Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 11-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #61
Steel76
Maniac

The colors on the Arrow disc looks much better and more natural.
On the BU disc they have cranked them up too much in some places.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #62
Marv Inc.
Stalker

Beaver review,

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare3/zombie.htm
Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #63
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Inc. View Post
That was posted 7 posts before yours, on the previous page.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #64
Midnight Buddha
Stalker

http://www.facebook.com/ArrowVid?ref=ts&fref=ts

Arrow Facebook page, great for pics and info.

Can`t wait for mine

Last edited by Midnight Buddha; 11-26-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Midnight Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #65
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Inc. View Post
Yeah, you can really tell in the close up of Olga Karlatos's two eyes that the Arrow has much better definition. The hair in the eye brows are much more defined as well as her head of hair. You can see many of the stray hairs perfectly in focus which on the BU look out of focus because of the DNR. You also get a good look at the grain structure over the extreme out of focus background and can see it's well represented on the Arrow which is nearly vacant on the BU.

My hat's off to Arrow who took all of the criticism about their transfers and did something to fix it. I do like the warm color timing better on BU; it has more of a tone consistent with Italian jungle pictures at the time. But it's a minor difference. This helps to show what many have come to conclude about BU: they DNR too much. But what I've learned is that there's always a second chance at another version from somebody else. That Arrow can now be that somebody else really shows how difficult the transition to Blu-ray has been for Bill Lustig.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #66
norwegianfaust
Screamy Bopper

Hmm, the arrow looks superior as far as resolution / details and color and skin tones are concerned. I'm not too impressed by the contrast though. Is it just me, or is it WAY to bright with overblown whites and greyed out shadows? The BU looks far more balanced in that regard.
norwegianfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #67
Marv Inc.
Stalker

intresting interview here about the resteration http://www.avforums.com/forums/podca...l#post18059011
Marv Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #68
spawningblue
Deadite

It seems like most reviewers prefer the Arrow release but I don't know. The skin tones look off to me, the whole image looks too bright actually.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #69
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
It seems like most reviewers prefer the Arrow release but I don't know. The skin tones look off to me, the whole image looks too bright actually.
Agreed, the contrast just looks way too bright in the screenshots I've seen. The Arrow looks slightly better in terms of color in a few that I saw, but in some of the others I actually prefer the BU colors. I'll just stick with the BU Blu-ray.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #70
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Pretty positive Mondo Digital review:

http://www.mondo-digital.com/zombie.html
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #71
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

I received and watched my steelbook and it looks wonderful. Arrow definitely have the better transfer between them and the BU release. I enjoy the film a great deal and love the extras, so I won't be getting rid of my BU blu-ray nor the Media Blasters 25th anniversary release.

This and the Jaws digibook are my 2 favorite blu-rays this year.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #72
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviniFan View Post
I received and watched my steelbook and it looks wonderful. Arrow definitely have the better transfer between them and the BU release. I enjoy the film a great deal and love the extras, so I won't be getting rid of my BU blu-ray nor the Media Blasters 25th anniversary release.
same here, although i haven't gotten around to watching it yet. its the first blu ray steelbook i've bought. i'm not all that enamoured of steelbooks, but i have to say, this one is a really nice package.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #73
Marv Inc.
Stalker

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/...ers-uk-blu-ray
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #74
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Ok, so here's something weird. I have a Samsung home theater that is without a doubt a Region A only player. I bought Arrow's Zombie Flesh Eaters Region B disc for the same reason I bought Arrow's Region B locked Demons discs. They're limited editions and I am eventually getting a region free player so I wanted to grab them now before they go out of print so I'll have them when I get around to getting my region free player. Besides, the disc of extras on the Zombie Flesh Eaters set was Region ABC so at least I could watch that. I put in the extras disc of Arrow's Zombie set and it wouldn't play. I didn't get a message on my screen saying that the region coding was not compatable, it would just say "loading" and then stop. So I started playing around with it and I found that by continuously pressing the "disc menu" button it would start playing the sound only, so I then pressed the play button and a-ha! Worked perfectly. Obviously I found this odd since it's supposed to be a region ABC disc, but whatever, at least it worked. Then I figured what the hell, let me try the first disc in the set, which is the movie itself and clearly marked Region B. Guess what. Same result as the extras disc. Keep pressing the "disc menu" button, which gets me the sound, then press play and the picture comes on and plays flawlessly! Anyone ever heard of anything like this? And yes, I tried my Region B Arrow Demons discs using the same trick and they right away let me know on the screen that my player and the disc's regions do not match. That message never came on my screen with the Zombie Flesh Eaters disc.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #75
Matt89
HackMaster

Cn anyone try this on a US PS3?

~Matt

Tags
zombie arrow blu