Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Classic

Old 07-15-2015, 03:31 AM   #1
X-human
I ate my keys

Son of Frankenstein, Ghost/Meets Wolfman/House/House-o-Dracula 4K Restorations

While not indicative of a Blu-ray release, Home Theater Forum reports:
Quote:
Universal posted their Q2 report today. You may be interested in some of the on-going projects.

Mastering & Restoration

- Completed 4k feature restoration project: Spartacus

- Continued to work on the 4k restorations of: “Animal Crackers”, “Cocoanuts”, “Duck Soup”, “Horse Feathers”, “Monkey Business”, My Man Godfrey” and “Shanghai Express”. These will be completed in Q3

- Began 4k restoration work on “Ghost of Frankenstein”, “Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman”, “House of Dracula”, “House of Frankenstein”, “Son of Frankenstein” and “The King of Jazz”. These will be completed in Q4

- Began 4k restoration work on silent features: “Last Warning”, “Oh Doctor” and “Outside the Law”. These will be completed near the end of 2015

- Began film element research and scan tests for the 4k restoration of “One Eyed Jacks”, Marlon Brando’s only directorial effort. This work is being partially funded by the Film Foundation

- Completed standard (non-restoration) feature re-mastering work on “Phantom Lady”. Also began standard re-mastering work on “Something for a Lonely Man”, “Winchester ‘73”, “Desperado Outlaw Wars” and “Desperado Badlands Justice”
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...re-to-blu-ray/

There's good speculation that this info is a leak, and just because there's a 4k restoration doesn't necessarily mean a Blu-ray release will soon follow suit (although in the case of Spartacus it has). These are all also the Frankenstein related features, which is a curious choice. A Frankenstein set for next year? But that makes a Dracula and/or Wolfman set more difficult to sell down the road...

It's also disappointing to read that neither Phantom of the Opera nor Hunchback of Notre Dame are in the queue with the other silent films (although Chaney is). It casts some doubt in my mind if they'll ever tackle their public domain films.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:34 AM   #2
buck135
The Duke of New York

If Universal goes through with a second collection completing the original monster movies, I will recant everything I've ever said about them. This possible blu-ray set would make my year. They did such an amazing job with the originals.

Last edited by buck135; 07-15-2015 at 01:06 PM.
buck135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:57 AM   #3
othervoice1
HackMaster

I love Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman. Even after I bought the universal monsters set I kept the dvd versions since they had extra movies such as this one. The Wolfman and Creature from the Black Lagoon dvds were a must keep for me because of the other movies included.
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
zbinks
Time Fades Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
It's also disappointing to read that neither Phantom of the Opera nor Hunchback of Notre Dame are in the queue with the other silent films (although Chaney is). It casts some doubt in my mind if they'll ever tackle their public domain films.
One-Eyed Jacks is either legit public domain or frequently mistaken for being public domain, so there may be some hope.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
shape22
HackMaster

Thanks for the much-needed good news X-Human! More Universal on Blu-ray is always welcome. And I'm a HUGE fan of Son of Frankenstein and Frankenstein Meets The Wolf-Man. Talk about 2 films that should look sensational in hi-def. Maybe Son will finally get the special edition treatment it's always deserved. Here's hoping!
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote