Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Halloween time - stores carrying horror dvds

Department stores are starting their Halloween promotional time. Been to Kmart and Walmart and was disappointed, as usual, in their Halloween discs. Kmart had the typical Anchor Bay and Image DVDs, all at $5. A great deal, but it's the same stuff they put out last year, and the year before... However, Kmart has some great Millcreek sets with the typical PD and Crown titles. They're a steal at $5 if you don't have any.

Walmart has various discs, most are the same as years passed, but I did notice some Tales from the Crypt season sets for $10. I picked up season 4 as I needed it. They finally got some Shout!/Scream Factory dvds, like Fog, Halloween 2, Day of the Dead, etc... but no BDs, as least the Walmart I went to. Actually the WM I went to had no Halloween related blu-rays which was disappointing. Anyone else see any other department stores that had a decent selection?

Side note, WM has ISOYG 2 BD for $15/ DVD for $10 and the Halloween 35 BD for $20 for those interested. No V/H/S2 though.

Last edited by rxfiend; 09-24-2013 at 04:22 PM.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfiend View Post
They finally got some Shout!/Scream Factory dvds, like Fog, Halloween 2, Day of the Dead, etc... but no BDs, as least the Walmart I went to.
Scream Factory actually addressed this on their Facebook page last Friday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream Factory
Walmart in select stores has decided to carry DVDs (only, not Blus) of Day of the Dead, The Fog and Halloween II as a part of their Halloween promotion.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Zillamon51
Maniac

Overall, I'm very disappointed with Wal-mart's movie selection of late. They've been carrying fewer and fewer Blu-rays and more cheap DVDs. Trending in the wrong direction for me.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
Overall, I'm very disappointed with Wal-mart's movie selection of late. They've been carrying fewer and fewer Blu-rays and more cheap DVDs. Trending in the wrong direction for me.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has noticed this. Also, as far as Halloween DVDs go I think they offered the same batch of discs for like 4 years in a row.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
HoldenMcNeil
Stalker

Has anyone been to Best Buy? I ask because last year they had some good blu-rays including Halloween 4 and 5 for $10 each. My Wal-Mart too only had dvds, they didn't even have any of the new Halloween blu-rays. Meijer too was also only carrying the Scream Factory dvds.

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

37!!!

You Mean the Movie Lied!?
HoldenMcNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I was in Best Buy yesterday and there were no Halloween sales yet. They usually wait until the final two weeks of October before they start the horror movie deals.

I was in Sam's Club yesterday too and they had a section of horror DVDs for under $5. Total impulse buy, but I ended up getting Roseanne: Tricks & Treats, which is a collection of all the Halloween episodes. Not a fan of the show, but their Halloween episodes were always fun.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenMcNeil View Post
Has anyone been to Best Buy? I ask because last year they had some good blu-rays including Halloween 4 and 5 for $10 each.
My Best Buy store barely even has any Blu-ray or DVD section these days. It's literally just a couple of aisles now, and there's not even any horror section anymore...everything is just lumped together. The selection is truly pitiful.

Unless I specifically know what I'm going there to buy now, I've pretty much written off Best Buy. I'd truly be surprised if they had any Halloween related selections at this store this year.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
My Best Buy store barely even has any Blu-ray or DVD section these days. It's literally just a couple of aisles now, and there's not even any horror section anymore...everything is just lumped together. The selection is truly pitiful.

Unless I specifically know what I'm going there to buy now, I've pretty much written off Best Buy. I'd truly be surprised if they had any Halloween related selections at this store this year.
Ya I am starting to notice Worst Buy slowly phasing out media.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Ya I am starting to notice Worst Buy slowly phasing out media.
They are. The CD selection is even worse... that's like a half an aisle here now. I think even Wal-Mart has a bigger selection than Best Buy.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
crikan
HackMaster

For years, I went to Best Buy every Wednesday hunting for Blu-rays and DVDs. I've been maybe 3 times in the past 12 months and its sad what has happened. It still has 6 aisles but the DVDs and Blu-rays are no longer separated and it all looks sloppy. Its about as appealing as shopping at a thrift store.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Yeah Best Buy truly is terrible when trying to buy movies in general...
They hardly get any new releases in the day of either, the horror section at the one near my house used to be huge, they carried even some obscure titles. Even the Sleepaway Camp Box Set at one point when I was younger. Now it's all lumped together with other movies.

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Pissed walmart didn't have V/H/S/2

Picked up I Spit 2 and Bloody Homecoming instead.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

I seen that Bloody Homecoming and almost grabbed it but I have not heard anything of it. Any good?
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfiend View Post
I seen that Bloody Homecoming and almost grabbed it but I have not heard anything of it. Any good?
The owner of Hysteria Lives praised it. Looking forward to it.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #15
buck135
The Duke of New York

I picked the the Dark Knight Trilogy at Best Buy today and had to look for several minutes before I even found the horror section. I just picked up the Friday the 13th boxset there a couple of weeks ago and now the entire section is the size of an endcap! Needless to say, they didn't have Halloween as I had hoped.