Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-02-2003, 04:14 AM   #1
maybrick
HackMaster

Creature From Black Lake

Every week, the local video store I frequent has an email special where they offer 1 free movie from a random category for those on the mailing list. Last week it was horror. Anyways, I usually take this time to rent something I wouldn't normally rent for one reason or another. This time I picked CREATURE FROM BLACK LAKE. I wasn't expecting much of anything at all, just a run-of-the-mill 1970s drive in flick. But in spite of being a heavily washed out, severely panned and scanned transfer, with a title thats a blatant rip off of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and featuring a monster that's more than obviously just a guy in an ape suit, I found a cool forgotten little gem that's very well scripted, highly entertaining, and more than deserving of a top-notch DVD transfer! I love it when this shit happens!
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 11:46 AM   #2
dwatts
HackMaster

Is it out on DVD?
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 12:47 PM   #3
Mortis
GARBAGE DAY!

I think this was on cable the other day.

I remember seeing the "creature" who was a gorilla. How stupid do you have to be to not see that it's a gorilla?

I can handle some stuplidity and cheese, but damn!
Old 08-02-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
dwatts
HackMaster

This is sounding more and more like my type of thing (hey, I did just order the Crawling Hand and The Crawling Eye.)
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:22 PM   #5
onebyone

Oh wow you do kick ass. This is like the one movie in the horror section I don't have and or know I don't want. I never knew anything about it so this is a cool tip. I do love my cheese.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:03 PM   #6
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally posted by dwatts
Is it out on DVD?
Nope, not that I know of. At least, I can't find it for sale online.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Mok
Family is Forever

I watched this over the weekend and quite enjoyed it. It's probably the best Bigfoot horror movie that I've seen. Great creepy atmosphere and acting, but an admittedly cookie-cutter kind of plot.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
maybrick
HackMaster

I really need to revisit this film as I haven't seen it since beginning this thread a decade ago. I have a good quality avi on my hard drive that I downloaded ages ago but still haven't gotten around to.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Really like this film. I'd put it just below Sasquatch: The Legend of Bigfoot and The Legend of Boggy Creek as my favorite 70s Bigfoot flick.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
Cydeous
Axxon N

I enjoyed this movie, too. Another good one is Mysterious Monsters. That one really creeped me out as a kid.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #11
Erick H.
HackMaster

I have fond memories of this as my dad took me to see it in the theater when I was a small child.Dad was like that,took me to see GRIZZLY and ORCA too ! I haven't seen LAKE in ages but I would welcome a high quality disc.Lots of character actors in it,the type usually associated with westerns.
Makes me miss my Dad.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:28 PM   #12
zbinks
Time Fades Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synapse Films
So, we're sitting in our office working today and we're thinking, "It's Halloween, shouldn't we maybe announce something today?" We have a few "irons in the fire" as it were and, since this one is officially signed, sealed and delivered with the McCullough family, we're going to announce that work will begin in 2015 on the first, real, authorized version of this "bigfoot" classic! No other details available at this time, as the ink is barely dry, but we're scouring storage facilities and the McCullough family's inventory to bring this one out as soon as humanly possible! Should be a lot of fun! All you collectors out there, take note! If you have any memorabilia or vintage trailers or TV spots for this one, let us know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synapse Films
We're working closely with the McCollough family and we hope to find original materials. Right now, all we found was the original IN for the Television version, but that was a cropped 16mm reduction... we have a LOT of work ahead of us on this one, but doing this type of work makes me feel alive!
https://www.facebook.com/synapsefilm...538360/?type=1
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Way to go, Synapse! It's not at the very top of my wish list, but I will definitely be picking this up. It's horror, it's 1970's, and it's Bigfoot. Yes, please!
Kim Bruun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #14
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Can't wait to pick up a Synapse Blu of this bad boy!
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:08 PM   #15
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Talking

I've been hoping for years that we would get an authorized release of Creature From Black Lake. So glad that Synapse will be releasing this and doing it right! I last watched this about six or seven years ago and rented the dvd. The picture quality was horrendous. Can't wait to see this film with a nice presentation as I'm very much into Sasquatch. I wish that the original Legend of Boggy Creek could get similar treatment.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote