Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > News

Old 10-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
rhett

CONTEST #3: Good Remakes

This week we've got a remake in VOD with THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN and a remake on Blu-ray with 1988's THE BLOB. For every handful of bad remakes over the years, there usually emerges a good remake and you could win one in the form of Twilight Time's THE BLOB by telling us...[/b]

This week we've got a remake in VOD with THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN and a remake on Blu-ray with 1988's THE BLOB. For every handful of bad remakes over the years, there usually emerges a good remake that can build on flaws from the original, or wisely sidestep successes of the past by taking the franchise in a fresh, new direction. Common citations are Carpenter's THE THING, Cronenberg's THE FLY, or more recently Platinum Dunes remakes like THE AMITYVILLE HORROR and THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE. The dream team collaboration between Writer Frank Darabont and Director Chuck Russell for THE BLOB is another one that usually gets mentioned, and it's easy to see why. You can see for yourself, too, by winning an extra copy of the hard-to-get Twilight Time Blu-ray right here from HORROR DIGITAL.

To win THE BLOB (1988) on Blu-ray, just tell us, what's your favorite horror remake, and why?.

A winner will be randomly selected on Monday, October 27th.

Make a single post in this thread telling us your favorite horror remake to be entered to win.

Every franchise here got a second chance, but you only get one this time around, so make it count and you might win!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b88_fs.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	6783  
Old 10-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

It just works perfectly on so many different levels, and is one rare example where it really was better in many ways compared to the original film...at least IMO.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Black Christmas. It's humorous, looks beautiful, really does feel like Christmas, has some awesome chills and kills, and has a few actresses in it that I really like.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Gore Lunatic
Violenza Carnale

Night Of The Living Dead (1990)

A great remake that captures the mood and atmosphere of the original while adding new twists. I also like the cast in this one, Tom Towles was especially. I think what makes this remake work is the fact that most of the team that did the original film was involved in making it. Tom Savini did a great job directing as well.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
booper71
HackMaster

The 2009 Friday the 13th, because it didn't stray from the formula of parts 2-6 much.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
bigmix007
Victim

The Fly remake
Old 10-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

John Carpenter's The Thing. I was lucky to see it with my Mom and brother when it was released, and even over 30 years later, I watch it at least twice a year. The makeup effects have held up even after all these years.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

The Thing. It does something different from the original by going back to the source material to tell an entirely new story. It also uses the FX of the time to give us something that could've never been done in the original.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
crikan
HackMaster

John Carpenter's The Thing. Despite seeing the film numerous times it still puts me on the edge of my seat and I love Morricone's score.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
Egg_Shen
broomhead

John Carpenter's The Thing. Mostly for it's superb direction. Also, the music and performances.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #11
burieddeep
Stalker

The Hills Have Eyes...liked it more than the original.
burieddeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #12
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Mine would actually be The Blob 1988. I've always been a little obsessed about this one. It has some of the best characters and I love the small town in it. It's a place I want to live in and it's the glorious 1980s.

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Frankenstein (1931)

The first great film based on Mary Shelley's novel, and 83 years later it's still the best.

I realize it's disingenuous to call this a remake in the proper sense. James Whale's film was not based on J. Searle Dawley's "Edison" Frankenstein from 1910, nor was it based on Eugenio Testa's lost 1921 adaptation, Il mostro di Frankenstein. Then again, John Carpenter's The Thing was based on the novel, Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell, Jr., not on Howard Hawks' previous 1951 adaptation, The Thing from Another World.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
Ninjalo
Screamy Bopper

I will have to say The Thing remake is mine. It gives you that claustrophobic feel and is truly horrifying! Great direction and special effects, along with suburb acting adds to the horror!
Ninjalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #15
myhorror
Stalker

The Thing and The Fly are perfect examples of what a remake should do. You don't make a pointless remake of something that has come out in the last decade and dumb it down. You dig deep in the older films that could really be perfected with good practical effects, good writing, and good directing.