Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > News

Old 02-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #661
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
I am most looking forward to ALLEY CAT
I saw a trailer for this on The Incubus, and it's definitely high on my "to-see" list. Looks like fun!
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #662
dave13
HackMaster

Its very cool to see Walter representing Scorpion here. i've blind bought several Katarina's Nightmare Theater DVDs over the last few months, and I've been happy with all of them (especially American Nightmare - damn, that movie was amazing!). I don't know if I plan to upgrade DotA or Grizzly yet. I have them both from Media Blasters, and while Walter is absolutely right about the compromised nature of the DotA transfer(s), the sad fact is that I just don't have the budget to upgrade EVERYTHING that deserves it, especially when companies like Scorpion continue to release wonderful discs of titles that I don't have in any form. For example, I haven't picked up Death Ship on BD yet. Given the choice, I'd almost certainly opt to pick that up rather than DotA, just because I don't yet own Death Ship in any form. However, I'll wait and see just what kind of package Walter and Scorpion are able to put out. I'd certainly LIKE to upgrade it....

Last edited by dave13; 02-08-2013 at 01:14 AM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #663
spawningblue
Deadite

Welcome Walter, can't wait to pick up your DOTA and Grizzly Blus. I think they are both awesome flicks, and great movies to start your Blu line with. Can't wait to see Leslie Nelson going crazy and wrestling a bear in HD! I still need to grab Death Ship though, never seen it but it looks like the kind of flick I would dig. Also never heard of Dogs, but if it's anything like the other animal flicks you are releasing, consider a copy purchased. Trailer makes it look pretty damn entertaining!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #664
Drinkinstein
Stalker

Welcome walter! Loving the Katarina line, I've been picking up pretty much every release whether I've seen the flick or not and so far I've definitely come to trust your taste in flicks. If Scorpion puts it out, chances are I'm gonna dig it so bring on "Dogs"!(which I haven't seen yet)
Drinkinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #665
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxRenn View Post
The Pyx deserves to be more widely known. It is an excellent movie whose unusual structure works in its favor as the film builds to its conclusion. It features good work by Black and Plummer and I am really looking forward to a widescreen DVD as I have only seen it on a poor quality VHS.

Nothing But the Night is not as good but is worth a look for Cushing and Lee fans and there is also a good part for Diana Dors.
Quote:
I got THE PYX last night. DVDPacific has been really good about getting these to me on or before the release date even with standard shipping.

Calling THE PYX a horror film is a stretch. There is nothing even remotely horror until the final 10 minutes and even that is very tame. Its really a murder mystery type thriller. Most of the screen time is police investigation and Karen Black dealing with addiction. It’s overly long and too many scenes really drag. The structure of the film and some good performances are the only thing that allowed me to finish it. The finale was nothing special. Its really forgettable and Katrina’s skit added nothing. I dig Karen Black so I might give the commentary track a spin.
(Quotes included just for context)

I received Nothing but the Night and The Pyx for christmas, and got around to watching them recently. Nothing but the Night was a little dull, but worth watching for the two leads. Curious about Lee's failed attempt at his own production company, and I definitely understand the comparisons to The Wicker Man. I don't imagine it will be one I watch very often, but I'm glad to have it nonetheless. Cushing and Lee are pure class, regardless of the material.

The Pyx I just watched last night, and I really enjoyed it. The story was fairly standard - people are right to label it a thiller, but that's ok. they just don't make movies like this anymore, what with the dozens of CSI-clones on tv. but the story wasn't the draw for me. The nonlinear structure was great, and the cinematography and performances by Black and Plummer were very engaging. I loved the style in which it was filmed. For instance, when Plummer and Black's gay friend are walking through Montreal, or when Black and the same friend are being followed by the black car, the camera watches the action through a blur of traffic, frequently obscured for long periods of time by a passing bus or something else, all of which is either muted or completely silent, and the characters seem so distant and alone. its very sombre. Many scenes play out with characters moving slowly from one room to another, saying nothing. It also has a great score, the highlights of which are the songs by Karen Black. I think its three songs in total, and they're incredibly haunting. It really worked for me. It was a great film-watching experience for me, based totally on the atmosphere that was generated, not really the story at all.

Last edited by dave13; 03-11-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #666
crikan
HackMaster

^^Now that I know what I'm getting into, I wouldn't be surprised if I enjoyed THE PYX more the second time around. Hopefully I remember to give it another look in a few years.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #667
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
^^Now that I know what I'm getting into, I wouldn't be surprised if I enjoyed THE PYX more the second time around. Hopefully I remember to give it another look in a few years.
i hope you do, i think you could find a lot to like, if you're in the mood for that type of thing
Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #668
Scorpion
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by foller View Post
Hopefully we will get reversible covers with the original coverart like Shout does. Didn't like the artwork in the "Day of the Animals" announcement.
The reason I picked an alternate art was because at the time, Media Blasters DVD with the famous art was still very much available even after their rights have expired, just like GRIZZLY, and didnt want to use the "girl looking out the window" art, but since then, it is disappearing, so what I might do is drop the Kat banner and instead do what you said, a reversible with both arts, like I did with SAVAGE STREETS and currently planning on doing with DARK SIDE OF GENIUS.

Oh cool, my posts are showing up now (it used to take couple of days)

Last edited by Scorpion; 04-12-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #669
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The reason I picked an alternate art was because at the time, Media Blasters DVD with the famous art was still very much available even after their rights have expired, just like GRIZZLY, and didnt want to use the "girl looking out the window" art, but since then, it is disappearing, so what I might do is drop the Kat banner and instead do what you said, a reversible with both arts, like I did with SAVAGE STREETS and currently planning on doing with DARK SIDE OF GENIUS.

Oh cool, my posts are showing up now (it used to take couple of days)
That's a great idea. Also, actually taking realistic fan suggestions into consideration is very cool. Good job.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #670
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Just saw over on Blu-Ray.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionReleasing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
DON'T GO IN THE HOUSE

Please let it be blu-ray, as others have said on your Facebook page, since it's apparently on your slate.

It is sickening how he burns those women, one of the most gritty and unforgetable horror-slashers. I missed the dvds but your blu would be day one
waiting for the film elements to come in to the lab, if the place thats holding the stuff's inventory list is accurate, it looks like a candidate for a BluRay release. But again, for now, awaiting the stuff to come in, for you never know until you look at the elements.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #671
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

From Facebook:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion Releasing
We are starting a new "banner" line called Dangerous Beauties Collection. We have two double bills within this line: RUNNING HOT/HOT TARGET and MALIBU HIGH/HUSTLER SQUAD. Both will have a Katarina's Kat Skratch Cinema segment, but we are not going to use that banner. We decided to opt for this other moniker instead as we are hoping to do some standalone "dangerous beauties" titles in our pipeline from a recently licensed library. FYI, these two are the last Kat Skratch Cinemas.

Extras on RUNNING HOT/HOT TARGET are: RUNNING HOT - Brand new 16x9 master from 2012 mastered in HD, play with or without Kat Skratch Cinema mode, original trailer. HOT TARGET - Brand new 16x9 master from the original IP, first time in widescreen on DVD, isolated music only track by Gille Melle.

Extras on MALIBU HIGH/HUSTLER SQUAD are: MALIBU HIGH - Brand new 16x9 (1.78:1) master in HD from the original negatives, on camera interview with star Tammy Taylor, play with or without Kat Skratch Cinema mode, Original Trailer. HUSTLER SQUAD - Brand new 16x9 master from the original CRI, first time in widescreen on DVD, Original Trailer.

Both MSRP are 16.95.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2388583&type=1

Quote:
And here is the other cover. Street date for both is 1/28. And remember, all of these have been recently remastered, some first time in widescreen!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2388583&type=1
Old 11-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #672
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Nice! At least they corrected Eric Stoltz's name on the cover. The old Code Red DVD had it misspelled as "Eric Stolz"

They are also both up for pre-order at Amazon:

Malibu High / Hustler Squad

Running Hot / Hot Target

Last edited by Katatonia; 11-17-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #673
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Quote:
On 3/11, in conjunction with ITV, we are releasing Lina Wertmuller's BLOOD FEUD with Sophia Loren, and Marcello Mastroianni, in widescreen from an HD master. Please note that this is the U.S. cut, and the English dub version, as that is whats been licensed to me. ITV does not control the other version or language tracks for the U.S. MSRP is 19.95.

Quote:
On 2/18, Scorpion Releasing, in conjunction with Westchester Films, presents ON THE YARD, a hard look at life in a prison facility. The film stars John Heard of CAT PEOPLE, Thomas G. Waites of THE THING, and Mike Kellin of SLEEPAWAY CAMP.

The DVD features a 16x9 widescreen (1.78:1) HD master, and an on camera interview with star Waites. The DVD's MSRP is 19.95.

Quote:
On 2/11, we at Scorpion are releasing FORCE FIVE. To make a long story short, I convinced Code Red that this title has a much broader appeal and deserves a wider release than just being available at his store. So watch it hit the shelves on 2/11!

The DVD will feature a brand new 16x9 widescreen master in HD, and an original trailer.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #674
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Old 12-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #675
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Whoa, Firepower! Awesome! I wonder if it's coming out on Blu-ray, or just DVD?

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote