Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > News

Old 03-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #466
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by startide View Post
I saw Death Ship multiple times as a kid and loved it. (And it really is the kind of horror movie you can let kids watch - there's no monsters and no "boogeymen" to give them nightmares.) But as an adult it doesn't quite hold up, so I'd rent it beforehand if you can. It tends to polarise people - you either have fond childhood memories or it will bore you to tears!
Actually I only saw it for the first time about 5-6 years ago...i'm in my late 30's now....and I loved it! I've watched it 4-5 times since.

But yeah, I can see how some could be bored with it. It's a pretty slow movie but has a ton of creepy atmosphere.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #467
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Many people seem to confuse "slow" with "dull" or dismiss slowness as a handicap. The best films always take their time to build up the suspense, DEATH SHIP is no exception. Plus it has the added bonus of creepy goings-on seemingly every 15 minutes so you definitely should'nt be bored watching this film. These movies are already short (most clock in at 85 minutes or shorter). If they just got going with nothing but set pieces and setup, you'd have a sitcom-episode length feature. Give it a chance. Put down your cellphone for a second, turn off your computers, find a comfy chair, get some popcorn and hit the play button. Let the movie take you on a journey.

Last edited by elDomenechHDG; 03-05-2012 at 02:10 PM.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #468
ronnie21
HackMaster

el, i agree. i hate when movies look too digital..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #469
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Anyone know anything about this movie "The Survivor" which is the latest release of the Katarina Nightmare Theater series? Looks like it has some mixed reviews - kinda creepy/atmospheric or boring.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #470
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
Anyone know anything about this movie "The Survivor" which is the latest release of the Katarina Nightmare Theater series? Looks like it has some mixed reviews - kinda creepy/atmospheric or boring.
Yeah, I like it. I owned the old Platinum Disc DVD, and bought the new Scorpion release which has a longer cut of the film. It's a creepy and effective film, but I'd call it more of a suspense/thriller than a real horror film.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #471
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Hmmm, I'm intrigued. Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else have any thoughts? ZombieDude - for an Aussie film do you feel it's up to snuff? Hmmm?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #472
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Hmmm, I'm intrigued. Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else have any thoughts? ZombieDude - for an Aussie film do you feel it's up to snuff? Hmmm?
Well I haven't actually seen the film myself. I actually only fond out now that it's Australian. It looks a lot like Soul Survivor and something the Final Destination borrowed from.
I checked out the trailer on youtube and I thought it looks interesting.

While I'm here, what Nightmare Theater titles from Scorpion are a mus own so far? I've ordered Final Exam but I'm not sure what else to get from there.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #473
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Humongous!
Old 04-21-2012, 02:47 AM   #474
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Yeah, I would say Humongous and House On Sorority Row are the only must-owns so far.

House in particular. Even if you own a previous edition, the extras alone are worth the upgrade. Worked out well for me, as I picked up the new one for $7 and sold off my Liberation disc for $12.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:43 AM   #475
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Yea I was planning to double dip on House. I like that one Looks like it's House and Humongous then.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:49 AM   #476
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

I ordered The Survivor from the "exterminator" on Amazon for $10.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:51 AM   #477
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
I ordered The Survivor from the "exterminator" on Amazon for $10.
Let us know what you think
Old 04-21-2012, 03:53 AM   #478
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Will do - after reading all the reviews I think I've pretty much ruined the "twist" for myself, but we'll see how it goes
Old 04-21-2012, 03:58 AM   #479
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Will do - after reading all the reviews I think I've pretty much ruined the "twist" for myself, but we'll see how it goes
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like there'll be no review reading for me Well, maybe one or two
Old 04-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #480
startide
Stalker

Quote:
What little I know of The Survivor, I always thought it ostensibly an English film, albeit made in Australia. I'd be hard pressed to call it an "Australian" film, much like the others made during that decade and previously. Walkabout comes to mind, and that's got Aborigines in it!!!!! Ditto Road Games (though no Aborigines in that one). Stacey Keach had a lovely dingo though (no doubt a cattle dog in reality).

I haven't seen Nightmares, but most genre films of that period are spotty at best, and others just downright awful. Tarantino loved Next of Kin, but I don't remember much, which can't be a good thing. Houseboat Horror is at least pretty funny. Although made much later, I still can't believe Cut was ever made. WTF was Molly Ringwald thinking?

(And here I was thinking I didn't know much about Australian films.)

But I digress. Back on topic, The Day After Halloween (aka about half a dozen other retitlings, the local version was known as Snapshot) isn't the film you think it is either. I don't possibly see how a US cut can make sense of it. If your curiosity gets the better of you, buy it heavily discounted! I know I've talked about this film on the MB, both in this thread and others, but it's just a total non film. The Brian May score is stunning, but that would be the only possible reason I could see to watch/buy this film.

I ordered Final Exam last week, but didn't even think to pick up Humongous! (Smacks head, stupid girl.)

And WTF are Death Ship and Incubus? Delayed indefinitely? Though I haven't bought Silent Scream as of yet, perhaps I shouldn't complain. Thank Christ it's not a Code Red title, or it would have been OOP already...
startide is offline   Reply With Quote