Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 01-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Grim
HackMaster

If they use the uncut version of Licence to Kill, then this set will be mine. If not, I'll wait till that 3-pack is super cheap.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:20 AM   #17
JGrendel
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
If they use the uncut version of Licence to Kill, then this set will be mine. If not, I'll wait till that 3-pack is super cheap.
Yes Licence To Kill is uncut, cause it's the same version that is already out on blu.
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:21 AM   #18
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrendel View Post
Yes Licence To Kill is uncut, cause it's the same version that is already out on blu.
Sold.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
mlock
Stalker

Wait, the currently available version of Licence to Kill on blu ray is uncut? I just assumed it was the same version that was released as part of the dvd boxsets, which is the same version of the movie I've been seeing since day 1.
Is there a noticeable difference or are we talking about mere frames of film here?

xboxlive: TwitchofDethNrv
mlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #20
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlock View Post
Wait, the currently available version of Licence to Kill on blu ray is uncut? I just assumed it was the same version that was released as part of the dvd boxsets, which is the same version of the movie I've been seeing since day 1.
Is there a noticeable difference or are we talking about mere frames of film here?
All releases of License To Kill are uncut starting with the 2006 Ultimate Edition DVD. If you have that you already have the uncut version. See here:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=3129
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #21
mlock
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
All releases of License To Kill are uncut starting with the 2006 Ultimate Edition DVD. If you have that you already have the uncut version. See here:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=3129
Ah, thanks a bunch for the clarification! Once again, my original feelings re: the Bond 50 blu ray set depend on reviews, specifically the new, additional features.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #22
spawningblue
Deadite

I've already got this pre-ordered! Have been waiting for what seems like forever for them release these all on Blu. There are still a bunch I have to this day never seen. I picked up the complete series on DVD, but then they started to re-release them on Blu so I sold the DVDs with plans to watch them for the first time on Blu. This was probably a big mistake as the wait has been so long!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
JGrendel
HackMaster

This is my number christmas item this year
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #24
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlock View Post
Ah, thanks a bunch for the clarification! Once again, my original feelings re: the Bond 50 blu ray set depend on reviews, specifically the new, additional features.
I'm not sure what special features they could add that would be compelling ($200 compelling). They are already loaded. The 10 BD's that have been released so far look stunning so I'm very excited. The only thing I'm really hoping for is beautiful transfers and the issues with OHMSS to be corrected.

I'm buying it regardless but I'll be interested to see if they change the menus. The current ones are awesome.

Last edited by crikan; 01-19-2012 at 06:56 PM.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #25
dave13
HackMaster

I definitely have some interest in this. I dropped an arm and a leg on the four dvd sets about 5 years ago, so i'm not terribly anxious to spend so much money on these (awesome) films again. However, I've heard all the great things said about the restorations of the early films, and I'd absolutely love to have these in HD. So I'll pay close attention to this set, maybe bide my time a little, and hope to find a decent sale price sometime down the line. I mean, look at what the dvd sets were going for only a year or so after being released. One sticking point, however: Quantum of Solace is obviously going to be receiving an upgrade to coincide with the release of Skyfall. If the edition of QoS in this set is revealed to be the same-old-same-old, it will really sour my opinion. There's nothing worse than an "Ultimate" box set that is clearly NOT.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #26
mlock
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
I'm not sure what special features they could add that would be compelling ($200 compelling). They are already loaded. The 10 BD's that have been released so far look stunning so I'm very excited. The only thing I'm really hoping for is beautiful transfers and the issues with OHMSS to be corrected.

I'm buying it regardless but I'll be interested to see if they change the menus. The current ones are awesome.
Yeah I enjoyed all the features from the previous dvd editions, so the new features will have to be pretty damn good. I also already own a couple of the current blu rays, so all the more reason to wait for the eventual, individual copies of Goldeneye and Spy/Loved Me. Personally was never a fan of OHMSS, but I fully acknowledge it does have a solid fan base. Just can't stand Lazenby. To each their own

Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #27
WesReviews
HackMaster

Yeah, this is definitely a must-buy for me.

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #28
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I dropped an arm and a leg on the four dvd sets about 5 years ago, so i'm not terribly anxious to spend so much money on these (awesome) films again.
Are you region-free yet Dave? At the UK pre-order price you'd be paying less than $6 per film. I'd rather have the region A set. But the $80 difference in price is too huge. If you've been considering the region-free plunge this set seems like the perfect excuse to upgrade.

Everything you've heard about the restorations of the early Connery films is true. Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger look really spectacular. I was truly awe-struck the first time I watched those discs. Here's hoping we get You Only Live Twice, OHMSS, and Diamonds Are Forever in similar quality.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #29
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
Are you region-free yet Dave? At the UK pre-order price you'd be paying less than $6 per film. I'd rather have the region A set. But the $80 difference in price is too huge. If you've been considering the region-free plunge this set seems like the perfect excuse to upgrade.

Everything you've heard about the restorations of the early Connery films is true. Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger look really spectacular. I was truly awe-struck the first time I watched those discs. Here's hoping we get You Only Live Twice, OHMSS, and Diamonds Are Forever in similar quality.
no, not region free, yet. I never went region free with dvds either. i know i should. it would make things a lot simpler. just though of this question right now: are region free blu ray players automatically region free for dvd as well? maybe a stupid question...

i'd say only about 25-30% of my blu ray purchases have been upgrades. its not something i tend to do a lot. so, like i said, i'll probably wait it out, see what kind of prices the set is fetching a few months after release. I'd love to see OHMSS in HD as well, it's always been one of my favorites.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #30
shape22
HackMaster

I'd assume most region-free Blu-ray players are region-free for DVDs as well (my modified Oppo handles both and most others I've read about do too). But you'd definitely be wise to read the fine print.

I understand about not wanting to spend too much on upgrades. I've wrestled with it too. Fortunately I've been able to save a ton of money through Amazon UK. The Alien and Lethal Weapon boxes were both under $40 shipped to the United States. So if you like box sets you can definitely save some money down the line by making the region-free leap.

Tags
blu-ray, collection, james bond