Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Asian Horror and Other Pleasures

Old 11-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #31
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Anchor Bay used to think they owned Godzilla '85 as well and we all know how that turned out. Image maybe jumping the gun if they haven't consulted with Toho first.
rxfiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #32
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfiend View Post
Anchor Bay used to think they owned Godzilla '85 as well and we all know how that turned out. Image maybe jumping the gun if they haven't consulted with Toho first.
Image now has New World's catalog, but word is the rights have lapsed on Godzilla 1985. We'll see I guess. Media Blasters was rumored to be looking into Godzilla 1985, maybe for the Japanese edit which apparently has its own license. If Image releases this I doubt MB will bother.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?

Last edited by X-human; 11-26-2011 at 01:50 AM.
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #33
jonathan3880
Screamy Bopper

Its so crazy to watch horror nights. Its really a great show.
jonathan3880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #34
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Updates:

"Sorry guys but Toho still has not approved and they are upset about DAM also. In our effort to pack this with lots of extras that folks requested Toho is now making us hold on re-orders of DAM and MvG release. We are now trying to come to a settlement with Toho"

From Media Blaster's facebook.

Those who have gotten their DAM DVD or Blu-rays, feel lucky.
MisterTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #35
fceurich39
HackMaster

my indie store has the new DAM DVD STILL i wonder if i should it get it since i am assuming it will be OOP really quick i still have the older dvd release but only watched it once
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #36
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
my indie store has the new DAM DVD STILL i wonder if i should it get it since i am assuming it will be OOP really quick i still have the older dvd release but only watched it once
I would get it.

You never know what's going to happen with Toho.
MisterTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #37
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

The upcoming Criterion GODZILLA release ran afoul of this type of thing too. All the ownership parties had veto control over the content of the special features - and with the inclusion of the American cut there were more parties to deal with than usual - and one party, we don't know whether or not it was Toho, but I'm guessing it was - did not like something that was on the audio commentary. Apparently they had initially approved of what the commentator said, but then after the discs went in for authoring they had a change of heart and suddenly said "Take that out!" It was too late in the process for the commentator to be brought back to record something else, so now there will be several minutes of dead space I'm told, all they could do was edit the offending remarks out and bring up the movie volume in their place.

Last edited by Jeremy; 12-09-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #38
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

You guys are scaring me....I just ordered DAM blu-ray on Amazon. I was intending on waiting for a sale, but I'm not taking any chances.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #39
dave13
HackMaster

bummer. i can't afford to be picking stuff up for myself right now. xmas shopping is taking up the lions share of my extra cash, and after splurging on the barnes and noble 50% off sale, i swore to myself that i wouldn't buy anything else, no matter how much i wanted it or what a good deal it was, until boxing day. so far so good, but it might mean i miss out on stuff like this....
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #40
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

Got the DAM blu-ray in the mail today. Skipped through it a bit to check picture quality. Some scenes are a little soft while others pop with some good detail. A good start for my soon to grow Godzilla blu-ray collection.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:21 AM   #41
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

Word on the street is that Toho was unhappy either because the DESTROY ALL MONSTERS disc had too many special features or the behind-the-scenes stills gallery had images that were not cleared. If it's the latter of the two possibilities then there might be good reason the current hold-up on re-pressings, as Japanese laws with regards to the use of people's photographic images are different and much stricter than the American ones and could land Toho in some trouble. Of course one wonders why Toho did not catch it before it went in for pressing, since they presumably signed off on the master that Media Blasters created.

My overall opinion of Toho as a company is pretty low. Their recent output of films, Godzilla or otherwise, seems to have a very great "meh" factor to it. Their record on film preservation is adequate at best, and if you're unhappy with with image quality on DESTROY ALL MONSTERS, you should also know that this disc is from a restoration of the film that Toho commissioned. Their record on the presentation of their films is also adequate at best, with just one example being their domestic Blu-Ray of SEVEN SAMURAI, which was basically DNR'd to death. And of course their anal retentive nitpicking licensing policies, like making commentators get every word of their track approved in advance, is ridiculous. Toho has a reputation as being extremely hard to work with, and the more I think about it the more amazed I am at what a strong and long-lasting professional relationship Toho has managed to have with the Criterion Collection. Those guys must have the patience of saints.

Four years or so back I toyed with the idea of doing a brief video documentary on the el-cheapo EP and LP mode releasing VHS companies like Goodtimes and Star Classics and the like, the ones who released a lot of public domain or thought to be public domain films on cheap editions. The two examples that I wanted to use were NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and GODZILLA VS. MEGALON, since those were two of the most common VHS releases for two bit video labels. The NOTLD clips I wanted to use were no worry since the film was truly public domain, but I knew that GvM was not and therefore I needed clearance on the footage. But no real budget to pay for it. I made a request to Toho explaining the situation and proposing the use of limited clips from GvM for the purposes of explaining that the film was not actually public domain and that dozens of companies had spent years passing it off as such and defrauding Toho of royalties. Toho turned down my request, which didn't surprise me, since I was (and still basically am) a pretty much no-name filmmaker, so I understood why they would not be willing to enter into that kind of arrangement. Actually the person who contacted me back - a fellow named Kenji Sato, who was based at Toho's Los Angeles office on Century Park East - was unbelievably courteous to me in every communication we had, although there was an ominous sentence that he included in one of his messages: "May we remind you that unauthorized use of our films, Godzilla name and character (and any other Toho monsters' name and characters) would constitute trademark/copyright infringement." That is an exact quote from the e-mail that he sent, and it was clarified by him to mean that mentioning the film or the characters at all would constitute an infringement. Which was total bullshit. Not using footage, sound or pictures - or even VHS sleeves for that matter - from GODZILLA VS. MEGALON was an understandable restriction, but not even being able to mention the movie or the characters? That would not stand up in an American court, but that is the sort of legal BS that Toho has tried on others. I think my mental reaction at the time was that Toho deserved to have every two bit video company rip off their movie, since apparently even mentioning it in order to tell people that they OWNED IT was not okay with them.

Anyways, Toho owns not just the Godzilla films, but also most of Akira Kurtosawa's greatest works, as well as a number of other classics of world cinema. Basically they are a third rate company with a first rate legacy. Which is not unusual in today's world (think of the big American car companies who are still in business, for example).

Last edited by Jeremy; 12-15-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:20 AM   #42
X-human
I ate my keys

^ Don't use me as a witness in your trial, but in the US fair use has been well established and the Godzilla vs. Megalon trailer would most certainly fall under fair use. This is why you'll often see trailers or commercials used in documentaries.

From what little we've all heard on DAM, it sounds like Toho just wants more money for the stills. And Media Blasters says they're willing to oblige; which is more surprising to me because their own quality standards would lead me to believe they're stingy bastards.

It sounds like Media Blaster's discs will be back in action without any alterations. Which is just my luck because I ran out to buy DAM. However Criterion's Godzilla disc has already been confirmed to be edited for content:
http://moviemorlocks.com/2011/11/12/...dzilla-part-2/
http://moviemorlocks.com/2011/11/19/...dzilla-part-3/

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #43
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
Woah! I need to track me down that Italian "Cozzilla" version!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #44
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
However Criterion's Godzilla disc has already been confirmed to be edited for content
Now when you say that, what does that mean? The film or the extras?
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #45
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Now when you say that, what does that mean? The film or the extras?
Didn't you read the articles posted below that comment? Because that explains it. The commentary was edited right before final pressing.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote