Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 05-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Exclamation The Exorcist 40th Anniversary Edition with new digital print!

A double-dip of The Exorcist is on thew way!:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=199919

http://captainhowdy.com/2012/05/frie...digital-print/
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
Drinkinstein
Stalker

I have a really hard time seeing this top the digibook release already released, it's pretty fantastic! What the hell else could they add?
Drinkinstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
fceurich39
HackMaster

nope no double dip on this one but Texas Chainsaw Massacre 40th anniversary Blu-ray this year maybe????
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
X-human
I ate my keys

I worry that this could have the tinkered pastel effect Friedkin has been aching to do since releasing The French Connection. But he says in the interview that this looks exactly like it did through the viewfinder including the color so that's interesting. I wonder why he did a 180 on that?

I'm kinda glad I never got around to picking up the digibook though. It seems more and more like studios do a Digibook release just to drum up cash for a real transfer.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:45 AM   #5
Fistfuck
Helloooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
I worry that this could have the tinkered pastel effect Friedkin has been aching to do since releasing The French Connection. But he says in the interview that this looks exactly like it did through the viewfinder including the color so that's interesting. I wonder why he did a 180 on that?
Friedkin has actually changed his tune about the timing he did on the French Connection. Whether he came to the conclusion himself or listened to the audience, he created a new transfer that removed the pastel effect for a Best Buy-exclusive BD.

I, for one, was not impressed with the Exorcist transfer. Other than the Iraq stuff, I didn't see a huge leap in resolution (a common issue with darker, interior scenes). I also felt the highlights were crushed in certain scenes, the exorcism in particular.

-Paff
Fistfuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #6
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Not to go off topic, but I was skimming through his twitter feed, and he mentions that Sorcerer is under discussion for Blu-ray. Now THAT'S exciting to me. Not to say the Exorcist news isn't, but the old DVD of Sorcerer is pretty lousy.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
othervoice1
HackMaster

I never did pick up the Exorcist on blu yet - if this new one is better and it contains both cuts of the film then Ill probably have to pick it up
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Stige
HackMaster

I thought the blu ray of exorcist looked great, and had some interesting new features. Would have to be a lot more to make me buy again
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

So, it took Friedkin six months to "make" this new print? That sounds strange by that revelation alone.

I though the Exorcist Blu-ray from 2010 looked fantastic, so this will have to be a big improvement to get me excited.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
tropical marsh
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg_Shen View Post
Not to go off topic, but I was skimming through his twitter feed, and he mentions that Sorcerer is under discussion for Blu-ray. Now THAT'S exciting to me. Not to say the Exorcist news isn't, but the old DVD of Sorcerer is pretty lousy.
That would be awesome (re: Sorcerer), but I read some other article that basically said the rights were a giant clusterfuck. Paramount and Universal both claim that they don't have the rights, and Friedkin is frustrated as shit. The article is linked over at blu-ray.com...

Edit: Here's the link:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118053835%22
Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #11
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical marsh View Post
That would be awesome (re: Sorcerer), but I read some other article that basically said the rights were a giant clusterfuck. Paramount and Universal both claim that they don't have the rights, and Friedkin is frustrated as shit. The article is linked over at blu-ray.com...

Edit: Here's the link:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118053835%22
Thanks. That's all too bad. Hopefully it gets worked out.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #12
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

I will wait until more information comes out on what extras will be on the 40th Anniversary. I have the 2010 Blu-Ray copy, and I only double dip if it's worthwhile, and it will be 2013 before it is released, according the link to the second article.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

Bill Blatty posted some news about future projects and a couple of titbits regarding the new Exorcist BD.

"A smattering of news: The Exorcist play had a most successful (at least in terms of sellout audiences for six weeks) and will now move to London; Tor/Forge is republishing The Ninth Configuration as a trade paperback and will be offering my entire backlog of work in digital form, which pleases me since I feel that my comic novels are probably my best. Oh, well, at least I actually enjoyed writing them; and next year, to celebrate the 40th anniversary of The Exorcist film Warner Brothers will put out a new high def Blu-ray with lots of new features, including a 40-minutes doc featuring a revisiting the tiny guest house in which I wrote the novel and reminiscing about it, plus some never-before-seen footage of an interview about the 1949 case of possession with Fr. Eugene Gallegher, the Jesuit priest in whose class at Georgetown U. I first heard about it; and, finally, I'm thinking of a plan for a new book for readers who, like you, are searching, and have -- at least for now -- abandoned a terror novel of which I've completed only about 70 pages. It's what they call "an entertainment," whereas the faith book is an apostolic work."

- William Peter Blatty, 2012

Courtesy of theninthconfiguration.com
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 AM   #14
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

I'm very happy with the digibook (which I got autographed by Eileen Dietz), so no double-dip for me.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:36 AM   #15
Jack Grendel
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviniFan View Post
I'm very happy with the digibook (which I got autographed by Eileen Dietz), so no double-dip for me.
Yeah I got mine autographed by Linda Blair so no double dip for me either.

It's more of an obsession really...
http://jgrendel.filmaf.com/owned?rc=1
Jack Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exorcist