Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #76
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Official plot synopsis of Coven:

Quote:
"American Horror Story: Coven" tells the secret history of witches and witchcraft in America. Over 300 years have passed since the turbulent days of the Salem witch trials and those who managed to escape are now facing extinction. Mysterious attacks have been escalating against their kind and young girls are being sent away to a special school in New Orleans to learn how to protect themselves. Wrapped up in the turmoil is new arrival, Zoe (Taissa Farmiga), who is harboring a terrifying secret of her own. Alarmed by the recent aggression, Fiona (Jessica Lange), the long-absent Supreme, sweeps back into town, determined to protect the Coven and hell-bent on decimating anyone who gets in her way.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3825007.html

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #77
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

http://youtu.be/mmRXT7w2C1s

The pretty creepy new main titles for this season! I think it looks fantastic, it's dark and moody.

From other things i've read that Ryan Murphy is drawing from Suspiria for some visual inspiration, this may be a season y'all all might want to catch!

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #78
deepred
Maniac

I'm really looking forward to it!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #79
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Very cool title sequence! Should be another great season.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #80
Mr.G
Victim

Hopefully I find it just as good as season 1. The second season was hit and miss (mostly miss) for me.
Mr.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #81
Paff

Can you guys believe this is a weekly television series?

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #82
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

I'm really excited about the premise for this season. Hopefully they can fill this one out for the full 13 episodes, because the second season barely pulled that off. Honestly, they could have combined the last three episodes, cutting out all the filler, and made it a hour and a half long finale.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #83
maybrick
HackMaster

I pretty much forced myself to the end of the first series and never tried the second, nor am I tempted to. Ultimately it was passible, but for the amount of negativity aimed at Breaking Bad around here, this series, American Horror Story, is what I would truly call over-rated. It was obviously originally envisioned and written to be a finite, limited series and they should have kept it that way, but I guess money talks doesn't it?
maybrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #84
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

How is season 2? I tried to get through season 1 and I got fed up with how slow it was getting. Too much "come on already" and not enough small payoffs in between. Plus it was so over-the-top anti-male that it was really getting to the point of "ok I get it".
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #85
deepred
Maniac

Season 2 is not as slow, is pretty fast-paced and has an everything but the kitchen sink vibe that makes it fun but can also make certain aspects weak because they do too much. It has aliens, a satanic nun, a leatherface like killer, nazi experiments, deformed creatures, a killer santa, cruel mental health treatment, etc.

I found Season 2 a lot more darker and disturbing than Season 1 but I enjoyed Season 1 too.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #86
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I pretty much forced myself to the end of the first series and never tried the second, nor am I tempted to.... It was obviously originally envisioned and written to be a finite, limited series and they should have kept it that way
If you didn't (and won't) watch the second season, how would you even know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
How is season 2? I tried to get through season 1 and I got fed up with how slow it was getting. Too much "come on already" and not enough small payoffs in between. Plus it was so over-the-top anti-male that it was really getting to the point of "ok I get it".
Second season is really out there, both good and bad. As Deepred mentions, they hit up every genre they possibly can. Continuity, logic, and coherency is an afterthought. But that's what makes it so fun too.

As I've said before, this really stretches the standards of basic cable (in terms of sex and violence), and I have little doubt that if this show were a theatrical movie, it would easily be rated R. I enjoy the hell out of this show, and I'm looking forward to Coven (which only makes me think of American Movie). Also happy they're bringing back Alexandra Breckenridge and Taissa Fermiga from the first season. Addressing Maybrick's comments, I think the fact that they bring back actors from previous seasons in completely different roles is a stroke of genius, and I'm soooooooo glad they did not stop at one season.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 09-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #87
Anaestheus
HackMaster

I know I've said this else where, but I could never call this a "good show" but it is endlessly fascinating. There is a delirium to the whole thing that I find immensely entertaining. Everything is so over the top and there is such a concerted effort to fit in so many ideas and genres all for the sake of bad taste and logic-be-damned. Even though it does make the show incoherent at times and is responsible for a lot of misses, just the fact that they take the swings that they do is part of the fun. In many ways, I approach AHS in the same way that I do the best of Argento.

And I do really appreciate that they tell a completely different story with each season. For one, it helps keep things fresh. And it's nice to see the actors take on the different roles.

I never recommend the show to anyone, but I do tell everyone that I have a great time watching it.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #88
Mr.G
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
Season 2 is not as slow, is pretty fast-paced and has an everything but the kitchen sink vibe that makes it fun but can also make certain aspects weak because they do too much. It has aliens, a satanic nun, a leatherface like killer, nazi experiments, deformed creatures, a killer santa, cruel mental health treatment, etc.

I found Season 2 a lot more darker and disturbing than Season 1 but I enjoyed Season 1 too.
The 'everything but the kitchen sink vibe' didn't work for me. Stick to one or two items and do those well. It's as if the writers were Jackson Pollock fans and wanted to throw shit on the canvas and let others discern an interpretation.
Mr.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #89
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
The 'everything but the kitchen sink vibe' didn't work for me. Stick to one or two items and do those well. It's as if the writers were Jackson Pollock fans and wanted to throw shit on the canvas and let others discern an interpretation.
I do agree that they spread themselves out a little thin in Season 2. Aliens? Seriously? Of course, if you had told me a few years ago that we'd have a primetime TV show with nunsploitation, I'd have thrown you in an asylum myself.

I hope Season 3 is a little more restrained, but even if it's not, I'll be tuning in each week regardless.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 09-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #90
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
If you didn't (and won't) watch the second season, how would you even know?
Reading is fundamental.
maybrick is online now   Reply With Quote