Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 01-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
vidjunkie
Stalker

Conan The Barbarian US Theatrical (1982)

Hi Everyone,
I do not know if there are many fans here of this great film, but both official recently released versions(FOX & Universal) left a lot of fans very unhappy lol, not only did they mess up on some of the music tracks(missing all the choral parts in key scenes) but we in the US did not even get the US Theatrical version, well I have been working very hard since this title was released fixing all these areas of concern, so now I do have a "fixed" DTS-HD MA 5.1 track complete with all choral parts reinserted and it blends together very smoothly, and I made versions for both the FOX & Universal releases.

and now to my most important project for Conan, I just finished a US Theatrical reconstruction Blu-ray, for the main audio I could not use the DTS-HD MA 5.1 because the ending is just to different, so I did 1 better, I used the ripped digital PCM from my Laserdisc, so I have the original lossless LPCM for the main audio, and 2 custom iso scores, 1 score is made from my rare OOP Varese Sarabande 16 track CD, the other is from the new 2 disc Prometheous CD Set, here is a sample of how it looks and sounds, what do you guys think? are there even any US Theatrical Fans here or do you guys all like the Director's Cut better?

Thanks for reading

http://vimeo.com/33741048

*thanks to Imrahil2001 for the custom BD cover*
I wanted it designed after the US Theatrical non anamorphic DVD.

Last edited by vidjunkie; 01-09-2012 at 06:15 PM.
vidjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Katatonia
Master of Doom

I'd absolutely love to see the original Theatrical version on Blu-ray. I actually prefer it over the extended version in many ways, but I doubt Universal will ever mess with releasing it again in the near future.

Universal should really offer a replacement on their recent Blu-ray release, as they clearly screwed it up. They can fix a minor flaw on Halloween II, but not multiple issues with Conan?!?

The video clip sample looks nice!

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

Love it. I saw Conan when it was originally released in the theaters.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
ronnie21
HackMaster

wow, love the original artwork, thats so how it should be on all older titles. Wish halloween 2 would have had the original artwork like this one...
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
vidjunkie
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
I'd absolutely love to see the original Theatrical version on Blu-ray. I actually prefer it over the extended version in many ways, but I doubt Universal will ever mess with releasing it again in the near future.

The video clip sample looks nice!
Thanks, this is exactly why I did it myself, and this is now my preferred version to watch.

and Thanks to the rest for the kind remarks, here are the actual BD specs:

The video is 1080p with 19.5 avg Mpbs.
The audio is,
1. LPCM 2.0 (Original Theatrical) *sourced from the Theatrical Laserdisc by TLK.
2. DTS-HD MA 2.0 (Isolated 1982 Original Score) *sourced from the rare OOP Varese Sarabande 16 track CD.
3. DTS-HD MA 2.0 (Isolated 2010 Re-recorded Score) *sourced from the new 2 Disc CD Set which is complete score.
(audio is selectable by your remote)

and the BD weighs in at 23.1 GB's.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
ronnie21
HackMaster

to me, dont laugh, is my favourite arnold movie to this day..
Old 01-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
ronnie21
HackMaster

To me, Conan is my fAv, arnold movie to this day...
Old 01-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
Regurgitate
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
to me, dont laugh, is my favourite arnold movie to this day..
Why did you make it so hard to not laugh?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #9
vidjunkie
Stalker

I won't laugh, I love this movie to or I would not have taken so much time to make things better, and the score is just fantastic!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
MacReady
Stalker

Conan is one of my very favorite movies of all time. If I had to choose, Id pick Conan over Terminator I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjunkie View Post
The audio is,
1. LPCM 2.0 (Original Theatrical) *sourced from the Theatrical Laserdisc by TLK.
2. DTS-HD MA 2.0 (Isolated 1982 Original Score) *sourced from the rare OOP Varese Sarabande 16 track CD.
3. DTS-HD MA 2.0 (Isolated 2010 Re-recorded Score) "

Not sure I understand. You turned a 5.1 into a 2.0?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #11
vidjunkie
Stalker

I tried to edit the blu-rays existing DTS-HD MA 5.1 but the ending was just to different, so I cut it altogether from this version, the main audio is only the lossless LPCM ripped digital 2.0 audio from the LD, most I talked to about this was very happy that I ditched the HD 5.1 because most were not real happy with this mix anyways, but I only partially agree with that statement, because I very much like my new "fixed" HD 5.1
Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #12
JGrendel
HackMaster

Sounds really cool
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
vidjunkie
Stalker

I know I posted info on this a while back but since that post we have still been working on this lol, I just keep coming up with ideas and now the above posted info is going to all change, we are going to re do this whole BD, it is now going to be a BD50 and have have extras! all extras from the US DVD is getting ported over, new audio tracks are being added, and possibly a new remastered mono track as well, and last but not least, we are adding Basil's last performance as an extra, it is called The Conan Symphony, plus we have gotten a lot of questions on the color timing, well we were going to leave it the same as the BD because it would have taken way to much time to change, well we figured out a way to finally change the color timing to match the US Theatrical now also, so I am not sure if there are any fans here of the GREAT film but I just wanted to let you guys know that there has been several changes to this project over the past several months, and here are our new color timing screens, and we are approaching the end finally, I can't wait to actually sit down and watch this.

Last edited by vidjunkie; 02-09-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
ronnie21
HackMaster

awesome cover. why couldnt all older movies just use their original artwork..
Old 02-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Oooo nice, those looks great! I definitely want to try to trade for one of those.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote