Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 06-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Ohhhhh I have been waiting for As Good As It Gets. Such a great movie; I'm on it and NOTLD 1990, too. HD first, extras second. Both would be good but I'll take high quality presentation first.
Ditto.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
HD first, extras second. Both would be good but I'll take high quality presentation first.
I agree, but the asking price ($30 + $5 shipping) is still absurd given the blu-ray market. You can get most special edition blu-rays for $15 / $20.

As ridiculous as this may sound to some, if it is going to be barebones I'd almost rather Mill Creek get it, because at least then it will be $5.

If I'm not mistaken, both Mill Creek and Twilight Time are at the mercy of whatever master they are given by the studio. I imagine a release by either company would be comparable in terms of quality.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #18
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I agree, but the asking price ($30 + $5 shipping) is still absurd given the blu-ray market. You can get most special edition blu-rays for $15 / $20.
Well you could wait and end up paying $60+ when it sells out just like what happened with FRIGHT NIGHT.

Everyone who took issue with the price of that one ended up without it or paying almost double for it.

It's worth it to me given that I LOVE the film and it's a fair price as far as I'm concerned for a collector's item.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #19
Dave
Pimp

For someone that used to regularly buy laserdiscs ~$50, I don't mind a $30 bluray. I know it's a different environment these days but supporting an indie studio like this may help us get other stuff Columbia has no interest in, like Idle Hands!
Old 06-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #20
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
For someone that used to regularly buy laserdiscs ~$50, I don't mind a $30 bluray. I know it's a different environment these days but supporting an indie studio like this may help us get other stuff Columbia has no interest in, like Idle Hands!
Or THE BLOB.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #21
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

If I waited, then I just plain wouldn't buy it. If I wasn't willing to pay $35, I'm sure not willing to pay $60. It'd be nice to have it in HD, but it's not like the DVD is unwatchable.

I'd rather put that $35 toward two of the upcoming special edition Scream Factory releases.

Quote:
supporting an indie studio like this may help us get other stuff Columbia has no interest in, like Idle Hands!
I believe Image has Idle Hands, so I don't think Twilight Time will get a hold of it.

Image was actually supposed to release it last February, but they pulled it at the last minute. Not sure why, maybe their Sony releases weren't selling as well as they'd hoped?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #22
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

I guess I was being more general here.

I remember when FRIGHT NIGHT came out almost everyone complained about the price, not just here it was being complained about everywhere, and it sold out after a week of being released. Yes I'm aware it was up four weeks prior for pre-order but the fact is; it sold out.

Those same people were then complaining about the gouging prices on eBay, also not too happy they didn't end up with a copy and they only have themselves to blame.

If I love a film, I want to see it in the best presentation possible - if that means dropping $35, I will. To me it's not much different than snagging a new release at Best Buy for $24.99 or $29.99, or even snagging something on Amazon after shipping costs. Hell I just bought WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN from Amazon and with shipping it was $39.45! Granted the price dropped down to $25 and I got reimbursed the difference since it was a pre-order but the fact of the matter is; that was a pure blind buy, a film I knew nothing about, it was critically praised so I took a chance with it, and I'm sure others who pre-ordered it did as well.

The point here? No one was complaining about the price despite the hefty tag on it.

If I'm willing to drop that on a film I've never seen, you can bet I'm gonna be more than willing to drop it down on a film I grew up on. Especially one I've been waiting for since the format was announced!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #23
buck135
The Duke of New York

I'm sure the picture quality will justify the cost as did Fright Night. Those of us who buy it will need to hang on to the DVD for the extras.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #24
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Twilight Time has a limited opportunity with only 3,000 units available and no major retailers to market their product, so they aren't really operating in the same marketplace as most Blu-Ray publishers. If Twilight Time can sell through their catalog, as they did with Fright Night, at the $35.00 pricepoint, why would they consider lowering it?

If NOTLD '90 sells as well as Fright Night did, Twilight Time probably needs to raise their prices on or discuss renegotiating their license with Sony to allow more copies to be manufactured for sale on a case by case basis. They probably left a lot of money on the table with the Fright Night release because of their quantity restrictions.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #25
tropical marsh
Stalker

Quote:
I believe Image has Idle Hands, so I don't think Twilight Time will get a hold of it.

Image was actually supposed to release it last February, but they pulled it at the last minute. Not sure why, maybe their Sony releases weren't selling as well as they'd hoped?
Image is still putting out the Sony titles they have. Sleepwalkers is getting a BD release in a few months. I really hope they decide to release Idle Hands before their licensing agreement is up--it's a super fun flick.

As for Night of the Living Dead '90--I'm in. Same for Enemy Mine on the same day.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:53 AM   #26
X-human
I ate my keys

People bitched and yet Fright Night still sold out. Hmm...

We should all buy from companies we support like Synapse Films at full MSRP from their website. It's doesn't help much when you buy a used disc, rent or even buying them on sale at near cost. Basically people want something for close to nothing and Twilight Time is saying no. I say good for them. I don't buy all of their releases, and I'm on the fence about this one, but I'd rather have them do it right than Echo Bridge do it wrong or Sony just not do it at all.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #27
buck135
The Duke of New York

The only thing that bugs me is; if you're going to limit a release to 3000 copies, don't permit more than one copy per customer. I have a feeling Fright Night would have lasted more than a week had the ebayers not snatched up more than their share. I strongly recommend those that want it, buy it the day it goes on sale.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #28
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac87 View Post
They're once again not allowed nor budgeted to produce new extras nor access to the ones Sony already has made.
That sounds pretty stupid they can't do that.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #29
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
We should all buy from companies we support like Synapse Films at full MSRP from their website. It's doesn't help much when you buy a used disc, rent or even buying them on sale at near cost. Basically people want something for close to nothing and Twilight Time is saying no. I say good for them. I don't buy all of their releases, and I'm on the fence about this one, but I'd rather have them do it right than Echo Bridge do it wrong or Sony just not do it at all.
The difference being Synapse goes all out for their releases. Twilight Time does not. If companies like Synapse, Shout Factory, or Blue Underground charged $30 for every release, I'd probably be a bit more selective about what I buy from them, but at least I'd know I'd be getting my money's worth.

If I'm not mistaken, Twilight Time is just taking the HD master that the studio provides them with and slapping it on a disc. I don't see how that is any different from what companies like Echo Bridge or Mill Creek is doing?

If the transfer is great, then Sony is to be applauded for that. And Twilight Time's hold on the release prevents any other companies from coming along and getting it right for the next three years.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #30
Vortex
Stalker

^ So, Sony doesn't allow Twilight Time to put extras on these releases, but if some other company got the rights, they'd magically be allowed to? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote