Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 07-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Dracula Vs. Frankenstein on Blu-ray and DVD from Media Blasters!

Media Blasters is set to release Dracula Vs. Frankenstein on Blu-ray and DVD!:

http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50070
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

One of my all-time favorite bad movies. "Remastered for optimal quality" remains to be seen. I have low expectations for the Blu-ray, but consider me somewhat interested.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Al Adamson on blu-ray? Who would've thought? Media Blasters are releasing DRACULA VS. FRANKENSTEIN in hi-def through their Shriek Show arm. The story basically involves ol' Drac digging up the Frankenstein Monster and trying to get him reanimated, but there's so much more going on: outlaw bikers, missing sisters, a rampaging axe-murderer, hippie communes, sideshows replete with ticket-taking midgets, etc., etc.

No word on print source yet, but MGM Restorationist Darren Gross had this to say on my Facebook page (in response to Fred Olen Ray wondering how good it could look): "The main title sequence was shot in 35mm, the rest in 16mm. If they use a clone of MGM's HD transfer, it will look gorgeous. We used the 16mm originals for the body of the transfer and 35mm originals for the main title. Still grainy, of course, but it's the best it will ever look!"

Pre-order links:
DVD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0081AWUVI
Blu: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0081AWV9Y

The trailer:
http://youtu.be/wGspm80jaZg

bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

I remember trailers for this airing on TV when I was a kid. I was obsessed with the mushy-faced Frankenstein's monster.
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Gore Lunatic
Violenza Carnale

Heard of it but never seen it. Looks like a lot of fun though. For that price I might just give it a shot.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
X-human
I ate my keys

MGM is fueling THIS network with anything they can get their hands on cheap so they may have licensed the HD transfer from the rights owners making it likely Media Blasters will be using the same elements. It's a good idea for Media Blasters to do a quick cheap turn around for easy money which they really need right about now.

At $15 I'll probably pick it up soon.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

One of my all time favorites as a kid. Definitely getting it!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Deep Discount currently lists the Dracula VS Frankenstein Blu-ray at $9.49.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satans-sadists View Post
deep discount currently lists the dracula vs frankenstein blu-ray at $9.49.
thanks!!!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
shape22
HackMaster

I wouldn't worry too much about transfer quality on this one. The MGMHD broadcast version was truly startling. After years of watching the terrible full-frame Troma DVD I was absolutely dumb struck the first time I saw it. It looks better than I ever imagined was possible.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #11
othervoice1
HackMaster

looks pretty funny - is that Frankenstein or Leatherface ? lol never seen this so I might give it a chance. Lon Chaney Jr must have been hurtin for some cash by the time the 70's came around
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #12
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by othervoice1 View Post
lol never seen this so I might give it a chance. Lon Chaney Jr must have been hurtin for some cash by the time the 70's came around
I'd definitely rate this a must-see cheesy bad film. The production values are horrendous and there's not a legitimately effective moment in the whole flick. But it's chock-full of bad effects, technical blunders, and all kinds of unintentional humor. The portrayal of Dracula is utterly ridiculous--and just as bad as the makeup for the Frankenstein monster. Some of Dracula's dialogue has to be heard to be believed.

It's definitely pathetic to see how much Chaney and J. Carrol Naish had deteriorated by the time they appeared here. Those guys definitely deserved some more dignified twilight roles. Seeing them like that always makes me a little sad. They both look like they have less than 2 hours to live.

Be sure to put down your drink when Forrest Ackerman's cameo starts. Otherwise his conversation with Dracula might make you spit all over yourself.

If you enjoy trashy horror flicks from this era you can't go wrong with this one. DVD Pacific's Blu-ray pre-order price is only $8.24.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #13
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
It's definitely pathetic to see how much Chaney and J. Carrol Naish had deteriorated by the time they appeared here. Those guys definitely deserved some more dignified twilight roles. Seeing them like that always makes me a little sad. They both look like they have less than 2 hours to live.
Funny story about that. I can't remember where I read it, but both men were extremely sick at the time this was filmed, Chaney with cancer and Naish with emphysema (although unlike in the movie, he wasn't actually confined to a wheelchair). And they both knew how sick they were, and one day on the set somebody walked by the dressing room that the two men shared and heard them talking.

CHANEY: Well, I guess we're both going to die pretty soon.

NAISH: Oh shut up, Lon.

Last edited by Jeremy; 07-16-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
Zillamon51
Maniac

I wouldn't pay a dollar for this shit. I watched it on Netflix several months ago. It's not a fun, "so bad it's good" movie, it's just plain bad. One of the worst I've seen.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 AM   #15
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about transfer quality on this one. The MGMHD broadcast version was truly startling. After years of watching the terrible full-frame Troma DVD I was absolutely dumb struck the first time I saw it. It looks better than I ever imagined was possible.
They showed it on this channel??? I just got it and love it!! What a great station for fans of horror/scifi and exploitation. I can't believe what they are showing!