Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 07-21-2003, 09:14 PM   #1
rhett

Thumbs up The Prom Night Series

Having just watched PROM NIGHT 4 recently, I'd like to know what you thought of it, as well as the rest of the great series. If I were to rank them, I'd say:

1, 2, 4, 3.

The first is a classic in my eyes. Jamie Lee gives one of her best performances, the disco score is awesome, and the characters and final revelation are all very interesting.

I thought 4 was great because the killer was something rarely done in horror films. He was the priest, and his motives fit perfectly within the slasher genre. He was killing because teenagers were having pre-marital sex, which is of course considered wrong in many religions. In most other movies, the killer kills people having sex because it upsets them, or what have you, but here it actually makes more sense. The killer himself though, is done very well, and is damn creepy.

Part 2 is a pretty disturbing little flick, it is definitely one of the darker horror films to emerge from the slasher boom. The ending and the scenes with the rocking horse are particularily unsettling.

I like 3, but it does go way over the top, and it is pretty cheesy. It is more of a horror/comedy, but still it has many good moments. It's been a while, but I do remember the infamous Jukebox from hell.

So what do you guys think of the series?
Old 07-21-2003, 09:22 PM   #2
r_burgos2003

It's a good series. I'm surprised that not a lot of people have complained about the story line switching from parts 1 to 2 like they did with Halloween.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:48 PM   #3
dwatts
HackMaster

I just traded away Prom night 1 because I felt it was so poor. So I guess I won't be pursuing the others. I don't know, it just seemed rather bland to me.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:51 PM   #4
Mattster

Quote:
Originally posted by r_burgos2003
It's a good series. I'm surprised that not a lot of people have complained about the story line switching from parts 1 to 2 like they did with Halloween.
Halloween 1 & 2 didn't switch storylines. I hate Prom Night 2 and I've never seen the other two sequels. I think the second film wasn't intended to be a sequel to Prom Night. I don't see how you can go from being a straight up slasher to a supernatural Carrie ripoff. I love the poster though.

Last edited by Mattster; 07-21-2003 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:54 PM   #5
r_burgos2003

I worded it wrong. What I ment to say was that the plot line of Prom Night changed from parts 1-2 as did the Halloween movies (breifly) from parts 2-3
Old 07-21-2003, 10:06 PM   #6
Cujo108

I love all of the PROM NIGHT films except for the awful original. I just saw Part 4 the other day and must agree that it was great, and Nicole DeBoer of CUBE fame is gorgeous on top of that. Anyhow, here is how I would rank the series from favorite to least favorite:

2, 4, 3, 1

I still think the ultra hottie who played Kelly in Part 2 should've been the lead instead of the bland girl they picked though.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:09 PM   #7
Tawny
You guys got sour balls?

I would Rank them 1, 2, 3.I have never seen 4, so I don't know.I loved Prom Night when I saw it as a kid, I had no Idea who the killer was.After watching it as an adult, I look at it as more comedy.Aside from Leslie Nielsen, it has the unibrow bully and the fat dork who drives the van.Of course the disco scenes are hilarious!Unintentionally though.What were they thinking?Just a bit of trivia, the "bad girl" Jamie's rival for Nick married Michael Chrichton in real life.Just thought you might want to know that.I also thought she looked much hotter than Jamie at the dance.Jamie's dress was so ugly!
Tawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:15 PM   #8
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Part one is a fun slasher (thanks again dwatts), very cheesy but Jamie Lee did a fine job.
Part 2 is more of a supernatural horror film in my opinion but still alright.
I kinda hated part 3. Part 4 was ok, especially that semi-lesbian scene

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:25 PM   #9
Tawny
You guys got sour balls?

There was a near-lesbian scene in part 2 also.
Tawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:26 AM   #10
Mark Relford
Chairman of the Bored

"That wasn't a person. It was a guidance counselor!"
Last Kiss is my favorite from the Prom Night series. I usually don't dig horror movies that go overboard with the comedy, but this one's the exception. It's such a fun flick! The ending is a bit of a downer...
I didn't care for the fourth one. It was very stale.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:04 AM   #11
onebyone

From best to worse:

1, 4, 3, 2

I really like 4. I was very surprised by it, it was so very pleasing and actually scary in parts.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:14 PM   #12
RyanPC

Ok, now I've got to see 3 and 4. I've only seen the first two.

I think Part One is great. Part Two is pretty good, I was surprised to see it on TV one time.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:33 AM   #13
puddytay

Which is the best Prom Night Flick?

Well I dont know if I have actually seen any of them. Is there one that theres a Dead Girl. And I mean the chick is really hot. And she has him do things for her in exchange for sex? Or is this some other movie? I mean are any of these any good?
Old 07-25-2003, 10:58 AM   #14
RyanPC

You've never heard of these? The first one is a slasher with Jamie Lee Curtis, and it has nothing to do with the ones that follow. There's four of them, but I believe the one you're thinking of is Prom Night 3: The Last Kiss, even though I never saw it.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:38 PM   #15
Richard Anthony
Stalker

I love the PROM NIGHT Film series, here's a quick rundown:

PROM NIGHT is a classic Horror Slasher with Jamie Lee Curtis in one of her best Scream Queen roles, and Leslie Nielsen in one of
his last serious roles. Edde Benton is a standout as sexy, bitchy, Wendy, and watch out for the classic Disco dancing scene with JLC at the Prom! This film is one of the best and most popular Slasher films of the 80's, and it works well as a mystery and a scary little Horror Slasher film as well. The Killer's identity was a surprise to me the first time that I saw the film, and it still holds up today. PROM NIGHT has some well done chase scenes, and some creative deaths as well, PROM NIGHT is an 80's Horror classic!!

HELLO MARY LOU: PROM NIGHT II is a sequel in name only, but it's alot of fun. Mary Lou was killed at the Prom years ago, and this year she's out for revenge! This film is a great, fun mix of CARRIE and THE EXORCIST, with Lisa Scrage turning in a great performance as Mary Lou, there is also some good work from genre vet Michael Ironside as the principal. I love the way almost every character in this film has the last name of a Horror director! It's Great fun!

PROM NIGHT III: THE LAST KISS is one of my favorites, with the lovely Courtney Taylor playing Mary Lou this time around. This one plays up the comic aspects more so then any entry in the series, but it still is alot of fun. Cynthia Preston(who plays Mob Widow Faith on TV's "General Hospital") is great as the heroine in the film.

PROM NIGHT IV: DELIVER US FROM EVIL returns the series to it's Slasher film roots, and this time around it's a Horror Slasher film with a deranged priest stalking and killing 4 teens on Prom Night. This film has some creepy moments, and a few great scares as well.

Last edited by Richard Anthony; 07-25-2003 at 05:41 PM.
Richard Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote