Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > News

Old 05-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
rhett

BREAKING: Scorpion to release Humongous & More on New Line

80s horror fans have already had a few nice surprises this year with announcements like SLEDGEHAMMER, but this one takes the cake. Scorpiron Releasing will be debuting the following favorites coming out in September: HUMONGOUS, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE, THE CARPENTER, THE DEVIL WITHIN HER, THE HUMAN EXPERIMENTS, THE MARK OF CAIN and NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT. As if that weren't good enough, they're also re-releasing the beloved and hard to find FINAL EXAM, THE INCUBUS and THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW. All nine DVDs will be on a new "Katrina's Nightmare Theatre" line featuring intros and extros by WWE star Katarina Leigh Walters. It's about time we had a new Elvira!

I'm salivating too much at the thought of finally seeing the Canadian giallo sleeze-classic, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE cleaned up on DVD. I'll just go ahead and quote their official press release:

Quote:
PRESS RELEASE: Scorpion Releasing presents Katarina's Nightmare Theater!

Scorpion Releasing proudly presents Katarina's Nightmare Theater, a new line of horror DVDs hosted by actress, and former WWE and now TNA star, Katarina Leigh Waters, as she introduces a series of cult films, many of them for the first time on DVD! See the bewitching Katarina introduce such horror classics as THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW, FINAL EXAM, THE INCUBUS, some of them in new high definition film transfers with new extras!

Also, for the first time on DVD such films as the 80's horror favorite HUMONGOUS, THE CARPENTER starring Wings Hauser (VICE SQUAD), THE HUMAN EXPERIMENTS starring Linda Haynes, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE with Michael Ironside, THE DEVIL WITHIN HER starring Joan Collins, the twin-terrors of THE MARK OF CAIN, and NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT starring genre greats Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing! Each DVD will have a play with or without Katarina's intros and closing segments and some will have audio commentaries with the filmmakers moderated by Katarina. All the DVD sleeves will feature a reversible cover. The first wave will be released in September, just in time for Halloween and new DVDs coming each month through March!

"I am having really great fun hosting these movies, and coming up with skits for the introduction... plus I love that I get to meet these filmmakers and talk to them about their creative process on the audio commentaries... it's inspiring! I hope you enjoy watching the DVD's, as much as I enjoy working on them!" -Katarina Leigh Waters
Also, here's a sample of the cover art for each disc, staying very true to the original poster art:

Excited?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kntAmNight.jpg
Views:	5655
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	5769   Click image for larger version

Name:	kntCarpenter2.jpg
Views:	4349
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	5770   Click image for larger version

Name:	kntdevil.jpg
Views:	4318
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	5771   Click image for larger version

Name:	kntfinal.jpg
Views:	4523
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	5772   Click image for larger version

Name:	knthouse.jpg
Views:	4164
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	5773  

Click image for larger version

Name:	kntHumongous2.jpg
Views:	4355
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	5774   Click image for larger version

Name:	kntincubus.jpg
Views:	4003
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	5775  
rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Steel76
Maniac

Awesome titles!!

REALLY happy about the re-release of Final Exam.

Though I could live without that banner on top and cheezy intros/outros by some WWE bimbo
Old 05-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
Matt89
HackMaster

WOW. Ditto about the banner, but Jesus Christ this is awesome. Humongous and American Nightmare? Sweet! Hopefully Sorority Row will have a progressive transfer this time and hopefully some extras on the other releases. Nice to see they're using the original artwork for Final Exam.

Guess none of these are hitting blu, but oh well.

~Matt
Old 05-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Body Boy
HackMaster

I feel sick to my stomach. I don't know why, this is awesome news. Yes, the banners are stupid, but my GOD!

American Nightmare and Humongous? Amazing! Humongous is fantastic! One of my favorites! So excited. I'm going to throw up.

Side note: I just bought the original Elite DVD for The Incubus two days ago, and NOW it gets a notice for rerelease? Typical. At least I only paid 20 bucks. And wow. I feel like crying for some reason. Ooooh, Christ! this is ridiculous! I don't know what to do with myself right now.

Last edited by Body Boy; 05-12-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Stige
HackMaster

the incubus from Elite is going to be hard to beat in my opinion if that's any comfort, so I probably won't buy that......

but american nightmare , human experiments, humongous YES!! Guess it's way to ealry for any news on the specs of these?
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Copyboy
Maniac

I don't even know who this Katarina person is and totally agree with what others have said about the damned banner messing up such great cover art, but HU-FUCKING-MONGOUS?! WOO HOO! This is the most orgasm inducing news since Shawn Francis' post about the Women in Cages collection!
Copyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
Body Boy
HackMaster

Just reread that the Katarina intro and closings will be optional, as well as reversible covers (presumably to get rid of the ugly banner) so that's good.

On the bright side, if there is ever a time where we may want to check out the skits and stuff, it could be fun. As long as the option not to have it is there. She seems like she's having fun and is excited about the features, which seems good. I think it's kind of cool to add that Elvira thing to it, as long as it can be ignored, like I said, when you want to.

All hail Scorpion!

All hail Humongous!
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Excellent news! I will be picking up all except for Final Exam, Incubus and The House on Sorority Row which I already own.
Looking forward to The Mark of Cain - one of my VHS faves from back in the day.

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Wow, Humongous and American Nightmare?! Awesome! 2011 is looking like a great year...

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
chancetx
Stalker

Great news. I've wanted to see HUMONGOUS since the mid-80s when I saw it in the video store but mom wouldn't let me rent it. Probably won't live up to my 13-year old expectations but I'll still pick it up.

On a side note, I've tried twice now to get through FINAL EXAM. Does anything EVER happen in that movie?
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
eric_angelus
Testacular

Nice! Here's to finally being able to get a look at a viewable print of Humongous!
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
Steel76
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
Just reread that the Katarina intro and closings will be optional, as well as reversible covers (presumably to get rid of the ugly banner) so that's good.
Cool, I missed that info

Itīs great they donīt force the Katarina stuff to play before the movie.
As other mentioned, I donīt know anything about here, and she might be a fun girl. But usually those "Elvira" wannabees sucks, hence my reaction

Itīs going to be a LOOOONG summer until those amazing discs drops in....

Time to finish building that time machine
Old 05-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
foller
Stalker

Great news, superb artworks .... but these banners are horrible!

Last edited by foller; 05-12-2011 at 12:57 PM.
foller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
Nailwraps
HackMaster

This IS big news! The greatest news I've heard this year!

Suprised Scorpion Releasing got the rights to Humongous.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
Steel76
Maniac

Hereīs hoping Scorpion releases a "Mutilator" DVD instead of Code Red in the future