Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Leviathan (Hellraiser I & 2 Documentary)

I'm not sure if anyone has heard about this, but with the popularity of Crystal Lake Chronicles and Never Sleep Again, it doesn't surprise me that other production companies would jump on the bandwagon and start producing comprehensive documentaries about other popular horror franchises. Here is the low down what to expect:

Quote:
Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II is a feature length documentary uncovering the history, making of, and unknown details of the making of Clive Barkerís Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II films.

With interviews and testimonies from those most closely involved, it will bring a comprehensive insight to these classic cult films.

Following the story of the films from their inception through production to release and their subsequent lives and growing fan base, fans and those less familiar with the films will see the technical skills, the creative ideas, the symbolism, and the legacy of these movies.

Delving deep into the directorís vision and ambitions for the project, Leviathan explores where he came from, where his career had taken him, and the inspiration for the story and world he created... the story of his journey of making them and how close they came to his vision at the time and how he feels about them over 25 years later.
Sounds good enough, I'm a big fan of the first two films (the original Hellraiser being one of my favorite horror films of all time) so I will be keeping an eye out for this one.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
buck135
The Duke of New York

I'll check this out. Had it covered all of the films, I'd buy it.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
Katatonia
Master of Doom

The first two films rank among my favorite horror films ever, so I'm psyched about this.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:02 AM   #4
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

I'll pick it up though I wish they would cover all the films.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:23 AM   #5
rift
Stalker

Yeah 1 and 2 have already been covered ad naseum.

Now a Hellraiser: Bloodline box set with the original cut, commentaries from both directors, etc I'd buy in a heart beat.
rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
Zillamon51
Maniac

I agree, it should cover ALL the films, even the crappy DTV ones. Even if most of that stuff is relegated to the special features. (NSA and CLM have enough extended interviews to cover stuff that wasn't in the main doc pretty well.)
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

I'm pretty sure there IS a doc coming out that cover ALL the films. I think Clive even has a hand in it. I'm pretty sure he designed some new Cenobites exclusively for the doc!
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

Yep. Here's some info.

Unearthed: The Hellraiser Saga

...Clive is contributing to this comprehensive documentary project on the Hellraiser series. First news of this broke in February 2010, followed the next month with news of Clive's involvement, including sharing the creative process of designing a brand new cenobite. Stefan Hutchinson is directing with our good friend Ryan Rotten on writing duties and shooting apparently got underway the following April. No news since then, save a cryptic tweet from Ryan in July 2012...
Ryan Rotten : "Camelot Entertainment Group and MasiMedia are in production on Unearthed: The Hellraiser Saga - an exhaustive documentary on the Clive Barker-created franchise that thrives across various mediums.
"Stefan Hutchinson is directing and I'm writing this beast of a project that will run about 90 minutes but will contain hours and hours of bonus features that delve into the Hellraiser films, comics and more.
"Today, we're happy to announce that Clive Barker is involved in the project and creating a new Cenobite for the documentary. Being Barker's first Cenobite in over a two decades to make it on film, this retrospective will include the complete transformation of a Cenobite from conception to form."

Barker Creating Cenobite for Hellraiser Documentary

By Ryan Rotten, Shock Till You Drop, 16 March 2010

Anthony Masi (Producer) : "This retrospective will be different than the ones we have done for other horror franchises, because the creator, Clive, will be imbuing the project with original and exclusive artwork that will help tell our story. This is something everyone is excited about. Clive's work in the horror genre shares a unique vision that has many complex layers."

Barker Creating Cenobite for Hellraiser Documentary

By Ryan Rotten, Shock Till You Drop, 16 March 2010

Stefan Hutchinson (Director) : "When I was originally thinking about how to approach the material, I came up with the idea of doing it almost as a narrative - as a character explores the universe, we do so with him and find out at the same time as he does. I wanted the character to follow the path of Doctor Channard in the second film - somebody who becomes a Cenobite. At this time, I was simply going to sketch out a new design myself, because I really didn't think we'd get that level of involvement from Clive. Anyhow, Ryan approached him about doing it and he was all for it, which is kinda amazing!"
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Workshed
October!

is that the final cover? Yeesh.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
I agree, it should cover ALL the films, even the crappy DTV ones. Even if most of that stuff is relegated to the special features. (NSA and CLM have enough extended interviews to cover stuff that wasn't in the main doc pretty well.)
In the same vein, one of my favorite supplements of the last little while was the interview on the Scream Factory BD for The Howling where the producer talked for a few minutes on each of the sequels. I often find the stories about the least successful or most obscure entries in a series to be the most interesting.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #11
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
In the same vein, one of my favorite supplements of the last little while was the interview on the Scream Factory BD for The Howling where the producer talked for a few minutes on each of the sequels. I often find the stories about the least successful or most obscure entries in a series to be the most interesting.
I kind of agree. For example, out of all of the interviews and coverage for the Friday the 13th films, I found Rob Hedden's recollections of his original plans for Part VIII and the constant road blocks from executives he came up against to be the most compelling. I feel Kevin Yagher's recollections of Bloodline's production would have a similar impact.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I also really enjoyed that interview. With franchises as long-lasting as F13, HELLRAISER, HOWLING, ANOES, et al., the original entries have been dissected so many times on previous special features while the later entries are given the brush-off, especially when there had been friction between filmmaker and studio. I hope that David Fincher will spill all of his beans about ALIEN3 before he dies.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz-cOvVig6Y

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote