Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
JGrendel
HackMaster

Paranormal Activity 4

Just caught this on cinema blend.com. it's speaks for itself.

Paranormal Activity 4 Officially Announced

7 Comments published: 2012-01-02 13:19:16 Author: Eric Eisenberg

There's a very good chance that the Paranormal Activity franchise will never die. The most expensive movie in the series only cost $5 million, and all three have made at least $175 million at the global box office. Even if Paranormal Activity 16 makes $10 million at the global box office we will probably see another one. Following the release of Paranormal Activity 3 - which shattered multiple October/fall records - I wrote a feature trying to figure out not if there will be another movie, but what it will be about. Now Paramount Pictures has confirmed my theory as they have confirmed that Paranormal Activity 4 is in the works.

STYD has received a press release from the studio announcing their upcoming slate for 2012 and included in that release is word of yet another Paranormal Activity movie. The release itself announced that Paramount won 2011 with the highest total worldwide box office sales, bringing in $5.17 billion in the last 12 months. Other movies on Paramount's docket for this year include World War Z, G.I. Joe: Retaliation and The Dictator. Paranormal Activity 3 played a major role in Paramount's earnings, totaling $203 million in global box office receipts, making it the most successful of the series.

So once again I pose the question: where does the franchise go from here? In my previous post, I suggested a straight up sequel, following a new family, or even possibly (but not likely) abandoning the found footage format? But where do you think that they should go with Paranormal Activity 4? Leave your thoughts, feelings and ideas in the comments section below.
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

I've had enough of Paranormal Activity, thanks. It's funny, the studio was reluctant to pick up the original film and if Steven Spielberg hadn't gotten involved they never would've distributed it. Now these films are making tons of money so, of course, there will be endless sequels coming out on Halloween every year (like Saw). It was the same deal with the Friday the 13th films. Sure, the films themselves were an embarassment to them but, hey, the money was good. Pathetic.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

I'll pass. The first one was okay, nothing to ride home about, but I haven't seen the 2nd or 3rd one. They looked pretty dumb.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

I threw in the towel at PA II, so boring.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
I threw in the towel at PA II, so boring.
Exactly. For me, the series ran out of gas in the first entry.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

As far as modern franchises go, this one is tied with Final Destination for my fav. I'd much rather see these come out every year than Saw flicks. Of course, FD slipped a lot with part 4 so maybe this will too. I haven't been let down yet with a PA installment, of course that's what I said before FD4, so we'll see what happens.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
Ash28M
HackMaster

This is already one of the best franchises of all time. All three films have been great and as long as they keep the quality top notch I'll welcome as many sequels/prequels as they can dish out.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
dave13
HackMaster

what will PA 4 be about? doors closing. curtains blowing. scary timecodes in the bottom right hand corner. and that's about it, methinks.

more power to those that enjoy them, i suppose.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
aoiookami
Demon Fetishist

Wow, so tired of these.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
rhett

I'm in it for the ride just as long as I can still see them in a packed theater on opening night in October. There's something special about the power that horror movies have on a group audience. The Saw films have brought that, The Ring, Freddy vs. Jason, etc. and since this is the hot franchise right now, I've been pleased to see all three along with screaming horrified audiences for three years now. Would I watch them on video...nah, but the theater sure is fun.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #11
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
There's something special about the power that horror movies have on a group audience. The Saw films have brought that, The Ring, Freddy vs. Jason, etc.
people reacted positively to FvJ? i remember the theater i was in just laughing at it the whole way through. i've made my peace with it over the years, accepting it for what it is, but i might have hated it less if i'd seen it with a crowd that was actually enjoying it...
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #12
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

I've been loving the series so far, the third being the weakest in my opinion, so I'm looking forward to this. But the potential suckage of the next installment is high.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #13
othervoice1
HackMaster

I gotta admit I loved the first two and have not gotten around to seeing the third one yet. From what I understand the third one is more of a prequal when they were young girls- so for the 4th I wouldnt mind seeing a direct sequal to part 2 - I plan on seeing Part 3 after it gets a dvd release here in the near future
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #14
mclay18
Maniac

Paramount has already slated Paranormal Activity 4 for an October 19, 2012 release. The directors of PA3, Joost and Schulman, are in "final talks" to return as co-directors.

That didn't take long.
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
Mok
Family is Forever

I watched this over the weekend. I can't decide if I hate the fuck out of it or kinda like it. It should be called "Rich People Ignore Their Kids".

It sways from charming scenes between two teenagers, to annoying child actors, to boring scares, to boring in general, to lethal scares, to shoddy acting, to "is this a parody?", to alright acting, to heavy tension that I was hoping for. By the end of it, I was kind of hypnotized. It stayed with me. I think I need to re-watch it to formulate a definitive opinion.

Definitely not as good as the other 3, but how could they keep up the same gag for three movies without becoming a little played out?
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote