Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-04-2001, 12:46 PM   #1
Donuthole75

Thumbs up Salem's Lot

the DVD version that's out is the unedited version right? I couldn't imagine watching this awesome film with so many scenes missing. This has got to be one of the scariest, most atmospheric, intelligent horror movies ever. The nostalgia factor also runs rampant. There are just too many great things to mention about this movie. Reggie Nalder that played the head vampire was soo eerie and wonderful. The quick manner in which he moved was terrifying especially when he looked up at the boy while he was in his coffin. The kitchen scene is also really freaky. Best and scariest vampire film ever!!! Check out the DVD with a pair of headphones on. Try falling asleep to this movie and then wake up when the boy is scratching at the window or when the mover guy sits up out of his chair saying "looooook at meeee." You won't be able to sleep to easy after that...
Old 09-04-2001, 01:41 PM   #2
Marquis De Sade

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Salems Lot was an exercise in terror, masterfully demonstrating that gore is not needed for an enjoyable horror.

I remember almost browning my underwear when the head vampire pops up in the jail, and that's when you properly get to see him. Aargh!

And as for the little guys clawing at the windows, or when the guy jumps down into the coffin, gulp!!!

Classic movie, and one of the scariest ever!
Old 09-04-2001, 07:37 PM   #3
Yowie
Hologram

Question

I love it too, but I was wondering if it's just my copy, or does the picture on any of you guys' discs also jump up and down a bit during the first lakeside scene with Soul and Bedelia ?. -I suspect it to be a fault that all copies of the movie have.
Yowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 10:36 PM   #4
Trout

Anyone hear anything about a possible remake?

I read the book and I was quite dissapointed. Barlow was far more scary in the TV version.
Old 09-05-2001, 12:11 AM   #5
Andrew

That's blashpemey!!!! READ IT AGAIN! Salem's Lot is one of the best books I've ever read, but the movie sucks ass.
Old 09-05-2001, 12:31 AM   #6
Leatherfacefan

I love both the book and the movie - both great
Old 09-05-2001, 01:45 AM   #7
Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewBBD
That's blashpemey!!!! READ IT AGAIN! Salem's Lot is one of the best books I've ever read, but the movie sucks ass.
I just can't get over vampires that act human. Barlow in the book was sauve, almost friendly and made you enjoy being turned into a vampire, but in the movie he was a monster that actually made you scared of being bitten.
Old 09-05-2001, 02:57 AM   #8
landrvr

Donuthole75,

yes, the DVD contains the full version of the film - which i believe clocks in at 184min
Old 09-05-2001, 07:49 AM   #9
David666

I can remember fondly, if fearfully, watching the original broadcast premiere of Salem's Lot as a young child. I was five, I believe and I was terrifyed beyond belief by the goings on on that tiny TV screen. My mother is a massive horror fan as well, and being such allowed me to see quite a bit that such a young lad shouldn't ought to see. She in fact took me to the cinema to see Dawn of the Dead and the image of the Krishna Zombie attacking the female lead stayed with me ever since... haunting my dreams, just as that little boy tap-tap-tapping on the window in Salem's Lot did... and just as much as that werewolf transformation in The Howling.

Sure it scared the living hell out of me, but it is one of my fondest memories of childhood... curled up in my mother's lap and hiding my eyes in fear as the vampires took over that small New England town and crawling behind her when out of the misty night the dead boy came to visit the bedroom windows of his brother and best friend. Salem's Lot has a warm spot in my heart and always will, but damn that movie is frightning even to this day and really at such a young age, I should not have seen it. And for that matter, nor should I have seen Dawn of the Dead or The Howling.

But, from those terrified moments on, I was hooked on the genre. Completely and utterly hooked.
Old 09-05-2001, 02:57 PM   #10
cjg
Maniac

Ithink i read somewhere someone was thinking of doing a remake hopefully if this ever happens its done by HBO Wouldnt it be great to see a miniseries that would contain the mood langage etc thats in the book instead of these watered down network versions of his books
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:37 AM   #11
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

I was just wondering how bad the shortened VHS version is compared to the 184 min version? I've never seen the flick and can get the shortened version of video for $3, which is a fairly decent price. But, if the flick is chopped and any gore or cool scenes were cut out (especially scenes that show the vampire), I don't even want it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #12
bachmann
Stalker

you can get the dvd for $9.67 get that instead

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=8218
bachmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:07 PM   #13
maybrick
HackMaster

Oh, you can find it even cheaper than that. It's an older WB dvd, so there are plenty of places that I've seen it for sale in the 5.50-6.50 range. It's also not uncommon to find plenty of copies in used bins. There's a bit of gore footage missing from the shorter version, and some minor plot holes are created due to the editing. If I were in your position, I think this would be one of those occasions where I'd soon be kicking myself if I bought Salem's Lot on VHS for $3. I just know if I did that I'd come across a copy of the dvd the next day for only slightly more.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:01 AM   #14
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

Yeah, the problem is I don't have a credit card, so I can't order anything online, that's why I buy so many used videos from Movie Gallery. Then when I finally could use a CC online, I got a bunch of trojans on the ol' puter, so I couldn't even order anyways.

The only place I could order Salem's Lot from on DVD would cost me 19.99 and I don't think I wanna spend that much when it's so cheap at other places. But, it's really no big deal as I don't see the title going OOP anytime soon. I think I'll pass.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

For some reason, I never got around to buying this back when it was available.

But it looks like there are a few extra copies available from WBShop for $14.98. I just grabbed one for myself.

I've been watching them on eBay for a few weeks now, and they mostly sell for $25+.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote