Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 02-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #61
jscott
Guided By Voices

I'm good with my Roan Laserdisc of Demons and AB DVD of Demons 2 till a domestic Blu comes out. Already have a region free DVD player, a DVD Recorder, and a Blu Ray player, I'm putting my foot down to another 5" disc reading machine in my rig. Not that anyone else shouldn't go for it, but I'm just sick of having to keep up with all the BS, considering a lot of my foreign DVD's finally got domestic releases, so I'm sure the BD's will too eventually.
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #62
Cannibal Chris
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Wait a minute, so if I'm understanding this right, Arrow is going to:

1) Region-lock ALL their releases starting With Demons? (and reissue priors as Region B?)
2) Abandon specialty packaging in favor of standard cases??

Boy, is this one of biggest head-scratchers or what!? Seriously, what the fuck? A someone said above, don't they want to make money? Synapse probably had something to do with this. They probably made a big stink over Arrow coming out with the same movies before theirs. Well, there goes two of my most anticipated Blu's of the year. Anchor Bay, are ya up to some brown nosing?
From what I understand the specialty packaging is limited, they press a certain number and once they sale all the copies that's it. The disc then gets reissued in a normal snapper case with two cover options.

I'm assuming this is to save money, though it certainly makes the older releases more collectible.

Can anyone confirm that all future releases will be locked? I still plan on buying them as I want to complete the collection, just means I'll have to plan on buying a regionless player sooner.
Cannibal Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #63
hots4
Stalker

no this is a new thing, all the old arrow blu's were released with the special packaging as a norm, they have not been released with snapper cases, so this must be a money saving thing (or trying to get people to buy them straight away).
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #64
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

The other day I fired off an email to Anchor Bay just out of frustration due to the titles that they are sitting on. I never expected a response. I was just pissed off and needed to vent. Suprisingly, they responded. Here is my email followed by Anchor Bay's response:

"To whom it may concern, this email is in regards to the vast horror library that is currently in your posession which have yet to see the light of day on blu-ray. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to myself and the countless number of horror fans alike who know of numerous classic horror films that are waiting for blu-ray releases. We see films like "Super Hybrid" and "Metal Shifters" getting the royal blu-ray treament that, let's be honest, are laughably bad while you continue to sit on numerous classics like "Re-Animator", "Phantasm", "Demons", "Demons 2", "Cemetery Man", "Halloween 4", "Halloween 5", "Silent Night, Deadly Night" and countless others. You cannot tell me that titles like "Super Hybrid" and "Metal Shifters" would bring you more money than the unreleased titles I've listed above, because they won't. I don't know who is buying that crap. You're sitting on a gold mine of horror classics and do nothing with them. During the infancy of DVD, Anchor Bay were basically heroes to fans like myself who eagerly awaited every release from a company who went out and acquired films that the fans wanted to see and it breaks my heart to see that you've become nothing more than a dime a dozen company releasing direct to video dreck. As much as you're trying to go "legit" with your selling out to Starz, you'll always be a "cult" distributor. I think it's time to give back to the fans who have made your company what it has become and why you are still in business today."

"Michael,
Thank you for your feedback and support over the years. There are many titles that we have released on DVD that we no longer have the rights to and therefore we cannot release them on Blu-ray, like Silent Night, Deadly Night, for example. It is important to note that many movies filmed today are filmed in high definition and therefore, are Blu-ray ready. This is not the case for older films. We are fans of the older, classic films and we want to make sure that when we decide to put them out on Blu-ray that the quality of the film is perfect. With that being said it takes much longer to create a high definition master of an older film and bring it to the quality that fans like yourself, deserve. We have a few older titles that we are working on Blu-ray releases for, however, I am not allowed to comment on them at this time. I assure you that we have some stuff in the works but it takes longer to bring them to the marketplace and I think that you will be happy with what we are doing."

I'm not going to lie, his answer makes complete sense, but it still drives me batshit watching those in region B land get all the titles I'm waiting for. As far as the titles he said they have lined up, they are most likely just Halloween 4 & 5 which Anchor Bay has already acknowledged they are working on.

Last edited by Mikey Horror; 02-27-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Mikey Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #65
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

I can imagine some twentysomething, wet-behind-the-ears types running the show at "the new Anchor Bay" hiring even younger people to do "market research" to determine what the studio should or shouldn't release on Blu-ray. They probably go to high school campuses in and around where their offices are located (Beverly Hills!) and ask these kids what kinds of movies they watch. Typical response: "Uh, when I'm not smoking weed or fucking around, I like to watch those awesome two-headed shark movies on SyFy. Oh, and yeah, Twilight is pretty awesome too!". The average age in those executive board rooms at AB is probably around 28, people who were still too young to even remember Buffy airing on Fox in the mid-90's. You can't really blame them for being clueless but you can blame whoever sold the studio out to the corporate robots who run it like they would run a bank or big box megastore. Speaking of big box stores, a recent rip to a new Best Buy in my area was the most depressing experience I've had to date. Half-empty shelves. The other half, about 20 copies of Green Hornet, scattered bargain releases and a shitload of overpriced 3D Blu-rays of movies I wouldn't watch for free, let alone pay $40 for. One thing was clear, though. You can easily find copies of crappy Anchor Bay Blu's of movies like Howling Reborn and Megalomaniac vs. 100-foot Anaconda vs. Chupacabra at BB, no problem.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #66
JGrendel
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
I can imagine some twentysomething, wet-behind-the-ears types running the show at "the new Anchor Bay" hiring even younger people to do "market research" to determine what the studio should or shouldn't release on Blu-ray. They probably go to high school campuses in and around where their offices are located (Beverly Hills!) and ask these kids what kinds of movies they watch. Typical response: "Uh, when I'm not smoking weed or fucking around, I like to watch those awesome two-headed shark movies on SyFy. Oh, and yeah, Twilight is pretty awesome too!". The average age in those executive board rooms at AB is probably around 28, people who were still too young to even remember Buffy airing on Fox in the mid-90's. You can't really blame them for being clueless but you can blame whoever sold the studio out to the corporate robots who run it like they would run a bank or big box megastore. Speaking of big box stores, a recent rip to a new Best Buy in my area was the most depressing experience I've had to date. Half-empty shelves. The other half, about 20 copies of Green Hornet, scattered bargain releases and a shitload of overpriced 3D Blu-rays of movies I wouldn't watch for free, let alone pay $40 for. One thing was clear, though. You can easily find copies of crappy Anchor Bay Blu's of movies like Howling Reborn and Megalomaniac vs. 100-foot Anaconda vs. Chupacabra at BB, no problem.
That's just sad.... I want my Anchor Bay back damn it!!!!!
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #67
Demoni
HackMaster

Arrow Limited Edition Steelbook packaging (no posters or comic due to space constraints, only booklets):

Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #68
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
Arrow Limited Edition Steelbook packaging (no posters or comic due to space constraints, only booklets):
I don't understand why they can't just package the comic outside of the Steelbook package. The exterior dimensions of the two types aren't all that dissimilar.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #69
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Yeah, code free blu-ray players will become easier and more affordable to get whereas this release will only go up in price in the future so I'm grabbing this one.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #70
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
I don't understand why they can't just package the comic outside of the Steelbook package. The exterior dimensions of the two types aren't all that dissimilar.
That issue is addressed on their forum as I just show them an example with some photos that at least the posters fit without any problem inside the steelbook.

I also pitch the idea of having all the the promotional stuff on a digipack (like their release of battle royale), and to stuff that digipack and the steelbook inside a cardboard sleeve (like the one of battle royalle).

Just waiting for the answer...
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #71
maniac666
Stalker

I'm too lazy to check all the pages of this thread,but will this release be all region?Like The Beyond,and The Funhouse.Thx.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #72
maniac666
Stalker

Just read that is gonna be region b!!Fuck!!I hope Anchor Bay or Blue Underground will be releasing it sometimes!!What's the point of locking a blu ray?There loosing sales,no?!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #73
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac666 View Post
Just read that is gonna be region b!!Fuck!!I hope Anchor Bay or Blue Underground will be releasing it sometimes!!What's the point of locking a blu ray?There loosing sales,no?!
Because whoever holds the rights to Demons in the US pitched a fit and forced Arrow to lock it even though I guarantee said rights holders will never release it in the US. Still makes no fucking sense. "We're not going to release it in the US so neither can you!". Christ I can't wait to get my code free player so I can be done with all this corporate bullshit.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #74
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
That issue is addressed on their forum as I just show them an example with some photos that at least the posters fit without any problem inside the steelbook.

I also pitch the idea of having all the the promotional stuff on a digipack (like their release of battle royale), and to stuff that digipack and the steelbook inside a cardboard sleeve (like the one of battle royalle).

Just waiting for the answer...
Yea, the whole space constraint is a crock of shit. I saw your photos over on the Cult Labs forum and there's no issue with space. If the comic happens to be thick (which I doubt it) they could package it outside the package.

It doesn't surprise me that Arrow hasn't responded to any of our posts over there. It is incredibly frustrating though.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #75
Zollman
Victim

All that was Anchor Bay is now Blue Underground.
Zollman is offline   Reply With Quote