Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 06-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #46
tropical marsh
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
Considering it's been over five years and nobody's bothered to release these I somehow doubt Mill Creek would wake up one morning in a tizzy, call up Sony and say "WE'LL PAY ANYTHING TO GET THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD REMAKE TO FLOOD BARGAIN BINS WITH A SPECIAL UNCUT EDITION!" Realistically what do you expect?
The deal between Sony and Mill Creek was just announced a few months ago. But if you think they would pass up on releasing Fright Night, Night of the Living Dead '90, As Good as It Gets, or Steel Magnolias, then you're delusional. Have you seen some of the shit they've released from the Disney/Buena Vista library? Mill Creek will literally take whatever the fuck they can get.

So the question remains, why does Sony continue to offer titles like Fright Night or NOTLD '90 to Twilight Time, forcing consumers to spend $35 for a fucking catalog title? Sure, I'll buy it and no amount of bitching is going to change anything--but doesn't anybody else find Sony's "strategy" a bit fucking sketchy?? It's one thing if it's some mid-level movie from the '40s or '50s--maybe we do need a company like Twilight Time to rescue these sorts of titles. But $29.95 for Night of the Living Dead '90, when Mill Creek would release the same exact blu-ray for $9.98? Fuckin' Sony....
Old 06-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #47
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Sony looks at these titles like they are 1950's stuff no one knows about or cares for. Bottom line is always money, so this makes sense to the bean-counters at Sony. I have no idea what the diff to Sony is, if they go Mill Creek to Twilight Time though.

Semi-related. I watched Sleepwalkers last night and that really doesn't need to upgraded to BD. The up-converted dvd looked so good my girl literally asked if it was a blu-ray! That is a dvd from 2001, so maybe the NOTLD90 will hold up as well. It's only 2 years older.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #48
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

After hearing all this, and since I already own both NOTLD '90 and Steel Magnolia on DVD, I think I have had a change of heart and I think I will pass on buying them on Blu-Ray, Fright Night, on the other hand, I was very willing to pay the $35.00 for it on Blu-Ray. I'm a huge fan of Fright Night, and I knew that it was going to go for crazy numbers on eBay and even Amazon.com when it sold out.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #49
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildeadfan123 View Post
I'm a huge fan of Fright Night, and I knew that it was going to go for crazy numbers on eBay and even Amazon.com when it sold out.
I am curious to see just how loved this remake is myself. I doubt it sell as quick as Fright Night, but don't doubt it will sell out somewhat soon, just not through pre-orders. If it does sell out in pre-orders, you know it's eBay speculators buying them all. I'm sure some will list them for $100 on the bay before even getting them, I just hope no one buys them from eBayers.

My Fucking DVDS
Old 06-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #50
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I would have thought As Good As It Gets would be a bigger seller, it has only sold about 700 copies so far.

Being a horror title, I'm sure Night Of The Living Dead will sell out. Not sure how long it will take, but I'd guess that it won't last long. Horror fans are a much more devoted audience, and usually more willing to spend the money on collectibles.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #51
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

As Good As It Gets probably hasn't sold well because a) people are reluctant to plop down $30 for a barebones Blu-ray or b) it's a popular title that they feel belongs more on the $10 rack at Best Buy, not exclusively online from a relatively unknown retailer.

NOTLD '90 will NOT sell out. Eventually it might, but it won't be the same situation as Fright Night. FN was a beloved and much-requested title that a lot of people wanted on Blu-ray. Those who really wanted it had no problem buying it right away. NOTLD is more of a curiosity. It's got fans, sure, but not on the same level as FN. It's a film that, like ASAIG, belongs on the ten dollar rack. I like the film. I would love for it to get a real SE but it won't - still gonna buy.
elDomenechHDG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #52
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
NOTLD '90 will NOT sell out.
Yeah, it's not going to sell out too easily if it's $30. Most of the Twilight Time Blu-ray releases haven't sold out yet. There's only a couple that have thus far, one being Fright Night.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #53
tropical marsh
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Yeah, it's not going to sell out too easily if it's $30. Most of the Twilight Time Blu-ray releases haven't sold out yet. There's only a couple that have thus far, one being Fright Night.
Fright Night is actually the only TT title to sell out at this point. But I agree with your assessment, that people are less likely to continue purchasing regular movies through TT's fucked up model. There's nothing special about spending $35 for NOTLD '90 (or even worse, some shit like Steel Magnolias). When the Mill Creek/Sony blu-rays start rolling out, it's gonna become increasingly clear that certain titles should never have been offered to TT.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:01 AM   #54
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical marsh View Post
Fright Night is actually the only TT title to sell out at this point.
You're correct. I thought sure there was one other title that had sold out, but it looks like all of them (minus Fright Night) are still up for sale at Screen Archives.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #55
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

So I gave NOTLD90 a spin last night and it's just as I feared, solved nothing.
Some scenes look beautiful on the dvd and don't need any help, but for each nice looking scene, there's a dirty nasty one right behind it that would greatly benefit from HD. Also just enough long shots to make me think I might need BD.

The audio can use help, that's for sure. While the 2.0 sounds decent and I can hear everything, it would be nice to have distinct channels.

If this was an 8 dollar bargin bin offering from Image I'd say no-brainer, buy it in a second with no second thoughts. That high price tag is what hurts and has me hurting myself on the fence. I love the flick, it was even more fun than recalled. The question is, will it be worth $35? I can't answer that and have no idea if I will or won't buy the BD now. Think I will have to wait for reviews, at least it probably won't sell out quick so there will be time to wait for and read reviews.

Man, I really thought watching the dvd last night would solve this one way or another, but it only made it a tougher choice.

My Fucking DVDS
Old 06-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #56
fceurich39
HackMaster

what would really seal the deal for me if twilight time would put the 1968 version on the blu-ray disc since it is public domain i think if they did that it would probably sell out more quickly than the fright night blu-ray!
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #57
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
what would really seal the deal for me if twilight time would put the 1968 version on the blu-ray disc since it is public domain i think if they did that it would probably sell out more quickly than the fright night blu-ray!
Members on Blu-ray.com stated that CDJapan has the Happinet NOTLD (1968) for less than $30 with shipping. It is region 1 and has the "One for the Fire" doc in HD. I paid over $60 when it came out and I have no regrets.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:40 AM   #58
ronnie21
HackMaster

I seen NOTLD 90 version on universel HD channel a few yrs back, and it looked awesome in HD, doubt the blu ray will looks as good. but i wonder what the artwork will looks like this time??
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #59
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
Members on Blu-ray.com stated that CDJapan has the Happinet NOTLD (1968) for less than $30 with shipping. It is region 1 and has the "One for the Fire" doc in HD. I paid over $60 when it came out and I have no regrets.
The new French blu-ray has that doc.

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/f152639-nui...s-vivants.html
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #60
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
The new French blu-ray has that doc.

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/f152639-nui...s-vivants.html
That sucker is region B though. Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that copy existed.