Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-25-2014, 03:23 AM   #76
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Quote:
This release will give fans a brand-new 2K restoration of the film, taken directly from original vault materials. Supplementary materials from Michael Felsher’s Red Shirt Pictures will round out the exciting package. While the line-up of bonus materials has not yet been finalized, it will feature a retrospective documentary on the making of and legacy of Popcorn along with more extra features currently in the planning stages.

“We are thrilled to be working closely with Kristy Jett and Red Shirt Pictures to bring Popcorn out properly. We now have some amazing materials, including the original camera negative and 35mm Interpositive materials to go through, to make sure this release is the best it can be. We just got a palette of amazing stuff we have to sort through for extras, including never before seen behind-the-scenes photos, documents, vintage interview tapes and even an alternate, never used original movie poster design that I found in the bottom of a random box,” says Donald May, Jr., President of Synapse Films.
From above link.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:51 PM   #77
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Update!!!!:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=105
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #78
Gore Lunatic
Violenza Carnale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Wow that's awesome news! I watched my old Elite DVD a week ago and this film could definitely use an upgrade. Looking forward to this release.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #79
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Great news. My hat is always off to Synapse. That's dedication.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #80
Dobby
quantum physics

Even though it's a very bad movie I really love it! I'd very much welcome Popcorn in a nice HD release.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:27 AM   #81
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Even though it's a very bad movie I really love it! I'd very much welcome Popcorn in a nice HD release.
I don't remember liking this but that may be because I was expecting a different movie from it. I may have to check it out again.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:26 AM   #82
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
I don't remember liking this but that may be because I was expecting a different movie from it. I may have to check it out again.
You said that about a million other movies.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:28 AM   #83
Dobby
quantum physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
The problem with the film is it doesn't know its supposed to be a horror flick. Instead you get some campy goofy troma movie that takes itself too seriously. In other words Popcorn is an ass backwards movie that I really enjoyed despite it's flaws. I would never recommend it as it is an acquired taste unless if you like comedy/horror.The acting is also total shit which adds to a really bad film.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:57 AM   #84
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
You said that about a million other movies.
I sure do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
The problem with the film is it doesn't know its supposed to be a horror flick. Instead you get some campy goofy troma movie that takes itself too seriously. In other words Popcorn is an ass backwards movie that I really enjoyed despite it's flaws. I would never recommend it as it is an acquired taste unless if you like comedy/horror.The acting is also total shit which adds to a really bad film.
Yea I think that may be it. Maybe it felt a bit unfocused and too campy at times. I've come to enjoy horror comedy a lot more these days so maybe I'll think better of it a second time around. Not holding my breath though
Old 05-31-2015, 04:24 AM   #85
chancetx
Maniac

Along with what Dobby said, I'm pretty sure it was at least partly trying to spoof horror movies but it doesn't even know what TYPE of horror it's trying to spoof. The retro movies-within-the movie are actually well done but pay homage to 50s and 60s type sci-fi/horror films while the "current" storyline is pretty straightforward slasher. The end reveal seems to indicate a strictly non-supernatural villain yet there are scenes throughout that can only be explained by supernatural phenomena. I imagine the behind-the-scenes making of the movie is a lot more interesting than the final product. It's definitely a mess but an often entertaining mess. And anything with Jill Schoelen will get my money.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:43 AM   #86
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I never got the vibe once that the film took itself seriously. Felt like a camp fest throughout the entire deal and that's why I always enjoyed it, especially the fake movies shown throughout.

And I would say the acting is total shit. I can name at least 2,000 films with worst acting than Popcorn. I wouldn't call the acting good either but it fit within the film's goofy and campy tone.