Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 12-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #106
Mark Relford
Chairman of the Bored

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
The two Second Sight releases I have are region free (ROTLD and Basket Case Trilogy). Even though the Basket Case Trilogy is mentioned as Region B in any press/website I've seen, it is actually region free.

So I can only guess that these future releases may be as well, but really it depends on their contracts so err on caution until it is out there.
Have you checked out the extras on the first Basket Case? The feature length doc, radio spots and production/promotional galleries work fine, but the other extras don't. Does yours work? Wondering if this is a defective disc...
Old 12-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #107
Matt89
HackMaster

My friend got me the steelbook of Return of the Living Dead and my region-free player is broken for the time being. For the time being, what special features on this disc do/do not work on region-locked players?

~Matt
Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #108
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
My friend got me the steelbook of Return of the Living Dead and my region-free player is broken for the time being. For the time being, what special features on this disc do/do not work on region-locked players?

~Matt
The movie and the More Brains! documentary work fine, everything else won't. Unless you have a Samsung blu-ray player, which I have and it plays everything on the disc.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #109
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
And let me be clear. I am NOT launching a Kentai-style attack on this restoration effort based on screenshots. What I am saying is that these images look vastly different than they have in the past--which might be a cause for concern.
It just occurred to me, the Image transfer was originally prepared for NTSC DVD which has a shallower color depth then Blu-ray HD. When that transfer was dusted off for the Blu-ray they didn't go back to the original telecine and work down from there re-doing everything. They must have used the last step of the 2k master before they downconvered to NTSC DVD.

If you look at the 4k scans you'll notice the colors aren't radically different. Green is still Green. Blue is still Blue. Etc. There's just more of a variation between shades. The sky shows an excellent scale of blues that's frankly impossible to see on DVD. Those kinds of things are adjusted before being put on NTSC be it VHS or DVD.

This isn't like Halloween or Coppola's Dracula. All we're seeing is the HD format doing what it does better then NTSC DVD. Details and color.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #110
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
The movie and the More Brains! documentary work fine, everything else won't. Unless you have a Samsung blu-ray player, which I have and it plays everything on the disc.
What model Samsung player, and does it play other region locked stuff or just do PAL conversion? Tried any R2 dvds on it?

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #111
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
What model Samsung player, and does it play other region locked stuff or just do PAL conversion? Tried any R2 dvds on it?
It's really weird. I do not claim to know all that much about the technical aspects of how these things work, but my Samsung home theater plays all of the extras on the Arrow region free blus which most other players will not play. It will not play anything but region A and region free blus, but for instance the extras on Arrow's region free blus and the all the extras on Second Sight's Return of the Living Dead blu play no problem. So it basically just does a PAL conversion on blu ray discs, but it will only play region 1 DVDs though which makes no sense to me at all. It does PAL conversion on a blu ray disc, but not on any region 0 PAL DVDs. I don't get it. Unless there are two different lasers that play the blu ray and DVD discs? Like I said, I'm not that educated on the technical aspects of how these players work. I know there are people on the board who know a lot more about the inner workings than I do. Maybe they can explain why this is.

Last edited by Mikey Horror; 12-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Mikey Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #112
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
It's really weird. I do not claim to know all that much about the technical aspects of how these things work, but my Samsung home theater plays all of the extras on the Arrow region free blus which most other players will not play. It will not play anything but region A and region free blus, but for instance the extras on Arrow's region free blus and the all the extras on Second Sight's Return of the Living Dead blu play no problem. So it basically just does a PAL conversion on blu ray discs, but it will only play region 1 DVDs though which makes no sense to me at all. It does PAL conversion on a blu ray disc, but not on any region 0 PAL DVDs. I don't get it. Unless there are two different lasers that play the blu ray and DVD discs? Like I said, I'm not that educated on the technical aspects of how these players work. I know there are people on the board who know a lot more about the inner workings than I do. Maybe they can explain why this is.
I'm not sure either, but I doubt there are 2 lasers inside. Sounds like yours is set free for bd region, but not for dvd. Then no one set it to freak out when faced with PAL, it just converts like most old dvd players did. Strange that some protections were turned on while others weren't, but congrats

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #113
russweiss
Maniac

Re-animator is selling for under $10.00 on Amazon right now.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...e-animator+blu
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #114
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Relford View Post
Have you checked out the extras on the first Basket Case? The feature length doc, radio spots and production/promotional galleries work fine, but the other extras don't. Does yours work? Wondering if this is a defective disc...
So it sounds like this set is like the Living Dead set in that only some extras will work? That's a little disappointing.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #115
spawningblue
Deadite

So Drinkenstein said the Basket Case Trilogy and all its extras are region free in the Re-Animator thread so maybe there is something wrong with your disc Mark. Can anyone else chime in and confirm this one way or another?

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #116
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
So it sounds like this set is like the Living Dead set in that only some extras will work? That's a little disappointing.
don't know a thing about the basket case disc, but the CotLD BD was region all but had some of its extras encoded with PAL, which is why most north american players couldn't play them. could that be the case here?
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #117
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
don't know a thing about the basket case disc, but the CotLD BD was region all but had some of its extras encoded with PAL, which is why most north american players couldn't play them. could that be the case here?
Anything that's not HD content on a UK release that's "Region Free" is still going to be PAL, so yes, if you don't have a player that can convert PAL to NTSC or play PAL content, those features will not work on your player.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #118
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
I'm not sure either, but I doubt there are 2 lasers inside. Sounds like yours is set free for bd region, but not for dvd. Then no one set it to freak out when faced with PAL, it just converts like most old dvd players did. Strange that some protections were turned on while others weren't, but congrats
If I understand correctly, there should be three different lasers in a Blu-Ray player, one for Blu-Ray playback (405 nm blue laser), one for DVD playback (650 nm red laser) and a third for CD playback (780 nm near-infrared laser).
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #119
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Different companies... Basket Case (Second Sight) and City Of The Living Dead (Arrow)
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #120
X-human
I ate my keys

German release date 9/27/13! Two Blu-ray discs with one DVD.

Translation and compilations of the Capelight Pictures Facebook announcement: http://www.kentaiblog.com/2013/08/re...n-classic.html

But this is translated from Facebook:
Quote:
While the unrated version will be included on disc 1, still the question disc 2 to Blu-ray. And Yes, it is the "integral version" - which contains the extended story sequences of the TV version and the sex & Gore part of the unrated version. All new scenes are been scanned completely by the way just like the unrated version in HD.
Extras will mostly be the same it appears: http://www.kentaiblog.com/2013/08/re-extramator.html

Hopefully the UK release will be announced soon.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote