Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-13-2002, 04:52 PM   #1
razorbackattack

Devil's Nightmare/Messiah Of Evil DVD

Does anybody know if the Devil's Nightmare print on this is the uncut version? I've never seen the one released by Redemption/Image. This double feature DVD was put out by Diamond.
Old 07-13-2002, 06:42 PM   #2
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

I don't know if its uncut.
I also bought the Diamond double feature and I'm quite pissed because of the terrible looking transfer they used for MESSIAH OF EVIL. Probably one of the worst looking transfers on DVD I've ever seen.
Grain, dirt, bleeding colors, drop outs, speckles, its all there.
It doesn't help much that Diamond secretly enhanced MESSIAH OF EVIL's pan&scan print in 16:9 either.

Damn, this film deserves better!!!

MESSIAH OF EVIL is a great little underrated zombie thriller and offers some decent acting, creepy atmosphere, a little gore and Anitra Ford!

I wish some other company (Anchor Bay?) would pick up the rights and put it out on DVD using the original 35 mm negative (2.35:1 aspect ratio).

Oh well....

Movie Tracker 2015
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 08:58 PM   #3
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Yes, DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE is uncut but I would personally recommend getting the Redemption/Image DVD, as it has the upper hand as far as picture quality is concerned, plus it has the foreign soundtrack with alternate musis and the trailer. I assume the Diamond disc was pulled from the Redemption LD.

MESSIAH OF EVIL looks like it was mastered using Video Gems VHS release, so don't expect it to look very good, as the tape was in pretty rough and dark shape to begin with.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 07:05 PM   #4
razorbackattack

God damn, this Messiah of Evil flick is fucking WEIRD!! I love it, creepy 70's horror is always a blessing for me. I'm glad I finally got to see it even though the quality is shit. Better than a moth-eaten video tape though.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:05 AM   #5
Richard Anthony
Stalker

Does the Diamond DVD of THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE have the special introductory footage before the film?
Richard Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 07:43 AM   #6
bloodthirsty

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Anthony
Does the Diamond DVD of THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE have the special introductory footage before the film?
NOPE!
Old 11-09-2002, 03:45 PM   #7
dvdasia62

Re: Devil's Nightmare/Messiah Of Evil DVD

Quote:
Originally posted by razorbackattack
Does anybody know if the Devil's Nightmare print on this is the uncut version? I've never seen the one released by Redemption/Image. This double feature DVD was put out by Diamond.
The film is presented uncut with a weird Redemption introduction and in excellent widescreen V/A on Brentwoods "Fright Night" boxset. Plus, your only paying like $1.20 for it then you buy the boxset as you'll get it and 9 other films for like $12.99!!! The print is excellent on the set.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:14 PM   #8
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

The Brentwood/Diamond releases are illegal bootlegs (even if it was actually PD --which it's not -- it's illegal for them to steal another company's transfer, which is exactly what they did). The Redemption DVD also gives you a trailer and another language track with alternate music cues. Support the people who actually license these films and put the work into restoring them - not bootleg outfits.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:36 PM   #9
dvdasia62

Quote:
Originally posted by bruce h
The Brentwood/Diamond releases are illegal bootlegs (even if it was actually PD --which it's not -- it's illegal for them to steal another company's transfer, which is exactly what they did). The Redemption DVD also gives you a trailer and another language track with alternate music cues. Support the people who actually license these films and put the work into restoring them - not bootleg outfits.
Wrong. Sorry, but if this was sooooooo iilegal, there is simply no way these companies would be able to do this and not get shut down, especially with the wide exposure of the internet. These guys are not exactly hiding, and do u know why? Because they ARE NOT doing anything illegal. I think your grasping for straws here because of your strange and unsubstantiated hate for wonderful service providers like Brentwood. Pick up the Fright Night set by Brentwood for a fantastic print of "Devil's Nightmare" and some other really good films for a really inexpensive price.

Last edited by dvdasia62; 11-09-2002 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:32 PM   #10
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

It is completely illegal copyright infringement.

For the sake of those who still don't get it, it goes like this - once upon a time an alternate title or edit of these films was created and registered. Since then the copyright of these alternate version wasn't renewed, simply because the company responsible usually disbanded. Because the copyright of THESE versions entered PD, these cheapo bootleggers simply grab whatever shitty transfer they can -- via VHS or LD -- and throw it on DVD with the title of whatever is no longer registed, even though that's in fact NOT the version they've released. It's illegal bootlegging, and it's glossed over because of the loophole. In order to prove the law is in fact being broken it would take a lengthy and costly trial to prove and enforce, the time and money of which most companies can't expend.

Your cheapness doesn't excuse their copyright violations.

As for DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE, Redemption did the remastering work, so Brentwood should get the money? Bullshit. On top of the copyright theft, it's also illegal to use someone else's transfer without their express permission - which they did not get.

I can understand buying one of these if it's your only means to see a film - I've done it myself - but to recommend one of these bootlegs over a legit release is simply reprehensible. They're NOT doing us a favor, all these cheap releases are doing is helping to ensure that we WON'T be seeing better versions. The only way to combat this is to not support them.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:09 AM   #11
dvdasia62

Quote:
Originally posted by bruce h
It is completely illegal copyright infringement.

For the sake of those who still don't get it, it goes like this - once upon a time an alternate title or edit of these films was created and registered. Since then the copyright of these alternate version wasn't renewed, simply because the company responsible usually disbanded. Because the copyright of THESE versions entered PD, these cheapo bootleggers simply grab whatever shitty transfer they can -- via VHS or LD -- and throw it on DVD with the title of whatever is no longer registed, even though that's in fact NOT the version they've released. It's illegal bootlegging, and it's glossed over because of the loophole. In order to prove the law is in fact being broken it would take a lengthy and costly trial to prove and enforce, the time and money of which most companies can't expend.

Your cheapness doesn't excuse their copyright violations.

As for DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE, Redemption did the remastering work, so Brentwood should get the money? Bullshit. On top of the copyright theft, it's also illegal to use someone else's transfer without their express permission - which they did not get.

I can understand buying one of these if it's your only means to see a film - I've done it myself - but to recommend one of these bootlegs over a legit release is simply reprehensible. They're NOT doing us a favor, all these cheap releases are doing is helping to ensure that we WON'T be seeing better versions. The only way to combat this is to not support them.
Bullshit, Bullshit! More pompous DVD snobbery and propoganda! Live with it son because these budget companies are here to stay and me and thousands of others will continue to support them and if we see fit, will upgrade to better versions if us cheap people can afford it. Your totally full of it Bruce and your ramblings are laughable. Now, off to buy some alpha disc's in your honor!
Old 11-10-2002, 04:30 AM   #12
McBride_01

Even if it is illegal, if I can get a movie for $1.50 versus $17 - $20, I'm sure as hell going to do it! Especially if its a flick I'm not too estatic over or haven't seen.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:52 AM   #13
Wez4555
Happy Trees Motherfucker!

i kinda use the cheap ones to see if its a movie i like. for instance, i got the one with house on the edge of the park. i watched and enjoyed it. so when SS's version comes out, you can bet your ass im going to pick it up. i think most of the people here would buy a better version of a movie they really like. im not saying whats illegal or not (cause i dont know shit about it), but thats just how i do it.
Wez4555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:42 AM   #14
CJ

Cheapskates!

Personally, if I want a film (even if it's just a passing interest), I'll buy the best version available. That's me.

Though I am baffled as to why anyone would recommend an inferior version over a superior one..?
Old 11-11-2002, 05:34 AM   #15
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I love the fact of being able to catch these cult films for so cheap. You can't rent them anywhere, and even if you did, it wouldn't be that cheap!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote