Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Mok
Family is Forever

The Purge 2013

This one came and went under the radar. I remember seeing the trailer and thinking it sounded a little hoakey. Someone recommended it so I checked it out and man, IT'S FUCKIN' AWESOME! Well, there's some problems with it, but it's got a fucking cool, old school Carpenter / Manhunt (videogame) atmosphere. It reminded me specifically of Assault on Precinct 13, (which ironically Ethan Hawk starred in the remake. I'll be checking that next). I hope they make more of these. I see on it's wiki page they're planning on it.

If there's already a thread about this I apologize for the duplicate but whenever I search something lately I'm always surprised to find that it hasn't been covered. Especially in this case.

PS: Lena Headey looks hawt with the black hair
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
This one came and went under the radar.
I would hardly say that. It was a huge box office success, especially considering it's $3 million budget. It made over $30 million in it's opening weekend alone.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I would hardly say that. It was a huge box office success, especially considering it's $3 million budget. It made over $30 million in it's opening weekend alone.
Maybe I'm just under the radar then

I saw one trailer for it and kind of forgot about it. There also doesn't seem to be a thread on here about it. Then again I just searched "conjuring" and came up with no results too, so go figure.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

It was nice to see Platinum Dunes do something besides a remake. lol It's worth checking out once.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

was going to avoid, but if it works for Mok I'll add it to my queue.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
was going to avoid, but if it works for Mok I'll add it to my queue.
Right on!
Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #7
chancetx
Maniac

I was disappointed with it. Had someone like Carpenter directed it would have made some really strong statements about race relations and wealth disparity in our country. But those elements are never truly explored and what's left is just a PG-13 level home invasion thriller with a premise full of implausibilities. I guess there are some good kills which earn the R rating for gore but the showdown between Hawke and the main home invader is a huge letdown and the big "twist" is obvious from the beginning.

"You're Next" may not have been without its flaws but at least it was a fun ride. Sad that it flopped so badly while "The Purge" was a hit.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I agree that You're Next was much better. The Purge was okay, but it seemed like a waste to have such a unique premise only to deliver just another average home invasion film.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #9
Erick H.
HackMaster

I thought it was an A+ idea and a B-execution.It started quite well but the last third seemed a bit formulaic to me.A solid cast helps ,though Lena Headey was underused.Worth a look though.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Finally got around to checking this out from the library. I expected nothing as it looked kinda dumb to me, but really enjoyed it. Some parts felt like The Strangers, only better in being more twisted and comical. Even though I saw the final twist coming from the first reel, I still really dug this one. I'll pick it up when the price drops low enough. Didn't love it, but really like it.

Of course I had to ask myself stuff like, "is the crime only legal if it takes place on camera with a timestamp?" Or, is every inch of the US now covered by a camera? What happens if you kill a few seconds too late, or too early? How do rapists keep their dick in their pants for 364 days? Most murder is spur of the moment, how you gonna wait for the special day? Why would anyone rich enough even stay that night? Go to Mexico fools! Very interesting premise that needed to be more hashed out, but still fun.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #11
spawningblue
Deadite

I really liked this one a lot as well. Yes the concept is ridiculous, but I still had fun with it. Really surprised by all the hate it received. I wonder if expectations were in play, where people wanted to see more of the purge, and less another home invasion film.

Thankfully, that's exactly what they are going to give us for the sequel, so I'm actually really excited to see it!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:54 PM   #12
crikan
HackMaster

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed THE PURGE. I pay zero attention to new films coming out (especially horror) but caught the trailer for this on hulu. I was intrigued by the poster art. If you don't over-think it, the concept behind the film is pretty rad and well executed. It has just the right amount social commentary without bogging down the action and tension. Ethan Hawke is great but Rhys Wakefield's performance was absolutely chilling. He needs to play a polite psychopath is some more films. I'd love to see him as the lead villain in a Die Hard-like film.

I did not see the final twist coming.

My first thought is to skip the sequel, as I'm guessing it can only be a letdown. I really enjoyed the home invasion part and I fear that the story will seem too ridiculous if it were to follow the mass carnage happening out in the open.

Last edited by crikan; 01-05-2015 at 09:58 PM.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #13
Matt89
HackMaster

I really didn't like The Purge. I thought the sequel was actually much better. Gives the perspective of being out on the streets the night of the purge as opposed to being locked in a house.

~Matt
Old 01-05-2015, 11:15 PM   #14
MaxRenn
Stalker

The sequel was a lot better. More of an action movie with an excellent lead and some unexpected bits. I also liked most of the main characters which makes a change.