Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 11-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
horrorlover
Stalker

Black Christmas Blu Ray audio

Just wanted to ask a question. I've read 3 different reviews of the blu ray of Black Christmas that say the audio is out of sync with the video for part of the movie. Now I've also read other reviews that don't mention this. Just thought I'd ask those here that might know if this is indeed a problem with the blu ray or if these reviewers are mistaken. I can't imagine they are just making this up that there is an audio problem, but then I also wonder why some other reviews don't mention this at all. Anyway just wanted to ask if anyone can clear this up for me.
Thanks
Old 11-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
BlackAndBlu81
Stalker

I have the Blu-Ray and I never noticed anything. Ill watch it in the morning and see If I do since you mentioned it.
BlackAndBlu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Reverenddave
Maniac

DVD Talk is the only place I've seen that mentions it:

Quote:
The nastiest hiccup is that the audio falls out of sync several times. The longest stretch starts when Mrs. Mac is ranting to the mirror about that damned cat, and it's a fraction of a second off for several scenes straight. Toggling back and forth between the 5.1 track and the original mono, only the remix seems to be out of sync here. However, when Jess fusses to Peter about wanting to have "a rational, adult conversation", the lines don't even come close to matching the lip movements in both tracks. I can only assume that's from some really lousy ADR work. Doing a bit of back and forth comparisons, the mono track as a whole seems to sound alright, although it's noticeably more shrill than the remix.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35364...hristmas-1974/
I've never noticed it. Probably one of those things you'll only see if you're looking for it. The disc is only $10 at Amazon. And I'm surprised it's been released on Blu-Ray at all. So IMO it's not worth getting upset over.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:25 AM   #4
horrorlover
Stalker

I got this disc and watched it and I don't know what the people who write reviews saying the audio is out of synch are talking about. I can't believe they just made it up, maybe it was an earlier pressing or something. But the audio is in synch on the version I saw.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
Matt89
HackMaster

Hmmm...yeah actually I notice it. It's ever so slightly out of sync. On both tracks, actually. For those of you who didn't notice it, when did you buy the blu-ray? I picked mine up a year ago. (Trying to figure out if this was indeed a problem only with earlier pressings). I have the Canadian edition from Anchor Bay.

It's out of sync in some scenes, and others it's not. It's almost unnoticeable though. If I sit back from my TV about 6 feet, I actually can't notice it.

~Matt
Old 12-15-2009, 05:35 AM   #6
eric_angelus
Testacular

I did not notice this issue, but I watched it a year ago (almost)...next viewing planned for christmas eve. I usually do notice stuff like this right away.
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
ekent
The Lord's Arm of Justice

Location: North California, South Alabam, and little towns all around this land
See if your player has an audio delay funtion. I have to use mine from time to time.
ekent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

My copy seems to be out of sync too (Critical Mass). And yeah, it's almost unnoticeable.
I hardly noticed problems when I switched from mono to the 5.1 mix though.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
coldheart
Screamy Bopper

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
My copy seems to be out of sync too (Critical Mass). And yeah, it's almost unnoticeable.
I hardly noticed problems when I switched from mono to the 5.1 mix though.
I'm watching it right now and its out of sync on both tracks.Seems to me more on the 5.1 track.I'm on a PS3.I just found on my receiver the a/v sync and seems to work pretty good.I bought mine within the last two months from amazon.
coldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:40 AM   #10
eric_angelus
Testacular

I did notice it when I watched it last night...very slight and only once or twice.
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
Ash28M
HackMaster

While I haven't noticed any audio sync problems. After watching it again last week I just realized how different the 5.1 track is to the Mono. On 5.1 you could barely make out the haunting sound of the ticking click; you also can't here the officers talk about waiting for forensics before they check the attic and basement. Now that's a key piece of dialogue to leave out. I may never listen to that 5.1 track again. Anyone else notice how different the two tracks were?
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
While I haven't noticed any audio sync problems. After watching it again last week I just realized how different the 5.1 track is to the Mono. On 5.1 you could barely make out the haunting sound of the ticking click; you also can't here the officers talk about waiting for forensics before they check the attic and basement. Now that's a key piece of dialogue to leave out. I may never listen to that 5.1 track again. Anyone else notice how different the two tracks were?
Yes. There are some serious volume balance issues with the 5.1 track. It's also very noticeable when Claire hears the cat noises coming from the closet. The 5.1 track properly localizes the sound. But it's much quieter than it is in the mono track--maybe quiet enough to go unnoticed if your surround receiver is set at a relatively low volume.

I've never noticed audio synch issues. But then again, a steady diet of European films has made me pretty much immune to minor disconnects of that sort.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
Matt89
HackMaster

There's added sound effects and music cues all over the place on the 5.1 track (especially Barb's death scene). It's horrible, I never listen to the 5.1 track because of this.

~Matt
Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
SpaceAce
Stalker

Do you guys feel like the video quality is worth a blu upgrade? I have the critical mass DVD and am happy with it, but maybe I would feel differently if I saw the blu quality. I have seen a few screen grabs, but overall for something I watch every christmas, is it a big step up in video quality or would I be better spending the money on some other movie? Thanks!
SpaceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAce View Post
Do you guys feel like the video quality is worth a blu upgrade? I have the critical mass DVD and am happy with it, but maybe I would feel differently if I saw the blu quality. I have seen a few screen grabs, but overall for something I watch every christmas, is it a big step up in video quality or would I be better spending the money on some other movie? Thanks!
The film is never going to look amazing but I have 3 versions of it on DVD plus the blu-ray and I do notice an improvement in the overall definition. I would say it's worth it.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote