Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 02-14-2012, 03:38 AM   #31
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

Same here. Although Arrow is a bit behind the competition transfer-wise (not counting what appears to be a horrible transfer for Tenebre), I love the packaging and extras. I've got 5 of their blus with another on the way. I'm sure if Demons and Demons 2 aren't totally screwed in the video department, they will be an easy buy as well.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #32
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac666 View Post
Yeah but the Demons and Demons 2 dvd from Anchor Bay are like 10 years old and they look pretty bad on my 52'inch!So i think anything will be better!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
both demons and demons 2 were rereleased on dvd from anchor bay a few years ago with better transfers i think 2007
Yes they were... and both prints are beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x666x View Post
The packaging on Arrow releases tend to be so good that even if the transfers are mediocre, I will be happy and also have a reason to buy the North American versions as well - whenever they get a release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killit View Post
Yeah, the comics and commentaries and cool packaging and hi def sold me. Perhaps not just one but with all I can't resist
Demons is at a price that justifies some people to do that, but the price for Demons 1 doesnīt jutify the buy solely for the package.

Did you also order their shitty release of "Bird" or "Tenebre" just for the package?
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #33
killit
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post

Demons is at a price that justifies some people to do that, but the price for Demons 1 doesnīt jutify the buy solely for the package.

Did you also order their shitty release of "Bird" or "Tenebre" just for the package?
Is english not your native tongue I clearly state multiple reasons why I'm buying the discs. If it's not you might want to watch your language you come off like a troll.
killit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #34
x666x
HackMaster

Quote:

Both Demons were childhood favourites and I haven't watched them in years (sold the 2 pack years ago), so they are different to me than Bird or Tenebre which I have watched more recently and I already own in dvd form. Frankly, I found the BU Blu of Bird to be too grainy. I also read reviews and know I am not alone. I understand that grain is part of the detail, but if the Bird Blu is indicative of a good HD transfer, then clearly not all films benefit from the HD treatment. My opinion.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #35
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Is english not your native tongue I clearly state multiple reasons why I'm buying the discs. If it's not you might want to watch your language you come off like a troll.
For you to call me a Troll itīs because you know what youīre talking about.

I write fast and donīt have time to put up with your shit...

What I meant was...

"Demons 2 is at a price that justifies some people to do that, but the price for Demons 1 doesnīt jutify the buy solely for the package."
Old 02-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #36
killit
Maniac

Quote:
For you to call me a Troll itīs because you know what youīre talking about.

I write fast and donīt have time to put up with your shit...

What I meant was...

"Demons 2 is at a price that justifies some people to do that, but the price for Demons 1 doesnīt jutify the buy solely for the package."
You still make no sense, you need to read what you quoted from me and since you have such little time how about you never quote or respond to me again. Also I have a pretty strong feeling no one cares AT ALL what you think justifies the purchase they make and since you have such little time and all... And in response to your no thank you
Old 02-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #37
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
You still make no sense, you need to read what you quoted from me and since you have such little time how about you never quote or respond to me again. Also I have a pretty strong feeling no one cares AT ALL what you think justifies the purchase they make and since you have such little time and all... And in response to your no thank you
Good English on your part too...

If youīre facing my post as some negative thing about this release, then itīs your problem because I never put down this release.

If nobody cares what I write, then youīre on the same team as probably nobody cares what you write either. If your opinions are valuable and you canīt accept some negative remarks, itīs your problem. You know, in every positive thing, thereīs always a negative side. And in every negative thing, thereīs always a positive side.

Itīs funny to judge other peopleīs English in a thread regarding a movie that was recorded mainly in Italian... and then dubbed fully in Italian and English.

And if Iīm a Troll solely for the fact that English is not my main language, then I would love to see you speak my main language...
Old 02-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #38
killit
Maniac

Quote:
Good English on your part too...

If youīre facing my post as some negative thing about this release, then itīs your problem because I never put down this release.

If nobody cares what I write, then youīre on the same team as probably nobody cares what you write either. If your opinions are valuable and you canīt accept some negative remarks, itīs your problem. You know, in every positive thing, thereīs always a negative side. And in every negative thing, thereīs always a positive side.

Itīs funny to judge other peopleīs English in a thread regarding a movie that was recorded mainly in Italian... and then dubbed fully in Italian and English.

And if Iīm a Troll solely for the fact that English is not my main language, then I would love to see you speak my main language...
Look this is becoming a bitch fest. There is nothing wrong with my English, I'm the occasional victim of iPhone spell check but I'm a writer by profession. I was annoyed you misquoted me and then ridiculed me for buying something for the packaging because a. I listed FOUR reasons why I bought the discs and every single reason is based on ACTUAL SPECS and you're reason is based soley on speculation of a bad transfer.

And b. I think it's rude the way you insinuated that I or x666x buy "shitty" releases just for packaging. Trust me and if I did there would be nothing wrong with that.

I was not trying to insult you. You were trying to insult me and wrongly so. I asked if English was your main language because I didn't want to come down too hard on you if you just simply misunderstood me.
I think you think I'm making fun of you, I was just trying to grant you a possible reason to explain yourself
Old 02-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #39
Dobby
HackMaster

Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #40
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Look this is becoming a bitch fest. There is nothing wrong with my English, I'm the occasional victim of iPhone spell check but I'm a writer by profession. I was annoyed you misquoted me and then ridiculed me for buying something for the packaging because a. I listed FOUR reasons why I bought the discs and every single reason is based on ACTUAL SPECS and you're reason is based soley on speculation of a bad transfer.

And b. I think it's rude the way you insinuated that I or x666x buy "shitty" releases just for packaging. Trust me and if I did there would be nothing wrong with that.

I was not trying to insult you. You were trying to insult me and wrongly so. I asked if English was your main language because I didn't want to come down too hard on you if you just simply misunderstood me.
I think you think I'm making fun of you, I was just trying to grant you a possible reason to explain yourself
Look, if I have to forgive your occasional mistake in English due to the fact youīre using spell check, then you sure can forgive the fact when I say I write fast.

I never misquoted or ridiculed you. Just take a look at my post because itīs only a few pages. I only asked questions or gave straight facts, that In my opinion are valid arguments, nothing more. How can I ridicule someone for buying a DVD/Blu-Ray just for the packaging when I just bought COīs Inferno for 35€? I already have 2 editions of Inferno.

In the remark for "x666x", I simply stated, that for me, given the movie in question and for itīs actual price, itīnot justifiable. And in your case, I just asked if you bought Arrowīs "Bird" or "Tenebre" shitty releases (donīt get me wrong but they are indeed shitty in the A/V department) just for the package. I plan to buy "Bird" or "Tenebre" solely for the extras.

Lets get one thing straight. I never insulted you, before you insulted me. You were the one that called me a "troll" just for the fact that English was not my main language, and thatīs a very negative thing to others If youīre a writer by profession. You even assumed that nobody read my posts, and thatīs fine, nobody has to read them.

No, English is not my main language, Portuguese is. Then I speak and write Spanish, French English, Italian and some German. Speaking is easy than writing, but other than German, I can say that my writing is good in the other languages.

Last edited by Demoni; 02-16-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #41
killit
Maniac

Anyone interested can read all my unedited posts and see what I actually said; it speaks for itself. I'm sorry you think I'm saying things I'm not. That's really all I can say. I'd like to end this so, have a nice life and we probably should just agree to disagree.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #42
Stige
HackMaster

on to other subjects

Demons 1 &2 on BR is a good thing. I am maybe in the minority but most all of ARROWS blurays have been very attractive both in packaging AND image. So I will be buying both. I have the tenebrae release everyone is complaining about and it wasn't that bad.

Buying into the hype of bad arrow transfers I ordered the Inferno and City of the Living Dead BU, and I was disappointed , not that there was anything wrong with them, but the image didn't blow me away like I was hoping it would BU's was slightly sharper, ok, I noticed crows feet here and there, both otherwise is was just me thinking "whatever". Maybe my eyesight isn't perfect.

Then taking into account that ARROW almost always has new extra's and a fun packaging they win out in my book,
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #43
sinister
Stalker

Quote:
Yes, subs on the french release of Tenebrae are forced on the English and Italian track but they can be easily disabled on a computer and on certain players... my PC and my Denon can disable them, while my PS3 canīt.
I got the French Tenebrae Blu-ray and quality is so much better than the Arrow release, it's just what I'd hoped for. Amazon.fr wouldn't ship it to my address for some reason, but I got it from www.fnac.com

Unfortunately my player (Oppo) didn't allow me to disable the French sub-titles while the English audio track was selected so I've been hacking about with the files from the original disc and my Blu-ray writer today trying to create a version that allows the sub-titles to be disabled.

Took a while but have got it working OK now, so if anyone else wants to do the same thing here's what to do:

Rip the complete original BD to your hard drive with makemkv ( www.makemkv.com ), that gives you a fully decrypted version to play with.

Turns out the UOP (User Operation Prohibted) flags are set individually for each video transport stream (m2ts) file in the associated .mpls playlist file (in the PLAYLIST folder inside the BDMV folder).

For the Tenebrae disc the main video file is 00000.m2ts and the associated playlist file is 00000.mpls (from the PLAYLIST folder) so that's the file you need to edit.

A good hex editor is HxD ( http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/ ) so load the 00000.mpls file into that for editing. The UOP flag table that determines which player functions are disabled is at offset 0x30 to 0x34 in the .mpls file, so basically just zero those 5 bytes and it allows you to use any player function as normal, so disabling sub-titles during the movie is no problem.

In the original 00000.mpls file they're set to 00 00 05 3f 40 , so edit them to make sure they're set to 00 00 00 00 00 and then save the file.

Now write the complete disc structure back to a BD-R. I used imgburn ( www.imgburn.com ) and wrote the disc as a BD-ROM with UDF 2.50 file system, but I'm not sure if all players will recognise that as a proper BD movie disc as the Oppo is quite good at recognising anything like AVCHD discs with some other players have trouble with.

The original disc is a dual layer 50GB format (about 33GB used) and is region free, so you'll need a dual layer blank BD-R to write the complete movie back at the same quality.

Anyways, hope this helps someone and that it's OK to post such info. here.

Last edited by sinister; 02-17-2012 at 08:29 PM.
sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #44
f.ramses
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister View Post
Took a while but have got it working OK now, so if anyone else wants to do the same thing here's what to do:...
That's awesome! I'm going to give this a try when I have some time. I actually made my unsubbed disc a little differently (rip, re-mux with only the audio I want and no subs, and re-burn) but your way is a lot more elegant because you wind up with the same disc, only with full sub and audio control rather than just a disc with the movie and the audio you want on it and nothing else. Thanks a lot for sharing!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #45
Steel76
Maniac

Sorry folks, but the Demons BD:s will be region B locked.
Got the news from the Cult-Labs forum.