Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #46
Steel76
Maniac

It was the same when VHS began to be phased out.
I worked at a local video store, and even though you could get a DVD player for between $40-50, some people was pissed off and didnīt wanna upgrade. But a couple of months later, VHS was dead, no more movies came out. But those same costumers that complained about DVD, returned to rent some discs instead. And they also told me they wished they had gone DVD earlier, when they noticed the upgrade in quality.

Itīs the same thing now. Standalone DVD players are rare and hard to find in stores now, at least here in Sweden. Since the BD players have become so dirtcheap, that ANYONE can afford one, and they also play DVDīs, there are no more use for DVD only players. And when peoples DVD players breakdown, they are likely to bring home a BD player instead, as it plays both formats.

DVD ainīt gonna last forever. It wonīt go away today, but the writing is on the wall, as some labels are going more and more BD only.

And also, just because you upgrade to BD, your DVD collection wonīt explode. They will still be there and look pretty damn good upscaled in the new player.
Best of both worlds

The only reason I can think of, not going Blu-Ray, is if you are still stuck with an old CRT.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #47
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
The only reason I can think of, not going Blu-Ray, is if you are still stuck with an old CRT.
Yep, pretty much. You can get a decent HDTV and Blu-ray player for peanuts these days.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #48
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
It was the same when VHS began to be phased out.
I worked at a local video store, and even though you could get a DVD player for between $40-50, some people was pissed off and didnīt wanna upgrade. But a couple of months later, VHS was dead, no more movies came out. But those same costumers that complained about DVD, returned to rent some discs instead. And they also told me they wished they had gone DVD earlier, when they noticed the upgrade in quality.

Itīs the same thing now. Standalone DVD players are rare and hard to find in stores now, at least here in Sweden. Since the BD players have become so dirtcheap, that ANYONE can afford one, and they also play DVDīs, there are no more use for DVD only players. And when peoples DVD players breakdown, they are likely to bring home a BD player instead, as it plays both formats.

DVD ainīt gonna last forever. It wonīt go away today, but the writing is on the wall, as some labels are going more and more BD only.

And also, just because you upgrade to BD, your DVD collection wonīt explode. They will still be there and look pretty damn good upscaled in the new player.
Best of both worlds

I totally agree with this. I purchased my first DVD player in January, 1998, when DVDs were only out a few months prior to that, and I paid $500.00 for it. Now that I have had a Blu-Ray player and HD 3D TV for 2 years now, I only purchase DVD, if it's not available on Blu-Ray, and I'm getting excited for the Crystal Lake Memories Documentary. Glad they made the decision to only have it available on Blu-Ray. I noticed that The Fog Blu-Ray from Scream Factory is Blu-Ray only. I'm supporting Scream Factory so much, that they are putting out some of the movies I loved when I was younger on Blu-Ray, with brand new special features and interviews, I'm more than happy to continue purchasing them in the future.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote