Quote:
Originally posted by mutleyhyde
And seeing Vince Van Patten in something other than Rock and Roll High School, lol! What a dork.
Nice weather we've been having, huh Hyde?

But I heard it's raining cats and dogs in Idaho

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote