Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 04-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #16
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I bought Drive Me Crazy. No extras and it pretty much looked like a DVD. Nothing really popped out. It did have a menu though, for what it's worth.

But it was only $5, and I didn't own it before so I wasn't upgrading from anything.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:32 AM   #17
Nailwraps
HackMaster

I don't get it why Anchor Bay couldn't port the extras (music video/trailers/tv spots) for their own release? I mean, since they have the partnership with Fox, they can't ask them to give them previous DVD extras? :/

Then again, some of the extras from Joe Somebody Fox DVD were ported over for Anchor Bay's DVD/Blu release of the film.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
tropical marsh
Stalker

They really have been shitty releases so far--just lazy and barely doing the minimum. I was really hoping for some exciting stuff with this partnership, but it's mostly a bunch of crappy romcoms. AB's website shows some of the other Fox titles they've acquired, and most of them wouldn't be worth bringing to blu (or, they wouldn't excite me). Why can't AB be a bit like they were in their glorious past? The Driver (1978), The Fury (1978), Tattoo (1981), I, the Jury (1982), The Entity (1982), Enemy Mine (1985), Alien Nation (1988)--any of these titles would be most welcome. Shit, I'd be happy with The Adventures of Ford Fairlane.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical marsh View Post
They really have been shitty releases so far--just lazy and barely doing the minimum. I was really hoping for some exciting stuff with this partnership, but it's mostly a bunch of crappy romcoms. AB's website shows some of the other Fox titles they've acquired, and most of them wouldn't be worth bringing to blu (or, they wouldn't excite me). Why can't AB be a bit like they were in their glorious past? The Driver (1978), The Fury (1978), Tattoo (1981), I, the Jury (1982), The Entity (1982), Enemy Mine (1985), Alien Nation (1988)--any of these titles would be most welcome. Shit, I'd be happy with The Adventures of Ford Fairlane.
Agreed. I'm glad Terror Train is with Shout Factory for instance. Hopefully they'll get The Entity too at some point. Anchor Bay did a good DVD of The Entity years ago, but it wouldn't surprise me if they ever did release it to Blu-ray they'd just do another subpar release like License to Drive.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #20
Nailwraps
HackMaster

I e-mailed Anchor Bya regarding why previous extras are being left out on their Fox releases. Waiting for a response as we speak.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #21
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
I e-mailed Anchor Bya regarding why previous extras are being left out on their Fox releases. Waiting for a response as we speak.
i emailed them months ago asking if there were any plans for a Nosferatu blu ray. no reply.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #22
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

They can't even release the classics they have, like Phantasm, Re-Animator, etc. I asked them about it and got some bullshit canned answer about it not being cost effective to remaster older films, blah blah blah. Which is fine, so I told them to quit sitting on them and release the rights so other companies have the opportunity to give the fans what they want. Got no reply to that request.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #23
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
They can't even release the classics they have, like Phantasm, Re-Animator, etc. I asked them about it and got some bullshit canned answer about it not being cost effective to remaster older films, blah blah blah. Which is fine, so I told them to quit sitting on them and release the rights so other companies have the opportunity to give the fans what they want. Got no reply to that request.
The irony in that statement is if it wasn't for the older films they released and remastered only a mere 10 years ago - they wouldn't be where they are today.

I am really starting to loose respect for Anchor Bay as a company, they just don't seem to give a shit anymore about the properties that got them to where they are. I was hoping they'd put out CEMETERY MAN on Blu, but now I hope Shout! ends up with it, it will be much better off.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #24
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

It just doesn't make any sense to me. Look at companies like Blue Underground and Synapse. Sure their films have a rather large cult following, but they are nowhere near as popular as some of the films that Anchor Bay holds the rights to yet Bill and Don are obviously making money or they wouldn't be doing it. Anchor Bay is full of shit with their "cost effective" excuse. I just wish they'd let the rights pass to to someone who will release them and not keep them locked in a vault somewhere. What could they possibly have to gain from just ignoring the titles that they have?

Last edited by Mikey Horror; 04-21-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Mikey Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #25
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Since some of those titles are still available on DVD, they technically aren't sitting on them. Even though blu-ray is gaining footing, there is still a huge market for DVD.

And you can't really compare a company like Anchor Bay with Synapse or Blue Underground any more. Comparing them to LionsGate might be more appropriate. Anchor Bay has their own theatrical releases now, and much bigger things to worry about.

Cult titles were just their foot in the door.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #26
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
The answer is easy, they're lazy. They've released a ton of Blu-rays that were completely barebones, porting none of the old DVD extras over. Many were even Starz original movies, so there's really no other excuse.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, Beyond Sherwood Forest, Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer, Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer, Spiral, etc...

They were so lazy on those Blu-rays, that they didn't even port over the SDH subtitles and most of them didn't even have a menu. They just "play"

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #27
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Bumping this thread to report more Fox titles from Anchor Bay a-comin'!:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=215612

Still... wake me up when we get Freaked.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #28
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Really. They'll release that shit but not films like Phantasm or...oh fuck it. I give up bitching about this shit.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #29
Matt89
HackMaster

Wow. What a list of shit.

~Matt
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #30
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

No Airheads fans?
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor bay fox