Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 06-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Shawn Francis
Maniac

Full Moon Releases Slew Of Remastered Flicks!

From the Press Release
For over thirty years Charles Band has been creating modern day horror classics such as Puppetmaster, Trancers and Subspecies. According to Charles Band, Chairman and Founder of Full Moon Features, “After testing the Blu-ray market with the original Puppetmaster, and Subspecies, Full moon will move forward with additional Blu-ray releases of the best selling titles in the Full Moon catalog. The fan response has been overwhelming in support of Blu-ray, and they are demanding more. Featuring wide-screen 16:9 fully remastered picture and sound, these transfers have never looked more beautiful, and we’ll re-release the titles on DVD as well.”

On September 18th, 2012, the premiere Full Moon Blu-ray releases will be the first three Puppetmaster films, available individually and as a three-disc set. Subsequent releases will include sequels from the Subspecies and Trancers franchises, as well as classic films directed by Stuart Gordon such as Pit and the Pendulum starring Lance Henkrisen and Castle Freak starring Jeffrey Combs.

Other Full Moon classics seeing release on Blu-ray for the first time include Dollman and Dollman vs. The Demonic Toys starring Tim Thomerson, Vampire Journals, Doctor Mordrid, Demonic Toys, Head of the Family and more to be announced later in 2012. They will be available for the low price of only $14.98! Plans are to release two Blu-rays a month with an exact release schedule announced shortly. Here are the details for the first installment:

Puppetmaster BD $14.98
Puppet Master 2 BD $14.98
Puppet Master 3 BD $14.98
Puppet Master BD 3-disc set $39.98
Puppet Master remastered DVD $9.98
Puppet Master 2 remastered DVD $9.98
Puppet Master 3 remastered DVD $9.98
Puppet Master DVD 3-pack set $24.98
Shawn Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Excellent news, I will definitely be grabbing 2 and 3.

Is this Puppet Master blu-ray going to be the same one that was already released?
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yeeeeeeeeessssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU FULL MOON!!!
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Katatonia
In Death's Shadow

I'd gladly buy them, if their Blu-rays didn't rot.

How many people have the Puppet Master Blu-ray that's rotted? I know at least several on this forum. And forget about Full Moon even replying about the problem.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
I'd gladly buy them, if their Blu-rays didn't rot.
Yikes! I own Puppet Master, Subspecies, and Axis Of Evil. No issues so far, fingers crossed!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Katatonia
In Death's Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Yikes! I own Puppet Master, Subspecies, and Axis Of Evil. No issues so far, fingers crossed!
Apparently it was only the original defective Puppet Master Blu-ray, and also the "replacement" Blu-ray.

The ones sold now should be the newer discs, but it makes me hesitant to buy any Blu-ray from FM as soon as they release it given their problems. First the audio snafu on the orignal pressing, and then the "replacement" disc pressing was also defective with the rotting problem.

I don't think Full Moon even wants to acknowledge the issue to be perfectly honest. They've never replied to contact emails or on their Facebook page about it.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Castle Freak on Blu? I'm in! Pit also, hope they don't rot.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Castle Freak on Blu? I'm in! Pit also, hope they don't rot.
I find most FM titles pretty dull honestly, but for some reason Castle Freak has remained in my memory as one of the better ones.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
deepred
Maniac

I hope my newest copy of Puppet Master doesn't rot. I'd rather pay $19.99 for a quality disc. Then $14.99 x 2.

I definitely want Puppet Master 2 and 3. 2 will finally be released without that annoying flicker (hopefully).

I also want the 1st 3 Subspecies, Castle Freak and Dark Angel: Ascent.

Last edited by deepred; 06-28-2012 at 09:45 PM.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
spawningblue
Deadite

I heard the video quality on the Subspecies was awful, worst then the HD broadcast version. Puppet Master looked okay I guess. Either way they need to step up their game is they want to release Blu Rays, and including some new extras would be nice as well.

As well, they should have just released all the Puppet Master films on Blu in a box set, and then say they are limited, but continue to find more and more of them in their vaults.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

I'll grab part 2 and 3 on DVD for sure. I'm not thrilled with their Blu Rays, PUPPET MASTER was a marginal upgrade from the DVD at best and I'm not expecting these two to be much different.

Now all they need to do is release parts 4 and 5 so I can complete the set.

Yes I'm disregarding CURSE OF THE PUPPET MASTER and RETRO PUPPET MASTER; why? Quite frankly, because they suck.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I'd love to get Tourist Trap and The Dead Hate The Living.

Seems like Full Moon is one format behind. Their DVDs look like VHS, their blu-rays look like DVDs. Maybe by the time we reach the next format, their movies will start looking hi-def. Either way, it is nice to have them in widescreen. Puppet Master and Subspecies were a huge improvement, even if they were far from perfect.

I haven't watched Axis Of Evil yet, but I'm curious how that looks. The trailers for newer movies on the other discs definitely looked hi-def, so I imagine their new films look great on blu-ray.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

All my Full Moon BD discs are fine as well...no apparent rot on PM, PM: AOE, or Subspecies.

I'll gladly pick up all the Full Moon BD's because they are all probably going to be substantial upgrades to their DVD counterparts....even if the BD's themselves are mediocre compared to other BD's on the market.

Fantastic news.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
As well, they should have just released all the Puppet Master films on Blu in a box set, and then say they are limited, but continue to find more and more of them in their vaults.
Ha, ha...YES! I remember when the DVD sets were selling for $300 or so on ebay, and then magically they found some more deep down in the bowels of their warehouse. $100 was way to much for those sets, it's hard to believe people were paying 3 times that much.

I recently watched this series again and it's certainly a mixed bag. David Allen's stop motion work is great however, and really holds up.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #15
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

+1 for Tourist Trap. Does Full Moon actually control the rights to it? I had a copy of the film on VHS from Paramount. This is one movie that still packs a punch - it holds up very well. Creepy stuff.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote