Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 02-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #31
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
as i type this im watching the movie for the first time. on the synapse dvd that i just bought through the deepdiscount sale. glad i decided to go this route, rather than waiting for the blu ray, after reading comments here, and this review, possibly the most negative one i've ever read.
Yikes! I'm sticking with my Synapse DVD.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #32
ReelFear
Maniac

Glad I waited for the reviews before buying.
I'll stick with my DVD and be happy.
ReelFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #33
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Ugh... what the hell did they do, just upconvert the 8-year-old transfer and add DNR?

I have one coming on Wednesday from Barnes & Noble, but thankfully it was FREE thanks to that 3-for-2 sale they recently had. Ah well, at least it was free.

If anyone wants it (after it gets here of course), I'll sell it unopened for $12 shipped 1st class in the US + include a bonus random horror DVD.

Last edited by Katatonia; 02-14-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: spelling error
Katatonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #34
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

Man, it's a sad day when an 8 year old DVD outclasses the transfer on a new blu-ray. Guess I'll just buy Synapse's DVD off of Don's table at the upcoming Cinema Wasteland. I doubt this movie will get another shot at the blu-ray format.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #35
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Dodged a bullet with this one...had this in my shopping cart many times but never pulled the trigger with it. At least its not an expensive disc....I read on the bluray.com forums that some chick in Germany bought 35 copies...eeeesh.

Also the producer is over there defending the quality of the transfer...poor little fella.

EDIT: Oh man, that thread over there is getting good. Don May's putting an offer on the table to do this blu the right way.

Last edited by Chomp; 02-15-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #36
X-human
I ate my keys

That's interesting that Don May offered their services when we original heard this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spfxted View Post
Hi. I'm the producer/owner of The Deadly Spawn. I moved the rights from Synapse to Elite because I wanted a Blu-Ray release.
Which implies Synapse passed on it. I'm guessing Synapse made an offer Ted didn't like. Elite probably wanted to steal him from Don because of their rivalry and made a much better sounding offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfxted View Post
The quality should be fine. We shot on so many 16mm stocks that it's tough to remove grain and scratches without spending a small fortune.
Which is funny because I can see from the screenshots that they did DNR and EE on the film blemishes. Making them just smeary blemishes.

Hopefully Arrow will take Don up on the offer if Ted doesn't. Even the original scan Synapse did with DVD in mind would be better at its native resolution.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #37
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

I'm pretty pissed that I sold off my DVD already. I've been selling off my DVDs anytime a Blu-ray is announced. I think I'll stop doing that. Congratulation, Elite, you broke me.

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

The Films I've Watched: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Kolpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #38
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolpitz View Post
I'm pretty pissed that I sold off my DVD already. I've been selling off my DVDs anytime a Blu-ray is announced. I think I'll stop doing that. Congratulation, Elite, you broke me.
I never, ever sell my old DVD's off before the Blu-ray comes out for this reason alone. The Blu-ray might be missing something, the film might be cut/edited or digitally manipulated in some odd way, or just plain old have a crappy transfer like this example.

I should have known a long dormant studio's first Blu-ray would be crap. At least I didn't waste any money getting it for free, and I'll even make a few bucks back selling it...so lesson learned.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #39
Bluenoser
Stalker

I had ordered this through Axel, but it was back-ordered. I just cancelled it. Thanks for passing that review along.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #40
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Sucks about the video quality. I already have the excellent Synapse DVD so I was more interested in the new video bonus features. It looks like Arrow's UK DVD will feature the TV interviews with filmmakers, along with an interview with SFX director John Dods that doesn't appear to be available anywhere else. Once reviews of this version come out and confirm whether or not all the TV footage included on the Elite disc is there I'll know which version I want to buy.

Of course I can also wait and see how this Synapse business goes. I'd much rather go in for a Blu from them featuring all of the Elite bonus materials.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #41
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Blu-ray.com review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-De.../28538/#Review
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #42
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Wow. For a second I was mad I found the dvd at a pawn shop a few weeks before the BD was announced. After reading those 2 reviews, I'm happy as hell I got that dvd! Cross this off the list of things to upgrade.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 AM   #43
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Another negative review: http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/rev...ay-review.html

Old 02-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #44
Robert Simandl
Screamy Bopper

After all the comments and reviews on blu-ray.com, I'm not even bothering to open mine. Back to Amazon it goes, and I'm ordering the 8-year-old DVD instead.
Robert Simandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #45
Shawn Francis
Maniac

Looks like Ted wants his movie to look better. He made this post on Blu-Ray Forum: "Announcement #1 We are testing right now with a transfer directly from the negative. We should have test disks within a week or so. Don't ask anything else yet as I'll post when I have more info."
Shawn Francis is offline   Reply With Quote