Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
Shawn Francis
Maniac

The Sleeper (Trailer), Faux Lost 80s Slasher Flick

FANGORIA: The sorority-house slasher movie THE SLEEPER (which we first told you about here), has wrapped shooting, and a trailer is now ready for viewing. You can give it a look, along with an exclusive behind-the-scenes photo and comments about the film and the release of its creators’ previous feature DEATH STOP HOLOCAUST, after the jump.

THE SLEEPER is set the Alpha Gamma Theta sorority house, where the girls are stalked, tormented and slaughtered by a mysterious maniac. “Postproduction is going great,” director Justin Russell tells Fango, “and we’re set for a late May premiere. I am extremely happy with the results, as it looks and feels like a lost ’80s slasher film. I know it won’t disappoint the period fans.

“I have been working a lot on the soundtrack, giving it its own personality,” he continues. “Hopefully it will come across the same way Jason’s ‘ki-ki-ki-ma-ma-ma’ sounds do. When you hear certain tones in the background, you’ll know the killer is right around the corner!”

TRAILER

Last edited by Shawn Francis; 06-16-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Shawn Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Erick H.
HackMaster

Might be worth a look.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Shawn Francis
Maniac

Old 06-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
Shawn Francis
Maniac

We must be getting close to some kind of release, for those really cool retro-styled posters just popped up on the web.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

Soundtrack straight outta Black Christmas.

Looks interesting though.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
Shawn Francis
Maniac

I'm sure it was designed that way. Don't forget the filmmakers wanted to make a flick that looks like a long lost slasher movie.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
bloodthrill
Stalker

Wow,the trailer makes this feel like it will be a lot of fun. Cute girls,splashy kills,and some super-cool, Prom Night-esque phone hissing / gratuitous rotary close-ups.

Sure,all of these homage flicks are essentially carbon copies of the originals,(as best can be achieved in this era),but that's what makes them enjoyable. Very little is coming out with a great amount of originality behind it-might as well revisit the classics. Looking forward to this one,as well as Synapse's upcoming Frat House Massacre, (which I've heard very few negative things about).

A few that have done the late 70s/early 80s slasher trip (at least partially) right:

Gutterballs

Blood Junkie- (could've used more kills,and gotten to the action sooner,but from the dialogue to the clothes, and comically over-sized glasses, could very well be a lost 1989 S.O.V. slasher!)

Easter Bunny Kill! Kill! -(more grindhouse-era sleaze than slasher,but there are a couple of remarkable kills,and great despicable characters, with grimy atmosphere to spare)

Murder Loves Killers Too- (fell short of being great,but awesome premise,and enough standout scenes to make it worth at least a watch)

Blood Night: The Legend Of Mary Hatchet

Dark Ride-(slow-moving and rather cheap-looking,but offered up one of the staples Hooper's Funhouse blatantly ignored-inventive on-screen deaths.The slut character was fun,too.One of the less-successful of those listed, (in my opinion) but pretty entertaining at times)

When a Killer Calls- (sure,it was basically Asylum's budget cash-in for the "Stranger" remake that was hitting theaters at the time,and is un-scary as they come,but this one actually had:

1. a likable final girl with a few friends who show long enough to annoy us,have sex and get killed messily

2. a child who isn't merely implied until the last five minutes,but who the audience actually gets to meet,and get to know a bit

3. genuinely sleazy gratuitousness right out of the 80s sickie "Don't Answer The Phone"

4. A few reasonable gore effects

In short,what a Babysitter slasher should be.

I'm kind of on the fence about Spring Break Massacre.It could have been a boobs-and-blood bonanza for the 2000s,but shot itself in the silicone tit by skimping on the on-screen kills, wasting too much time at the police station as an excuse to attempt a who's-who of horror faces...and Linnea's-yikes!)

Last edited by bloodthrill; 06-18-2011 at 06:59 AM.
bloodthrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #8
bloodthrill
Stalker

repeat post, please delete

Last edited by bloodthrill; 06-17-2011 at 11:11 PM.
bloodthrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodthrill View Post
repeat post, please delete
You can delete your own posts.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #10
bloodthrill
Stalker

Thanks,it wasn't working.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:06 AM   #11
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Murder Loves Killers Too- (fell short of being great,but awesome premise,and enough standout scenes to make it worth at least a watch)

Dark Ride-(slow-moving and rather cheap-looking,but offered up one of the staples Hooper's Funhouse blatantly ignored-inventive on-screen deaths.The slut character was fun,too.One of the less-successful of those listed, (in my opinion) but pretty entertaining at times)
I really enjoyed these two. Terribly underrated slashers.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #12
bloodthrill
Stalker

Glad to see some love for those two, CPT.They tend to catch the most $hit of those I listed.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
Bobholly
Screamy Bopper

Quote:

A few that have done the late 70s/early 80s slasher trip (at least partially) right:

Gutterballs

While I enjoy both of the above films,Gutterballs seems to capture that 80's slasher vibe more. Dark Ride felt more like a ripoff of Funhouse,but still ended up being worth watching.
Bobholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:53 AM   #14
rhett

This is the kind of movie I was hoping would be coming out in droves after Grindhouse/Thanksgiving. Love the 80's trailer and can't wait to watch the finished product. Those posters are raaaaad.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #15
Shawn Francis
Maniac