Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 03-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
DanceEnergy24
Stalker

Slumber Party Massacre Collection EDITED COMMENTARIES!

I'm not sure if anyone has posted about this yet but I just found out that Shout! Factory's Slumber Party Massacre Collection may not be as great as we thought. Apparently, there were some original pressings that featured Juliette Cummins (Sheila) as part of the commentary track for part 2 and a crew member as part of the commentary track for part 3. They had to be edited out for "legal issues" that I can't find anything else about. The crazy thing is that some of unedited commentaries accidentally got released. You can tell it's edited if within the first minute they don't introduce Cummins. Check your discs! Mine's the EDITED one! I'm not sure if ordering directly from Shout! Factory made any difference as to which one you got. Also, I read that any future releases will be edited so I wouldn't suggest buying from their website at this point in hopes of getting them unedited.
DanceEnergy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Yeah, it's been discussed at length in this thread.

I have the "Unedited" set, which I bought directly from Shout soon after the release. From what I've heard elsewhere they're only selling the Edited sets through their website now. The Unedited sets were strictly from the 1st pressing, and weren't even supposed to get out to the public.

Katatonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
DanceEnergy24
Stalker

Oops, sorry. I didn't realize it had already been discussed. Thanks for posting the link.
DanceEnergy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceEnergy24 View Post
Oops, sorry. I didn't realize it had already been discussed. Thanks for posting the link.
No problem. The discussion is really quite hidden in the middle of that thread, and difficult to find. I had to search a few minutes before I could even find it again!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

I actually purchased my copy from Vintage Stock, and it was the Unedited copy. Not really anything you are missing from the edited commentary.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
dave13
HackMaster

I have the edited copy myself, and while i was pretty upset at first, the commentaries are still pretty solid, so i doubt we're missing too much. its also funny to hear a phantom person occasionally laughing along with something someone else said, or throwing in a "yeah" or other super-quick word that wasn't edited out.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:11 AM   #7
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

I found a copy of the collection at a used movie store and decided to pick it up. To my surprise, it was an unedited version that featured Juliette Cummins in the audio commentary for Part II. Since the first is being released on Blu and the sequels are going to be considered for high-def releases based on how well that sells, I figured this version of the commentary would disappear forever and I'd have no chance of finding it 4 years after the set came out. I guess I lucked out!
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post
I found a copy of the collection at a used movie store and decided to pick it up. To my surprise, it was an unedited version that featured Juliette Cummins in the audio commentary for Part II. Since the first is being released on Blu and the sequels are going to be considered for high-def releases based on how well that sells, I figured this version of the commentary would disappear forever and I'd have no chance of finding it 4 years after the set came out. I guess I lucked out!
You probably did luck out by finding it!

I'm positive the Blu-ray will still have the "edited" commentary, so I'm likely to never part with my DVD set! I can't really see Shout accidentally releasing it again with the unedited commentaries.

I just hope people do buy the Blu-ray right away...if they really want to see the sequels released also. Everybody should buy it straight away!

Old 02-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
MisterTwister
HackMaster

The commentary for the first film was never edited so it will be just fine on the hi-def release.

2 & 3 were edited, though and IMO 2 suffers from the edits. 3's commentary is just fine and is fricking hilarious IMO.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
The commentary for the first film was never edited so it will be just fine on the hi-def release.

2 & 3 were edited, though and IMO 2 suffers from the edits. 3's commentary is just fine and is fricking hilarious IMO.
That's true. I was thinking it was all of the commentaries in the set, but you are correct...it is just the commentaries on the sequels.

But if they ever do get around to releasing the sequels on Blu-ray, I'm sure the unedited commentaries won't make it. They were never even meant to get out to the public on the first pressing of the DVD set.