Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 11-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #46
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
I truly donīt think itīs a licensing issue because that would make the "Intruder" release "region A locked" and probably would be sold only on their site. I also donīt believe that the copyright owners would license the DVD-R workprint alone.
If it's not a licensing issue then why don't they ship world wide? It's money in the bank right?

It's 100% a licensing issue. Whoever owns the rights to Intruder may want to sell rights to Germany, UK, etc, etc, and an American company shipping world wide would mean the rights owner would get less money licensing to these other countries. German distributors would demand a lower licensing cost because they're competing with US distributors. The way Synapse is able to keep its costs down is to buy distribution rights for only the US and agree not to ship outside the US.

The region locking is interesting but the fine print on contracts can be tricky things. I don't know if Synapse has ever said it, but most distributors who have admitted as much say that if they can go regionless they do. Every contract for every movie can be different. Criterion has said as much, that some films they can't do on Blu-ray because HD distribution is not in their contract for that film.

It's also somewhat comical that your email is making a suggestion like they never thought of something like that before. "Holy shit, guys did you hear? There's this place called Europe, and there are fans there who exchange currency for products there just like here! Who knew?"

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #47
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

I'm sure the workprint will be on a torrent at some point, so you can get it then!
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #48
Stige
HackMaster

well .....either that or maybe I have something others desperatly want and can make a trade somehow

strange thing is i HAD the workprint( I assume time code and everything) a long time ago on VHS and threw it away when the dvd came
Stige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #49
fart_mike
Victim

i love the cover, as it reminds me of old camp video vhs covers like gore-met zombie chef from hell and the gamut of genesis video covers, with cheap halloween props lying around some fake blood...
fart_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #50
streetlight
Victim

I agree with mike. Synapses cover looks quite good, a couple negatives though - I really don't like the translucent FANGORIA logo in the bottom right hand corner and the background looks very cool (aisles of the store) and could have been made a but more bold to be noticed
streetlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #51
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlight View Post
I really don't like the translucent FANGORIA logo in the bottom right hand corner

methinks that's just a watermark.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #52
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlight View Post
I agree with mike. Synapses cover looks quite good, a couple negatives though - I really don't like the translucent FANGORIA logo in the bottom right hand corner and the background looks very cool (aisles of the store) and could have been made a but more bold to be noticed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post

methinks that's just a watermark.
Yes, thatīs a watermark.
The picture on the Synapse website...
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #53
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Wow, I unexpectedly received Intruder in the mail yesterday from Synapse!

The DVD-R was hand numbered "Intruder Workprint 062/500". No printed label on it, just a Verbatim DVD-R.

Yeah sure, I paid more for it... but it was well worth getting it early.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #54
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Wow, I unexpectedly received Intruder in the mail yesterday from Synapse!

The DVD-R was hand numbered "Intruder Workprint 062/500". No printed label on it, just a Verbatim DVD-R.

Then mine would say Sony...
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #55
fceurich39
HackMaster

my money order arrived but synapse's offices closed saturdaY i guess so it says notice left accoridng to delivery confirmation number whatever that means
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #56
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Ideally I would buy all my Synapse Films discs directly from them, but I can't really afford that. But if they do little things like this I'll buy more from them, as I often do from distributors with other similar offers.

Word is this has been very successful and they may sell out rather quickly.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #57
Mikey Horror
Maniac

I just placed my order directly with Synapse. I figure Amazon is selling this for $21.99 + $2.98 shipping, so it would be $24.97 total and Synapse is selling it for $29.95 with free shipping, so for and extra $5 you get a limited workprint version and shipping a month early. Yeah, that was a no brainer.

Last edited by Mikey Horror; 11-13-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Mikey Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #58
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Synapse have really done an A+ job on this one. Intruder looks better than it probably ever has before. The HD transfer has a healthy natural layer of grain, and vibrant colors. You can certainly see far more background details than ever before. And the lossless mono audio is clear and gets the job done accurately.

The real gem of the extras is the 39-minute "Slashed Pieces" (in full 1080p) Featurette, which features a ton of members from the crew and cast. Charles Band even appears!

I can try and post some screengrabs from the DVD tomorrow if anyone's interested. I'd post some from the Blu-ray, but my AnyDVD software needs updating for that.

The workprint DVD-R runs a little under 2 minutes longer than the director's cut on the Blu-ray/DVD, and there are no opening or end credits in the workprint version – so it's really a bit longer there too. And even though a screen comes up when you pop in the disc indicating it was sourced from a VHS, it looks quite clear and detailed for a VHS transfer. There are rarely any video artifacts and the audio is clear. It actually looks far better than I'd hoped.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #59
HoldenMcNeil
Stalker

What is that music that ted raimi is listening to? It is totally stuck in my head now. Also, the film looks great. Synapse really did a great job with this transfer.

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

37!!!

You Mean the Movie Lied!?
HoldenMcNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #60
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

Wow, people are receiving their copies already, a month early? I guess it pays to pre-order sometimes. I wonder if this is a tactic they use to get people to buy stuff directly from them. In any case, I hope to receive my copy soon even though I just put the order in.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote