Awesome!!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #62
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
did not dig this film at all
Thank god I'm not the only one! I thought it was crap.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:27 AM   #63
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Yeah, you can tell it really was an end of an era. Popcorn has its moments, but it definitely does not hold up well at all...not sure what all the hubbub is with this one.

I still would like to know what went down that Synapse acquired the rights, and what Code Red's role in this scenario actually was. Obviously this Kristy girl was probably in over her head when she first announced her potential release, thus needing the help of Don May and Co. If we went by her initial announcement, we all should have enjoyed the Popcorn BD for over a year now. Ha!

Still, its great its finally being released on the format.
Chomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:43 AM   #64
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Yeah, you can tell it really was an end of an era. Popcorn has its moments, but it definitely does not hold up well at all...not sure what all the hubbub is with this one.

I still would like to know what went down that Synapse acquired the rights, and what Code Red's role in this scenario actually was. Obviously this Kristy girl was probably in over her head when she first announced her potential release, thus needing the help of Don May and Co. If we went by her initial announcement, we all should have enjoyed the Popcorn BD for over a year now. Ha!

Still, its great its finally being released on the format.
Synapse acquired the rights because Kristy went to them with the producer's name in hand. She didn't get "over her head", she spent time tracking down the proper rights holders and knew she couldn't release the film herself.

These things take time, they don't happen overnight and in this case waiting on a signature from a copyright holder is what held it up.

Code Red had zero part in the film, they had no rights to it as they have not with several other titles that producers literally gave up on because it wouldn't have been worth the money to sue. Perhaps Bill signed something with someone who said they did own the film, but as we can clearly see - this party didn't.

There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes with these films, a lot of back and forth and a lot of waiting. That's just the way the business is, so no matter what the case was - we were going to have to wait some time before getting a proper release of this film.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:59 AM   #65
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac87 View Post
These things take time, they don't happen overnight and in this case waiting on a signature from a copyright holder is what held it up.
Indeed. Maybe next time Kristy will refrain from making posters with release dates on them for any future film releases she gets involved with.

If she wasn't in over her head why did she go to Synapse and have them acquire the rights as apposed to releasing the "Ultimate Fan Edition" herself as she originally intended? Obviously Don May has connections and would easily work to the advantage of getting the film released. Makes perfect sense why she would...no shame in getting a little help. Synapse is the benchmark of quality when it comes to releasing genre titles.
Chomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:34 AM   #66
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Indeed. Maybe next time Kristy will refrain from making posters with release dates on them for any future film releases she gets involved with.

If she wasn't in over her head why did she go to Synapse and have them acquire the rights as apposed to releasing the "Ultimate Fan Edition" herself as she originally intended? Obviously Don May has connections and would easily work to the advantage of getting the film released. Makes perfect sense why she would...no shame in getting a little help. Synapse is the benchmark of quality when it comes to releasing genre titles.
She went to them because they're a quality company she knew would give the fans the edition they deserved. But the important thing is, it's happening and it will be a wonderful special edition I'm sure!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #67
Scorpion
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac87 View Post
She went to them because they're a quality company she knew would give the fans the edition they deserved. But the important thing is, it's happening and it will be a wonderful special edition I'm sure!
Scream factory is a quality company, or do you not think highly of them?

Last edited by Scorpion; 01-28-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #68
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Scream factory is a quality company, or do you not thing highly of them?
In terms of quality there have been a few release from them that seemed a little lacking in the PQ department.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #69
Scorpion
Victim

edit

Last edited by Scorpion; 01-27-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #70
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

2014 is shaping up to be the year of the slasher/horror film. Seems the planets are aligning to give us titles that have been in the works or tied up in limbo for years: Popcorn, Curtains, Prom Night, Satan's Blade, Nightbreed and Hellhole. That last one could be from a deal that potentially produces one of my own holy grails: The Final Terror. If Shout acquired Hellhole from the Arkoff people then Final Terror is almost a sure bet as Arkoff was an exec producer on that film.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #71
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I enjoy the film greatly. It's fun to watch POPCORN and Joe Dante's MATINEE back to back. The love of retro horror/sci-fi wasn't as accessible back then.
I like that the film class scenes remind me of the one in SCREAM 2 in a weird way. Overall, I thought it was slick little flick. I remember the film being a nice, glossy well-filmed type of deal. The Elite DVD would make you think otherwise. hi.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #72
Nightbreed
Stalker

just read the article this is great news, I really haven't been following this much, I saw Kristy at a special 35MM screening of Day of The Dead a couple days ago to promote the new fright rags shirt didn't even think to ask her about this.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 AM   #73
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Scream Factory is a mighty fine company, no doubt, but they'll be the first to say that when it comes to transfers they're just the middle man. Whatever master they're handed they just turn around and put on a disc. You can give them some level of credit for not apply additional EE and DNR on top of that but it is what it is.

In that regard Shout doesn't even compare all that well to Scorpion with the work you've done on Grizzly and Day of the Animals. Scream Factory probably would have said "Good enough" on the first master turned in for each, after all they did just that with the Bruce Lee set.

Don May Jr.'s got some of the best eyes and ears in the business, there's no debate about that. I have no doubt that Popcorn will look its best when Synapse is done with it.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:15 AM   #74
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
No, not at all - and I'm not suggesting Scorpion isn't a wonderful company as well.

What I meant by a "quality company" was she didn't just send the producers to anyone, like Anchor Bay for example. Synapse was one of the, if not THE, first company to come to her so she went with them knowing their background.

The things one says that can get twisted, hope I didn't offend Scorpion and I'm certainly not shit talking on Scream Factory - hello, THE VIDEO DEAD? If it wasn't for them, that probably still wouldn't be out.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:11 AM   #75
Nailwraps
HackMaster

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/735...#axzz2swFhCql7
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote